Care to gossip about your child primary school ?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Primary school textbook

Time to upgrade school textbooks?
40%
Yes
40%
No
20%

Total votes : 5

Care to gossip about your child primary school ?

Postby Kodomosuki » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:14 am

Dear kiasu parents,

Let us gossip about our kid primary school ?

How good are they?

How lousy are they?

How nasty are they?

Anyone care to start ?

Reasons are, why are we going to so many tuition centers and the schools just sit there shaking their legs ....
Hmmm, we pay tax though .... Don't you think something more solid to be done for our children...

Those textbook use at sch , time to upgrade ...
Agree?

Kodomosuki
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Care to gossip about your child primary school ?

Postby MummySTay » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:30 am

I do not agree that schools are letting tuition centers do all the work.
Sometimes, it's a matter of the luck of the draw...
There are some teachers who fail to deliver, but there are just as many dedicated teachers around.

If a parent wants good results, many factors come into play, not just the school; it's multi-pronged.
Other than the schools, the students themselves play the biggest part. Parents also need to provide the necessary support and monitoring. It's too easy to blame the schools.

I have nothing bad to say about DD's Pri school.
Even DD's sec sch does not encourage tuition.
The parents were told to first approach the teachers when they encounter any difficulties in their school work. Tuition is but a last resort.
MummySTay
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Kodomosuki » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:59 am

Yes, I agreed ..
There is this branded primary school , located at orchard road.
I will share with you what were her remarks about the school teaching materials..
You will freak out and you will understand why parents are rushing to tuition centers.
The school does not teach the kids to do proper compositions ..
They gave 4plain pictures to the boys at p1 /p2, and expect them to write miracles ..when the parents com fronted the principal regarding the teaching materials ...you know what the she replied?
Our kids parents environment here are different from those who stay at HDB environment ..We don't need to teach so much because most of them are attending tuitions ...
Ahhhh. I freak out.. :stupid:
Quickly, I put my son to learning lab ....I cannot sit there and watch my son suffer.
Parents over here are not kiasu , simply we have no choice...
They set high standard and yet cannot deliver...
Lousy :sad:

Kodomosuki
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby coast » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:29 am

MummySTay wrote:I do not agree that schools are letting tuition centers do all the work.
There are some teachers who fail to deliver, but there are just as many dedicated teachers around.

If a parent wants good results, many factors come into play, not just the school; it's multi-pronged.
Other than the schools, the students themselves play the biggest part. Parents also need to provide the necessary support and monitoring. It's too easy to blame the schools.

The parents were told to first approach the teachers when they encounter any difficulties in their school work. Tuition is but a last resort.

I have nothing bad to say about DS's Pri school too (except CCA but that's off topic). I am glad that DS's teachers are great though I am aware that teachers change from some levels to another so hopefully his luck continues :)

MOE wants every school to be a good school. It needs to work on the adequacy of the textbooks and materials and provide them to ALL students. Right now, each school develops its own materials to supplement the inadequacy of textbooks. Even within the same school, it uses different materials for different classes. As a result, many parents sent their kids to enrichment centres for their worksheets and materials.

Teachers can teach better with good materials while at the same time, self-motivated students will not lose out no matter which school they belong to or if they are unlucky to meet one of those few "undedicated" teachers. It is NOT a level playing field when good materials are developed (and not shared) by some schools or whether some parents can afford to teach their own kids or send them for enrichment/ tuition.

coast
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby KSP » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:27 pm

Kodomosuki wrote:Yes, I agreed ..
I will share with you what were her remarks about the school teaching materials..
You will freak out and you will understand why parents are rushing to tuition centers.
They gave 4plain pictures to the boys at p1 /p2, and expect them to write miracles ..when the parents com fronted the principal regarding the teaching materials ...you know what the she replied?
Our kids parents environment here are different from those who stay at HDB environment ..We don't need to teach so much because most of them are attending tuitions ...Ahhhh. I freak out.. :stupid:
Quickly, I put my son to learning lab ....I cannot sit there and watch my son suffer.

if this msg can be verified and get to the right authority it can easily be the headlines of the year......

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:49 pm

orchard rd? still have school? :?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:39 am

MummySTay wrote:I do not agree that schools are letting tuition centers do all the work.

Really? so nice..

My DD's pri school english teacher asked if DD got tuition and suggests that she seek addition help for her english.. haiz......

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:41 am

Our kids parents environment here are different from those who stay at HDB environment ..We don't need to teach so much because most of them are attending tuitions ...

Yeah.. then WHY do we need you? save the tax payers money for another more worthy teacher better..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:07 pm

limlim wrote:

Yeah.. then WHY do we need you? save the tax payers money for another more worthy teacher better..

There is a common practice in schools these days to ask children to fill up forms after forms of tuitions and enrichments they do after school. Every teacher is creating their own forms to collect such info and some are verbatim in class with hand-raising. I wonder what is the objective....for the P to make that kind of comment? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Postby Busymom » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:20 pm

Nebbermind wrote:orchard rd? still have school? :?

Probably off Orchard Road. My guess, it's a boys school. :wink:

Busymom
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time