Dirty school toilets - how to get the government to act?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Dirty school toilets - how to get the government to act?

Postby georgewong22 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:41 am

I read an article over at www.asiaone.com re dirty school toilets. A parent who has been to many primary and secondary schools, discovered ALL schools' toilets to be dirty. Special private toilets for teachers are however sparkling clean and some even with deodorisers. I noticed the same in the neighborhood school my child goes to here in Bishan.

Have you noticed the same at your child's school?

My question is, how can we get the government to act? Many times, we subscribe to forums, email the media but nothing seems to happen.

This is a genuine concern. The school's tradition of blaming the students personal hygiene should not be accepted. Pupils do appreciate cleanliness but may need to be educated how to maintain it but that's another reason why we send our children to school - to be educated.

We have MOE, MOH and NEA under MEWR, all encouraging, especially now with H1N1, hygiene and cleanliness. But what is REALLY being done?

Many times, we notice something genuinely wrong BUT what can we do about it? How?

georgewong22
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jesschan » Wed May 06, 2009 9:17 am

Yes, yes, my son said his school toilet is very dirty and he doesn't like to use it. I intend to write in to MOH and MOE about it. If they can get public toilets to clean up, I am sure they can get the schools to do something.

jesschan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby georgewong22 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:22 am

That's great. If you do, would you mind sending me a copy of the letter? I wish to send them an email too. Let me know, if there's anything I can do.

georgewong22
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jesschan » Wed May 06, 2009 10:10 am

georgewong22 wrote:That's great. If you do, would you mind sending me a copy of the letter? I wish to send them an email too. Let me know, if there's anything I can do.

I just sent a feedback through Reach Singapore and also posted an enquiry to find out whether school toilets are considered "public toilets" under the “Singapore's OK” campaign. Maybe you can also join in the discussion at http://tinyurl.com/dyh763

jesschan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MMM » Wed May 06, 2009 11:16 am

We've this problem as my kids' school is currently using a holding school which is old....

It's a old school and 95%? of the toilets are those squatting type. Kids nowadays don't use those at home and cannot aim properly so there's urine and stool on the floor.

The principal was relating to us that some kids don't use the toilet until they reach home. My kids use those but always complain about it.

Fortunately, they are moving out to new site by term 3.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sashimi » Wed May 06, 2009 12:13 pm

I propose that school students be rostered to clean the toilets themselves. That will literally teach them. Serious.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby joconde » Wed May 06, 2009 12:58 pm

Yesterday after reading the parent's letter to newspaper, I asked my son if his sch toilet is indeed dirty and smelly, and he said yes. He told me after they have PE lesson in the field, they will need to change in the toilets. When the dirty and soiled shoes step onto the wet floor, the floor becomes very dirty. He also say toilet washing also no use cos the floor is wet and kids step inside and the floow becomes dirty again.

He also says the flush doesn't always work, so sometimes there are unflushed urine or poo in the toilet bowls. :(

Only now then i understand why he sometimes "control" all the way until reach home.

Not sure if girls toilet will be better ? I'm now so worried for my girl who will be going to P1 next yr. She very 'yim cheam', and won't use toilet that is wet or smelly. Anyone who knows of a sch with clean toilets pls recommend !! ha ha !

joconde
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MMM » Wed May 06, 2009 1:24 pm

Actually girls toilet are just as bad. My P2 girl insist on wearing her swimsuit to school on days when she has swimming lessons. Unfortunately for her, she has concert band on that day and usually goes to school in the morning. We told her it's gg to be very inconvenient should she needs to go to the toilet. She insisted that she can mge and it's a better choice than changing to swimsuit in school due to wet floor and smelly toilet :roll:

Personally, I think if nature calls and really cannot tahan, your girl has no choice but to go. I don't think she will be happy to pass motion/ urine in class as her friends will make fun of her. I am not joking as my kids related to me of incidents of classmates passing motion or urine in class.... On the bright side, it teaches her to deal dirty toilet if she goes to certain country in the future.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby georgewong22 » Wed May 06, 2009 2:55 pm

Personally whether getting the children rostered or not, it should first and foremost be the school's responsibility to maintain clean toilets in their respective schools.

How to go about achieving it can be collectively worked on. Educating the children to practise good personal hygiene and being responsible is one.

How do we get the schools to do it??

Imagine the stench on a hot humid day ... classrooms near the toilets ... bacteria and germs ... yucks.

The article goes on to say that the parent noticed sparkling clean private toilets for teachers, some even with deodorisers. Who upkeeps these toilets? Do the teacher roster themselves to do it or is it the cleaning uncle or auntie? What about public toilets? Even some public toilets are cleaner than some of those in certain schools.

I think Jess and me feel the same ... the school should be held responsible and the government has agencies who are suppose to monitor and enforce this. Why isn't it done? Singapore is best country to live in Asia but why are toilets in schools not maintained? And our children subjected to this humiliation. Help, let's do something now!

georgewong22
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Guest » Wed May 06, 2009 3:13 pm

We have similar issues observed in school too and I also wonder why the kids' toilets are so hard to maintain. What is the real issue??

As it is, the lower primary kids, some could not even wash themselves properly given the water-saving taps, if they are subjected to filthy toilets, it would only compound the hygiene problem. Also, for those afraid of the stench and all, in the long run, they will have problems for holding their bladder till they get home.

I support your motion but what do you plan to do?..... Write to ST Forum or take some representative pictures to send to STOMP? :tongue:

Next

Return to Recess Time