Anyone does not have a TV set in the living room?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Anyone does not have a TV set in the living room?

Postby clioclio » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:41 pm

Just wanna ask if anyone does not have a TV set in the living room?---hubby n i are thinking of NOT having a TV set in the living room when we move into our new house next yr---coz we felt tt our 2 kids (5 & 3) are watching too much TV.

One pet peeve (picked up from being baby sat by Grandma when i was still working full time) was that they insist on having the tV on (Disney Junior or DVDs) when its meal time. They will eat and watch TV and its very frustrating to keep prodding them to eat.

Do you think it is too drastic. Hubby was thinking of having the TV set in the master bed room and let the kids use DVD player --controlled timing/frequency.

Do u think this is a workable idea... :shrug:

If you r currently with this NO TV IN LIVING RM arrangement, do u have anything in plce of the 'TV console' or feature wall ?

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Anyone does not have a TV set in the living room?

Postby Joule » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:59 pm

I am a parent-to-be.

But....

I moved the TV out of the house already. I have no TV at home! Don't intend to buy TV either.

Hopefully my kids get to grow up without TV. If they don't watch TV, they won't miss it.

Well, maybe they will be social misfits in school but oh well you win some you lose some...

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:50 am

some well known people also has no TV for the kids
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mvm » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:25 am

We have a tv in living room, and dining room BUT we do not turn it on.

You may want to tell your kids that they can watch for x minutes after they finish their dinner, only if they finish their dinner by a certain time. Eg dinner time is 6.15pm. If they finish by 7 pm, they get to watch until 7.30.

Most impt is to enforce and not bend the rules so hey low you mean business and will tow the line.

Your idea of having it in the bedroom is a good idea.

Mvm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Belle2011 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:31 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:some well known people also has no TV for the kids

a laptop can be a tv :dancing:

Belle2011
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Zermatt » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:24 am

We do have a tv at the living rm, but only the dad watches it. The rest watch movies etc from pc.

Zermatt
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby tankee » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:27 am

Mvm wrote:.....Most impt is to enforce and not bend the rules so hey low you mean business and will tow the line....

:goodpost:

tankee
Site Admin

Postby raysusan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:28 am

Mvm wrote:We have a tv in living room, and dining room BUT we do not turn it on.

You may want to tell your kids that they can watch for x minutes after they finish their dinner, only if they finish their dinner by a certain time. Eg dinner time is 6.15pm. If they finish by 7 pm, they get to watch until 7.30.

Most impt is to enforce and not bend the rules so hey low you mean business and will tow the line.

Your idea of having it in the bedroom is a good idea.

i am doing that too

they know that watching tv is not a entitlement

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sean wife » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:45 am

I have the same thoughts when we move to new place but that will be 2 years later.

Currently we do have TV set in the living room, but kids hardly watch it. We also cut down on a lot of TV time ourselves after having kids (mainly after they sleep...)

They are still young now, and still taking afternoon naps...so easier to fill up their waking hours with activities...but when they get older and time to drop their naps, maybe not so possible to keep the TV controller out of their reach by then...

Parents whose kids are not much exposed to TV since young, at what age will they start to compare with their friends in school who is watching what and they will also request to watch the same? How do you handle the issue?

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Mdm Koh » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:55 pm

Yes, I know a mummy who doesn't have a TV. :smile:

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time