Mom call police and MOE : Teacher force son for a haircut

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:2

Re: Mom call police and MOE : Teacher force son for a haircu

Post by Mdm Koh » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:30 am

From what I understand, it's not unheard of for school teachers to send students for haircuts in school. It has been done before in other schools.

I guess the issue here is not with the hair-cutting but with the way the case was handled. The staff of the school didn't explain the reason for the haircut adequately to the parent. It was the boy who messaged his mum to tell her about the haircut. And to make things worse, the haircut didn't look presentable.

Had the school communicated more effectively with the parent that haircuts are mandatory for students who do not comply with the school rules, and had they gotten a better hairdresser, the parent might've been more understanding.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:8

Post by 2ppaamm » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:57 am

Buds, I think the way your brother's punishment cut was executed well and in accordance to a protocol that is acceptable. If I were to be your parents, I would probably do exactly the same as well. He needed a lesson and it was well taught. The purpose of the cut was to teach your brother a lesson, about obeying rules and about grooming.

In the other case, I don't think any of these were even considered. Again, showing how the standard of educators have deteriorated. In today's terms, it would have been too much trouble to go through the length of giving so many warnings and executing it with so much caution. I have seen too many educators behaving like kings and queens. Of course there are a handful of good ones, but too few to buy back my belief in the system. One bad teacher can scar a kid for life. I have real experiences to back that claim. Just like one good teacher can change a kid's life forever. Just if teachers know how much influence they can have on a small kid's life, and handle that will care and pride.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by EN » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:35 am

Instead of being teased by his peers and being the joke of the year... he apparently was lauded for being bold. Teacher was investigated & called upon for closed door mediation with him. Words were exchanged and things did improve. Guess different schools will do things differently and yes of course, different schools would give different style haircut.
I can just imagine, your bro at that time must be the hero of his gang for being brave enough to be stubborn. Salute him man! :rotflmao:

Yeap, different schools have different level of tolerance. DS is much happier now than before. Different school, different rules, different expectation, different allowance.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:21

Post by Chenonceau » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:42 am

buds wrote:
Chenonceau wrote:Too thick is not against the school rules leh.... Maybe Teacher has hairstylist fantasies like Zohan in "You Don't Mess With the Zohan".
:lol:

You oso know how to do the sticky uh, Chenonceau.. :evil:

:rotflmao:

No baby... I can do the silky smooth. :rotflmao:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... S3q1wSCPjY

Zermatt
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Zermatt » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:28 am

Both my boys in the same school had their hair cut out a patch on stage. The reason being, the hair touched the collar. However, they were already having hair cut every 1 month + 1 week. It is because their hair lines are very low and even after a hair cut, it is around the collar.
I believe some teachers only follow the book. They should see if the boys are defiant to rules or other reasons. The incident left my elder boy a bad impression of the otherwise popular school such that he pledged not to send his future children there. The younger boy who is a diligent student was always uncomfortable with his hair that he always secretly cut his fringe. Such harm done to young souls.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by 2ppaamm » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:46 am

EN wrote:
Instead of being teased by his peers and being the joke of the year... he apparently was lauded for being bold. Teacher was investigated & called upon for closed door mediation with him. Words were exchanged and things did improve. Guess different schools will do things differently and yes of course, different schools would give different style haircut.
I can just imagine, your bro at that time must be the hero of his gang for being brave enough to be stubborn. Salute him man! :rotflmao:

Yeap, different schools have different level of tolerance. DS is much happier now than before. Different school, different rules, different expectation, different allowance.
EN, your boy changed school? Why? I thought all schools are about the same, I have given up on schools.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by 2ppaamm » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:50 am

Zermatt wrote:Both my boys in the same school had their hair cut out a patch on stage. The reason being, the hair touched the collar. However, they were already having hair cut every 1 month + 1 week. It is because their hair lines are very low and even after a hair cut, it is around the collar.
I believe some teachers only follow the book. They should see if the boys are defiant to rules or other reasons. The incident left my elder boy a bad impression of the otherwise popular school such that he pledged not to send his future children there. The younger boy who is a diligent student was always uncomfortable with his hair that he always secretly cut his fringe. Such harm done to young souls.
Did the school cut your boys' hair?

verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

Post by verykiasu2010 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:10 am

wah, so much hairy experiences and hairy talk in this thread

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by EN » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:18 pm

I second that thought! My boy mind was disturbed by the teacher shouting at him while he walking back to his class after assembly due to his hair length. He was embarrassed by the indicident. He believes that there should be a better way to approach a child. Mutual respect. Anyway, he was in primary two back then. If his hair is long, the one to be blamed will be me or his dad. Why must it be him that has gotten to be screamed at in public.
EN, your boy changed school? Why? I thought all schools are about the same, I have given up on schools.
Some pros and some cons in whichever school the child moves to. But DS really like his second school. He loves to be in an environment where he can mixed with the non-Singaporean as well.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by 2ppaamm » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:38 pm

When I was a little girl, the place I lived in was a third world country. My mother had no education, like 90% of my classmates. We were so happy for an opportunity to go to school. We had teachers who had 40+ per class, we were nobodies and had no souls, after all, we were children of poor folks in a third world country, no expectation. My mother told me that if I wanted to be successful, I had to study hard, and I did. I did well and ended up with very good credentials. My country succeeded in educating my friends and me. It was ok to lose some of the souls along the way for the greater good.

Now, I am the parent. I am not like my mother, I'm educated. I understand what is good English and good Math. I find that sometimes the teachers teach my children broken English, cliche writing, bad Maths methods. The class size is still 40+, and my children are still expected to behave and question nothing even though they sometimes know more. I am asked to shut up like my mother, even though I do a lot more research than many of them, I am told my knowledge about my kids do not matter, even though I brought them up. I am told that my kids cannot have this hairstyle, because the same was expected of me. I don't understand why when they have educated me and given me knowledge, they refuse to tap on what I know to improve on what is already there. I am still expected to have no soul.

The country has moved on. Infrastructure changed, people smarter, machines faster. But nobody is kinder, more reasonable or more civil. The system is the same, because we are still in the third world mentality - for survival. There is still only one way of doing things, so that things get moved faster. There's still no soul. :roll:

First world country on steroids.