Singapore Chess Federation - need info

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Singapore Chess Federation - need info

Postby tisha » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:20 pm

Plannig to enrol my DS(12 yr old) to some chess class for the dec holidays. From google search, came across singapore chess federation. Anyone is a member of it? Any inputs on the courses they conduct. Do you have any other chess course to recommend in the norht area?

tisha
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Singapore Chess Federation - need info

Postby MandyMummy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:25 pm

tisha wrote:Plannig to enrol my DS(12 yr old) to some chess class for the dec holidays. From google search, came across singapore chess federation. Anyone is a member of it? Any inputs on the courses they conduct. Do you have any other chess course to recommend in the norht area?

Does weiqi count? They have courses in Bishan and City area.

http://www.weiqi.org.sg/

MandyMummy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby vlim » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:27 pm

hi tisha,
they have holiday courses for a few level starting from beginners. I brought my ds down for assessment and he is qualified for the intermediate level. If your ds know how to play, you can bring him down (bishan cc branch) for assessment to see which level is suitable for him. But call them up for the time u should go down first. Now, I am still waiting for their call as the date which I want has no confirm class yet.. :smile:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:28 pm

vlim wrote:hi tisha,
they have holiday courses for a few level starting from beginners. I brought my ds down for assessment and he is qualified for the intermediate level. If your ds know how to play, you can bring him down (bishan cc branch) for assessment to see which level is suitable for him. But call them up for the time u should go down first. Now, I am still waiting for their call as the date which I want has no confirm class yet.. :smile:

..oops I am talking about international chess holiday courses :wink:..
u can visit the below link for more info :smile:
http://www.singaporechess.org.sg/new/?p=12784

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HyperKiasu » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Hi, tisha,

Since sch holiday My DS attended SCF training and completed 4 sessions (total 5 sessioins). His is Combo Chess Training which comprises 1 hr of theory, 1hr 40 min practice (clock simultaneous training vs the instructor) and Feedback (20min, trainer's debrief).

DS simply enjoyed it so i sign up another Combo Chess Training after the current one ends.

btw, his current class maxium 6 trainees. and the fee is S$30 per session. they also provided hand-out to bring home. quite systematic....

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby tisha » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:31 pm

MandyMummy wrote:
tisha wrote:Plannig to enrol my DS(12 yr old) to some chess class for the dec holidays. From google search, came across singapore chess federation. Anyone is a member of it? Any inputs on the courses they conduct. Do you have any other chess course to recommend in the norht area?

Does weiqi count? They have courses in Bishan and City area.

http://www.weiqi.org.sg/

Thanks, MandyMummy. Not sure if DS is interested in weiqi. Will check with him.

tisha
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tisha » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:32 pm

Thanks, vlim. Will go down to check it out.

tisha
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tisha » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:33 pm

vlim wrote:

..oops I am talking about international chess holiday courses :wink:..
u can visit the below link for more info :smile:
http://www.singaporechess.org.sg/new/?p=12784

Why oops, this is exactly what I needed info about. :smile:

tisha
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tisha » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:35 pm

HyperKiasu wrote:Hi, tisha,

Since sch holiday My DS attended SCF training and completed 4 sessions (total 5 sessioins). His is Combo Chess Training which comprises 1 hr of theory, 1hr 40 min practice (clock simultaneous training vs the instructor) and Feedback (20min, trainer's debrief).

DS simply enjoyed it so i sign up another Combo Chess Training after the current one ends.

btw, his current class maxium 6 trainees. and the fee is S$30 per session. they also provided hand-out to bring home. quite systematic....

Thanks HyperKiasu. Sound good to me. Fees quite reasonable as well. Hope my DS enjoys too.

tisha
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby HyperKiasu » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:26 pm

You are welcome Tisha.

S$30 per session for a class of 6 lasting 3 hrs is really reasonable.
You migh find other courses even cheaper than this.

this yr SCF is celebrating its 50th Anniversay. So quite a number of events and training courses in Dec holiday.

Hope your DS enjoy the courses. :lol:

btw, your DS can register with http://www.chess.com to play online chess. It is much better than play computer game when they are free....

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time