Singapore Tourist Promotion Board - 丢脸

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Re: Singapore Tourist Promotion Board - 丢脸

Postby hquek » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:49 am

Thanks insider for these news. My Chinese only enough to read tabloids. :oops: at least I know what to expect if pp from other countries make comments.

But seriously, the booboos made by stb. :shock: I thought they should have learnt. :shrug:

On the interview with top kids, one thing is that the kid may just be that he/she was unnerved by the studio set and interview? A bit stone maybe got reason? But yes, I feel my inadequacy when I talk to my colleagues in Taiwan - many times I end up getting history lessons from her....which is a good thing that we both enjoy. :smile:

hquek
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 6535
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:07 am
Total Likes: 70


Re: Singapore Tourist Promotion Board - 丢脸

Postby caroline3sg » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:54 am

Thank you insider for the news articles, especially the one by 叶德民.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 5:33 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Singapore Tourist Promotion Board - 丢脸

Postby tankee » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:56 am

Probably translated using some tools and no one vet the output

tankee
Site Admin
 
Posts: 17790
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 18


Re: Singapore Tourist Promotion Board - 丢脸

Postby hquek » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:33 am

Never learn from what the mindef in Malaysia went through....poke eye dressing for eg. Haizzzzz. Insider was spot on. This really throw face.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 6535
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:07 am
Total Likes: 70


Re: Singapore Tourist Promotion Board - 丢脸

Postby sleepy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:05 am

tankee wrote:Probably translated using some tools and no one vet the output


Yes, I think so too. A direct translation from chinese e-dictionary?

Recently my dd wrote '在蓝色之外' in her compo. I was puzzled when I read it & asked her whether it's a new phrase that teacher taught? Never seen it before le. She told me with a straight face that she used her classmate's few hundred dollars e-dictionary to translate. Can't you tell mummy, it means 'out of the blue'!

Gosh, really 喷饭....I laughed so hard and my dd was embarrassed after realising she blindly trusted that e-dictionary. When I got over my laughing fit, I told her it is totally unacceptable to be writing that sort of phrases. Despites the e-dictionary translation, she has been taking higher chinese for so many years, she should know right away this is obviously a nonsense translation.

By the way, I think she's going to kill me if she knew I 'published' this. She insisted I should wipe this phrase off my memory. Can't, way too funny :rotflmao:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9064
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 34



Re: Singapore Tourist Promotion Board - 丢脸

Postby Brenda10 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:51 am

sleepy wrote:
tankee wrote:Probably translated using some tools and no one vet the output


Yes, I think so too. A direct translation from chinese e-dictionary?

Recently my dd wrote '在蓝色之外' in her compo. I was puzzled when I read it & asked her whether it's a new phrase that teacher taught? Never seen it before le. She told me with a straight face that she used her classmate's few hundred dollars e-dictionary to translate. Can't you tell mummy, it means 'out of the blue'!

Gosh, really 喷饭....I laughed so hard and my dd was embarrassed after realising she blindly trusted that e-dictionary. When I got over my laughing fit, I told her it is totally unacceptable to be writing that sort of phrases. Despites the e-dictionary translation, she has been taking higher chinese for so many years, she should know right away this is obviously a nonsense translation.

By the way, I think she's going to kill me if she knew I 'published' this. She insisted I should wipe this phrase off my memory. Can't, way too funny :rotflmao:


Talking about 蓝色, this make me recall 蓝色多瑙河!

Nevertheless, is still a good sign that your DD is willing to learn the new phrases but unfortunately the e-dictionary is given the inappropriate translation!

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5027
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:43 pm
Total Likes: 3


Re: Singapore Tourist Promotion Board - 丢脸

Postby hquek » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:18 pm

Yes, my ex roommate told me her potato friend ever wrote 今天下猫和狗. English would have been lovely, but don't think the marker was quite amused.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 6535
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:07 am
Total Likes: 70


Re: Singapore Tourist Promotion Board - 丢脸

Postby jtoh » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:53 pm

hquek wrote:Yes, my ex roommate told me her potato friend ever wrote 今天下猫和狗. English would have been lovely, but don't think the marker was quite amused.


:rotflmao:

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 10921
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 91


Re: Singapore Tourist Promotion Board - 丢脸

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:46 pm

is time to make french fries from the potatoes ..... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:siam: :siam: :siam: throw face !
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: Singapore Tourist Promotion Board - 丢脸

Postby Joule » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:26 pm

long long time ago

I was acting in a play

someone ask me

what is my 角色

I pull my pants up and show her my leg

哪!自己看!

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:45 pm
Total Likes: 2


Next

Return to Recess Time