Straight to jail with a bullet - Jessica Powter's Story

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Straight to jail with a bullet - Jessica Powter's Story

Postby tankee » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:52 am

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2012/0 ... tnews.html

A TERRITORY woman spent 23 hours locked up in Singapore after two rounds of live ammunition were found in her camera bag.

Jessica Powter, 34, of Katherine, was facing a mandatory five-year jail term after unwittingly bringing the two 8cm-long bullets used to shoot buffalo into Singapore - but she was let off with a warning.

The public servant cautioned other Territorians to check their luggage before travelling overseas.

"In Singapore passengers get caught (with bullets) on a daily basis," Ms Powter said.

"In the Territory there are so many people that go pig hunting and buffalo shooting as a sport and these people are travelling in and out of Asia all the time." Ms Powter had been carrying the bullets in her camera bag for three years after a one-off hunting trip.

"The bullets were rolling about in the car so I put them in my backpack and forgot about them," she said

In that time the camera bag went through airports several times when Ms Powter took two flights to Brisbane and a trip to Cairns.

Ms Powter was once picked for a random explosives test at airport security.

It took a zealous security guard at Changi Airport Singapore to find the two 8cm-long bullets tucked away in a forgotten pouch.

Ms Powter was returning to Darwin via Singapore from a holiday in Thailand on October 13.

"The security guard had to put the bag through about three or four times before he found them." ....................

tankee
Site Admin

Re: Straight to jail with a bullet - Jessica Powter's Story

Postby tankee » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:59 am

:udaman: :udawoman: to the security team at Changi Airport, and to the police officer and magistrate handling this case. :salute:

And all the while I had the impression that the Australian Customs are very tight. Guess I am only partial right. :roll:

And what a :faint: woman, it seems that she still think it is nothing wrong to have bullets with her while travelling on aeroplane. :siao: :spank:

tankee
Site Admin

Postby concern2 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:15 am

tankee wrote::udaman: :udawoman: to the security team at Changi Airport, and to the police officer and magistrate handling this case. :salute:

And all the while I had the impression that the Australian Customs are very tight. Guess I am only partial right. :roll:

And what a :faint: woman, it seems that she still think it is nothing wrong to have bullets with her while travelling on aeroplane. :siao: :spank:

We need more meticulous people like these men.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Joule » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:55 am

I think they must all stand and declare that they do not have any ammunition or pyrotechnics in their possession before checking in, then

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Recess Time