Parents, not enrichment centres, are key to result

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Parents, not enrichment centres, are key to result

Postby coast » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:38 am

TODAY Voices: Parents, not enrichment centres, are key to results

http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC12 ... to-results

THE report "Sorry, your child is not bright enough" (Jan 3) highlights a point I have long suspected: That some enrichment centres admit only pupils who are doing well but who are still sent to the centres.

I do not fault the centres for ensuring their survival by conducting screening tests and accepting only pupils who pass - the quickest, easiest way to produce a good track record. Parents are the cause of this situation.

They send their children to only centres with good track records, never mind the costly fees. These pupils, many of whom are already motivated to excel, need just a push from the centres to achieve better results.

Even without much improvement after joining these centres, these pupils would still perform well in examinations.

Parents on the side would think highly of such centres and rush to get their children admitted. Other centres that do not produce such track records would be unable to get enough pupils to keep going.

I do not think these famous enrichment centres are the solution to helping children cope with the rigour of our education system. Parents should supervise their children more.

We have read many write-ups on the top pupils in our national exams, and the key determinant of their performance is parental interest in their studies.

Thus, parents should not be upset if their children are not in branded enrichment centres.

Instead, this should indicate that we have not spent enough time coaching and helping our children with their school work as well as preparing them to face the challenges of the world.

coast
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Parents, not enrichment centres, are key to result

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:44 am

coast wrote:Instead, this should indicate that we have not spent enough time coaching and helping our children with their school work as well as preparing them to face the challenges of the world.

If school is the parents' job, then what are schools for? Parents who both work full time turn to enrichment centres because

(1) they are so busy making a living, they have no time...
(2) schools test far beyond what is taught

It doesn't help that working hours get longer and longer.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby UncleLim » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:03 am

We can debate till the cows come home while the likes of Lxxxning Lxb laughs all the way to the bank... Guess what ? Maybe we will see one of them IPO on the stock exchange soon!

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby coast » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:11 am

Chenonceau wrote:
coast wrote:Instead, this should indicate that we have not spent enough time coaching and helping our children with their school work as well as preparing them to face the challenges of the world.

If school is the parents' job, then what are schools for? Parents who both work full time turn to enrichment centres because

Hi Chenonceau, I knew you would say that :)

The article is not written by me ... it's from newspaper TODAY's voices (forum). I am re-posting it here to see what comments our KSP parents have regarding the thoughts of the writer.

My own 2-cents view? I do not think it's good for our children to over-rely on any external help ... be it parent coaching, tuition or enrichment.

coast
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:13 am

coast wrote:
Chenonceau wrote:

The article is not written by me ... it's from newspaper TODAY's voices (forum). I am re-posting it here to see what comments our KSP parents have regarding the thoughts of the writer.

My own 2-cents view? I do not think it's good for our children to over-rely on any external help ... be it parent coaching, tuition or enrichment.

Yeah.... I am so predictable. I did know they weren't your views. Kekekekeke! You're predictable too!! :laugh: I was just taking the opportunity to reiterate a view so that more people will know.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby coast » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:25 am

Chenonceau wrote:
coast wrote:
Chenonceau wrote:

Yeah.... I am so predictable. I did know they weren't your views. Kekekekeke! You're predictable too!! :laugh: I was just taking the opportunity to reiterate a view so that more people will know.

:rotflmao:

I have lots to learn from KSP parents like yourself though (my DS is only P2) and I am open to any train of thoughts as long as I think it makes sense and might work on my DS. I have nothing against enrichment or tuition actually ... but cannot help but worried when many parents or even students themselves give SO MUCH credit to these centres. Have they given a chance to themselves and see what they could achieve without over-relying on external help? If primary school is not the time, then when? I was shocked when I read IP students, JC students need tuition! Hmm ... haven't read about undergrads taking tuition though ... I hope not :)

coast
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby KSP » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:32 am

UncleLim wrote:We can debate till the cows come home while the likes of Lxxxning Lxb laughs all the way to the bank... Guess what ? Maybe we will see one of them IPO on the stock exchange soon!

:hi5: I'm really not surprise this will happen and more businessman will follow this model - targetting only the high-end (ie. parents who can affort and to take in only the best students). The demand is driven by market force. As long as there is demand there will be supply.

If anyone had read last Sunday Times would have seen their 1/2 page (on 2nd page) ads. Their School Mission is something like : Nurturing future leaders. Very similar to top Sec Sch.
Last edited by KSP on Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby looking4Tutor » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:39 am

KSP wrote:
:hi5: I'm really not surprise this will happen and more businessman will follow this model - targetting only the high-end (ie. parents who can affort and to take in only the best students). The demand is driven by market force. As long as there is demand there will be supply.

It should be - more former HODs and NIE trained teachers turned businessman will follow this model.

looking4Tutor
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby coast » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:43 am

Teachers do make a difference. I am sure there are many students who benefit from teachers whether they are from school, enrichment or tuition. I sincerely salute all those teachers who have made a difference to their students! By all means give credit to the individual teacher. But if it is the "fantastic" worksheets from the centres, then we need to ask ... why can't MOE provide adequate materials to ALL students? Why parents need to visit Popular, KSP and other places to source for external assessment, resources, ... etc? Why some schools give different materials to different classes? The key reason I am writing this ... we need to make it as much a level playing field for every student as possible .. not dependent on extensive parent coaching, enrichment materials, ...

coast
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby looking4Tutor » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:24 am

coast wrote: why can't MOE provide adequate materials to ALL students? Why parents need to visit Popular, KSP and other places to source for external assessment, resources, ... etc? Why some schools give different materials to different classes? The key reason I am writing this ... we need to make it as much a level playing field for every student as possible .. not dependent on extensive parent coaching, enrichment materials, ...

All school children are equal, but some school children are more equal than others. If all primary schools become top primary schools then somehow, somewhere there will be the true true top primary school.

Some schools, seem to me, are destines to be less equal and play the role of feeder-schools to Normal / Normal Tech Secondary schools. Those from these schools that manage to escape out of it are those who bought their equal rights from tuition/enrichment centres.

looking4Tutor
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time