Any camera to recommend?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Any camera to recommend?

Postby i3mum » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:45 pm

Dear all

I would like to buy a camera, but have no idea which model to get. I would love one that can take pictures like those professional shots, but not a DSLR camera because it's too bulky and costly.

I went to Best Denki and the salesman recommended Sony nex 3( the older model). I tried and looked at the photos taken & i like it . But I had 2 Sony cameras previously and it went faulty quite fast... So kinda have bad experience.

Anyone has any comment or any recommendation for camera?

i3mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Any camera to recommend?

Postby limlim » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:21 pm

I tend to prefer Canon..

Photography is all about light.. And for a camera, glass matters more then electronics, if not the same..

Few camera makers manufacturer their own glass.. and many brands are mostly electronic manufacturers, using other pple's glass.. althou some sony camera is using reowned glass like carl zess.. but how well they can integrate it with their electronics.... and work flawlessly.... guess from your own experience you know the answers..

anyway.. just my 2cts..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby UncleLim » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:04 pm

i3mum wrote:Dear all

I would like to buy a camera, but have no idea which model to get. I would love one that can take pictures like those professional shots, but not a DSLR camera because it's too bulky and costly.

I went to Best Denki and the salesman recommended Sony nex 3( the older model). I tried and looked at the photos taken & i like it . But I had 2 Sony cameras previously and it went faulty quite fast... So kinda have bad experience.

Anyone has any comment or any recommendation for camera?

i3mum,

Your question is a very dangerous one. Once you talk about choice of cameras, all hell will break loose and then you will have to consider Nikon, Canon, DSLR, compacts, micro 4/3, sensor size, lens, etc etc. There is no end to it.

Do you will have to define your most common use for this camera. What are the events that you will use it for? Holidays and travels? Kids's concerts, sports days and birthday parties? Do you already have another camera lying around at home which you are not happy with?

(Sorry to make such a fun topic sound like an ISD interview!) :wink: :evil:

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:34 pm

I'm also looking for a camera, I lost mine.

hmmmm, I just want one that take good pics. Most of the pics are of my kids, inside the home, outside playing, day and night time.

What's digital zoom?

What max zoom to look out for digital camera or is it more or less the same?

What's the min pixel, not sure if use the correct term, if most of the time I just want to print a 4R pic?

For printing of photo, does the camera affect the colours, if so which brand and model is better?

For idiot proof cameras, are all created the same or is some better than others? If yes, which brand or model is better?

That's all the technical questions I know how to ask.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:55 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:hmmmm, I just want one that take good pics. Most of the pics are of my kids, inside the home, outside playing, day and night time.

most branded camera makers are ok (canon, nikon, oly, pentax etc..)

aka.. not unknown china brand.

SAHM_TAN wrote:What's digital zoom?

something that you should not consider when buying cameras. Only look for optical zoom.

digital zoom = magnification at expense of picture quality. (just a short statement.. instead of long winded theory....... :wink: )

SAHM_TAN wrote:What max zoom to look out for digital camera or is it more or less the same?

it can differ greatly.. standard is like 3x.. but some PnS can go 20x ?

you decide what you wanna shoot, then consider if the cam you're considering can meet your needs.

e.g. take group pictures indoor, is it wide enough? (go for 24mm or less)

take bird pictures, does it have the reach? ( 400mm or more )

SAHM_TAN wrote:What's the min pixel, not sure if use the correct term, if most of the time I just want to print a 4R pic?

Most handphone cameras can do that. Including 2MP iPhone 3G.

Anything > 3MP is more then enough for 4R. But, in case you may do a bit of cropping, 5MP and above should be quite ok.

In the market now, it would be difficult to find a camera that can't do that..

So.. pixels is not a major concern for users like you who print 4R.

SAHM_TAN wrote:For printing of photo, does the camera affect the colours, if so which brand and model is better?

That is very subjective. And is mostly personal preference.. so, just pick up a camera and see if it feels good in your hand.

Printing is dependent greatly on the printer too.. what is printed can be very different from what is on the computer screen and on the camera's LCD display.

for novice, or general users.. just ignore this.

SAHM_TAN wrote:For idiot proof cameras, are all created the same or is some better than others? If yes, which brand or model is better?

That's all the technical questions I know how to ask.

refer to earlier post..

TS mentioned that her old camera tends to spoil very fast.. you decide lor..

Guess, for electronics.. a lot depends on user also..

If you respect your equipment.. your equipment would usually reciprocate ....

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time