Dharma Classes For Children

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Dharma Classes For Children

Postby winth » Tue May 12, 2009 3:04 pm

Hi,

Having a problem to post this thread as I dunno where this belongs to.

Anyone whose child is attending Dharma Classes that you can recommend? Our preference goes to Thai/Tibetan-dharma classes.

I have seen 2 temples offering Myanmese Dharma Classes but no thai/tibetan ones so far.

Many thanks.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Bowie » Tue May 12, 2009 4:14 pm

Hi Winth,

Just curious what is Dharma Classes?

:?

Bowie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby winth » Tue May 12, 2009 4:14 pm

Buddhism Chanting/Meditation Classes.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby winth » Tue May 19, 2009 10:57 pm

insider wrote:My brother goes to

阿南達.彌提雅拉瑪.泰佛寺

at 50B Jalan Bukit Merah (Tel 62755893)

Thanks! They really have!
They even have Sunday Morning Service for the parents while children attend the sunday classes.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby znzyzyzx » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi,

does your son like the Dharma class ? My kids had been going for the class at the Myammar temple at Ah Hood rood for the last one year.

Previously we also went to the one at Singapore Buddhist Federation at Geylang, but stopped as it was a bit far for us.

znzyzyzx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby winth » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi znzyzyzx,

We went to try at the one near Jalan Bukit Merah. Quite a wrong timing for us cos the guy who attended to us told us that there is NO such children dharma class and invited us to sit through their adult's dharma class, cos there is no age limit for the class. So we did. It was one of the worst talks that I've been to and the speaker... it sounded more like an auntie complaining and sharing her negative life experiences. We left there with loads of negative energy and I was yawning away with those 'so-called' knowledge she had tried to share. Cos we had acquired those 'knowledge' through our readings and from other meditation talks we had attended, so it's like a first grader presentation to us. Her sharing wasn't appropriate for her topic too. We looked at her audience who were laughing away with her 'jokes' and I think maybe we didn't really belong to that talk. We had expected buddhism stories or general buddhism beliefs, so the talk was way below our expectations.

On another occasion, we went to that temple to pray. We saw children leaving a room (which was located just below the room we had attended our first dharma lesson) and asked about the Children's Dharma Class. The lady told us that it's held in this room and we are welcome to go there the following Sunday.

Two different messages by the organizers from the same temple. :|
It didn't really create a very good first impression and DS1 told us, very specifically, that he doesn't want to go back there again. We didn't want to as well, so we left the Dharma Class hanging mid-air.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby znzyzyzx » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:31 pm

Oh, I see. In that case, you might want to try the one at the Myammar temple at Ah Hood rood. So far, my two younger kids enjoy the sessions there. (One 9 and one 5 year old). They group the children into different class by age, from K1 to about Sec 1/2).

No fee needed, just that you need to sign up for a one year membership , which is about $25.

There will be a group chanting sessions out at the temple hall (about 20 mins) , then the kids will go to their respective class, where they will be told Buddhist stores, play games.

znzyzyzx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby znzyzyzx » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:32 pm

It is closed for holidays now. The session will start again next year. It is on every Sunday morning 11 to about 1pm.

znzyzyzx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Tara » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:53 pm

Orh ....There is a Tibetan Buddhism Temple Near Lavender MRT. You might want to check this out. They have Dharma Class for Children. Here is the web for you to find out the class. http://www.thekchencholing.org/

Tara
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby dragonty » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:20 pm

u can check this link...
http://www.4ui.com/activity/activity.htm#top
my kid is attending dharma in Metta.

dragonty
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Recess Time