Do you compare price?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Do you compare price?

Postby JHJC » Fri May 01, 2009 4:40 pm

I was at Toys r US Vivo city last week and decided to just get 3 water bottles for my children. So i picked up a Barbie and 2 super Hero. @7.90 each. Next day i was Popular and BHG, i saw the exact bottle and just decide to see what could be the price difference. To my surprise... they are all charging its $5.90 each. $2 cheaper for each bottle. Din know TRUs could be so much more expensive.

JHJC
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

YES!

Postby buds » Fri May 01, 2009 5:06 pm

Ooh yesss!
I ALWAYS COMPARE!
Being SAHM, every penny counts.
Every penny compared can be every penny saved.

Unless for extremely-not-to-be-missed-must-grab
learning resources. Even if expensive also can
sometimes accidentally buy. :|

I didn't see you at Vivo leh! Hahaha!
Niwae, been there just a couple of days ago too.
And saw the colourful waterbottles but decided
against it after i saw the tag. I bought a $2.95
waterbottle at Mini Toons. Not cheapskate just
thrifty. As long can drink from it ok oredi.. 8)

Can save the $$$ on better things in future.
Want to teach children how to save, we oso
must save. :wink:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mintcc » Fri May 01, 2009 5:35 pm

me too...always try to compare when possible.

$2 diff for a $5.90 item is about30% price diff.. wah, bank only give 0.xx% (so lil can't bother to keep track) now days.

But if accidentally buy more ex stuff then bo bian and sometimes must think about convienience too . No point spending a few hours to go to another location specially to compare or buy something a few dollar cheaper. osme more transport cost alone also not cheap.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Do you compare price?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri May 01, 2009 6:46 pm

I think it is moot that most people compare prices. What I would like to know is how much time people spend pondering over the receipt at the check-out counter.

My wife will go through every single item before she is satisfied. :D

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby JHJC » Fri May 01, 2009 9:56 pm

buds... you will not miss us ...most of the time when people see us our double stroller and the boys,.. they will point at my twins and SHOUT TWINS AH>>! sometimes i get shocked too... that is another story :)

anyway.. i am not very happy with my purchased... cos.. its really not those fancy water bottle, and i was telling my hubby maybe at most 20cents diff from other place.. save me the trouble....

Yes, its abt 30% diff... kind of ripped off right, i can actually get a 4th water bottles!

JHJC
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Do you compare price?

Postby MLR » Tue May 05, 2009 1:36 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:I think it is moot that most people compare prices. What I would like to know is how much time people spend pondering over the receipt at the check-out counter.

My wife will go through every single item before she is satisfied. :D

Me guilty too. Happened before a few times, some items scanned twice, discount items not discounted, etc. Cold storage will give you FOC the item that they charged wrongly. Giant @IMM is one place where i encountered numerous times wrong charges/double charged, strange enough never miss charge. What i do is that i would count the no of items while waiting in queue to reduce time spent checking after payment.

Whenever theres promo or warehouse sales, we purchase in bulk. For electronics/electrical items, DH always compare prices almost to death before deciding to purchase. So ...........we are kiasu shoppers!! :celebrate:

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MMM » Tue May 05, 2009 2:37 pm

We usually compare prices too. Shop around (at least 3 vendors) to get a feel of the price before deciding to buy something new.

I find Spore stuff really expensive. Nowadays, I shop when I travel for work. I get to go to US once or twice a year. So I would stock up on the clothings, shoes,etc... that would sometimes be 1-2 yrs ahead for the kids. It's value for $ becoz I am paying market price but for branded stuff. Eg. I paid S$20+ for ecco shoes, disney store is also cheap in the US eg pyjamas gg at less than S$10, etc... so I came back with many pairs of shoes. clothes of different sizes ahead for the kids. Philippines is also great for kids stuff eg. fisher price, chicco stuff.

I usually carry extra bags and never fail to utilise it. Fortunately now I get extra baggage allowance. My pils and hubby think I am a shopping fanatic. My pils probably dun understand and think I am wasting $ but my hubby knows that I usually buy ahead and we rarely need to shop in Spore for the kids' clothings,etc... Also, he is not paying so he doesn't complain as much.

I used to enjoy taking stock of what we've as i buy yrs ahead. From time to time, I would take out the new stuff and evaluate what can be worn now... It's like a hobby.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MLR » Tue May 05, 2009 3:22 pm

MMM wrote:I find Spore stuff really expensive. Nowadays, I shop when I travel for work. I get to go to US once or twice a year. So I would stock up on the clothings, shoes,etc... that would sometimes be 1-2 yrs ahead for the kids. It's value for $ becoz I am paying market price but for branded stuff. Eg. I paid S$20+ for ecco shoes, disney store is also cheap in the US eg pyjamas gg at less than S$10, etc... so I came back with many pairs of shoes. clothes of different sizes ahead for the kids. Philippines is also great for kids stuff eg. fisher price, chicco stuff.

We do the same. Also, since I m plus size, its almost impossible for me to shop here w/o burning a big hole, i shop online or bulk purchase whenever travelling to US/Canada. As for DS, his aunts and uncles will send clothes/shoes/toys/books a few times a year, we only need to buy those cotton singlets/pjs for him here. We got skechers/nike shoes for him at around S$30 a pair as compared to S$50 to S$80 a pair here. We are particular about his shoes cos he is flatfooted and most of the shoes from BATA (more affordable range) doesn't give much support. Clarks is jus too much to pay.

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MMM » Tue May 05, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi MLR,

I enjoy shopping for clothes in US too. I am a large in Spore but a Small- Medium in the US :D

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MLR » Tue May 05, 2009 4:14 pm

Hiya MMM

Me is triple or 4XL here, US size XL (size 12/14). If you are L here, most probably fit US size 4? My sis is size 0 (US XS) :P . When preggy, cant find anything here at all. Maybe should start a plus size store here for more casual clothings (nice tees, capris, polos) not those tent dress/elastic waist bands/dressy stuffs thats available in plus size stores here. Sometimes I get Gap/Old Navy/Banana Republic/St John's Bay tees from Song & Song stores, but very limited pieces/designs.

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time