Cab Talk

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Re: Cab Talk

Postby jedamum » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:07 pm

when i was still working, i usually take a cab back home as i knocked off at around 9pm. i usually looked forward to such chats with cab drivers as i find that some of them have really interesting stories to tell (at times their political insights). :)
a couple of them have very intelligent children and only drives as they are retired. a couple of them were in managerial postings before retrenchment. a few of them are in between jobs. some share stories of weird passagers. enjoyable tales. :D

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby silverhorse » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:37 pm

I do agree, I take cabs during weekends when i send my DS to classes. Some give really good advice abt bringing up good kids, some lament about the older days... interesting!

silverhorse
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kiddo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:44 pm

insider wrote:Last Saturday I took a cab to a friend's house.
I chatted with the cab man in Hokkien.

Elderly cabman asked me I visiting that place for what and I told him to play mahjong.
He told me he has 6 kids, all graduated from unis and gainfully employed. Then I asked how much monthly allowance the kids give him and how come he didn't want to retire.
He replied per month he and wife will get a total of about $4000 from the six kids BUT both of them save up the money and didn't spend any part of it FOR JUST IN CASE any of the kids need any financial help, then they can help. He and wife still spending on the income that he makes from driving cab.
I said, 'Aiyo, uncle ah, should bring wife to go and tour and spend the money happily. Buy an OSIM 天王椅, go eat at good restaurants, etc. "

Then, I went on to my usual 'lecture' of it's only when a parent 看不起 own kids will have means to make enough, then such parent will reject or not spending kids' money. With this mentality, then the kids will not be able to make 'easier' money coz got no positive 'qi/karma' to make money flow easier into their pockets; that he and wife think they doing kids good but actually it's the opposite.
He laughed at my 'theory' and said he will discuss with wife about it.

From his conversation, it seems like he is a very good down to earth and hardworking man though seems illiterate kind (a cabman able to bring up 6 kids all completed unis!)

My cab fare was $7.40 and I paid him $8.00 and asked him to keep the change.
He insisted No, No, No, and wanted to change me the $0.60.
I laughed and gave him a playful stare, telling him 'Uncle, there you go again. You drove well and be rewarded with a little change and you well deserve it. Say your thank you and help me to accumulate my 'qi' so that I can win some money at the mahjong table."

He laughed and accepted the $0.60 and said again he will talk to wife about this 'interesting' customer he met today.
That night, I won $300+...

I love this theory :rubhands: More "qi"......so I dont feel guilty about spending
So this Xmas ....many people will love me more :hugs: :snuggles: :heresmyfish:

kiddo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiddo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:49 pm

insider wrote:We had a good chat and I was like have met a 知己。
He may be a good Christian coz before I alighted from his cab, he threw me his last words “祝福你”。 Many people may have wished me, “God bless you” and this is the first time I heard a Chinese “祝福你!”.

I returned his well wishes before I closed the door with a “我也祝福你!”
I really enjoy chatting with cabmen.
Among them, 卧虎藏龙……

These are some of those 卧虎藏龙 i alway love chat up in every cab without fail...
very interesting life some have and interesting people and stories,

Its feel sometime like reading a book about "real people real stories" :hi5:

kiddo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby peapot » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:52 pm

I didn't know "zhu fu ni" means you're a christain.

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby silverhorse » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:42 am

I think most cab drivers are against this increment. Read today's ST.
As for me, I'll minimize taking cabs ( normally I take on weekends only). Everything is increasing..... :(

silverhorse
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Recess Time