U may want yr kid to improve but what if they can't cope?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

U may want yr kid to improve but what if they can't cope?

Postby Nowaygirl » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:57 pm

This is what I did. I told my kid to study malay special programme and take higher chinese in secondary as she's eligible for them and I think it brings no harm and still can minus 2 points each from the L1R5 at the O'Levels. :roll:

But recently, I oftenly find her studying in the middle of the night and sleep at around 12 a.m or so. Once, she complained to me that she's afraid she can't cope with all these stuffs and will wish to quit Malay. I told her previously to not give up halfway through but now thinking back, I think that I should let her quit Malay, or shouldn't I? :stupid:

Nowaygirl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: U may want yr kid to improve but what if they can't cope

Postby Pen88n » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:16 pm

I think you should talk to your kid and get her opinion on this. Is she finding herself overload with school work due to these 2 additional / higher level subjects? Analyse with her, how much is the workload from Malay and quitting Malay means "saving of xxx hrs" a week for her?

The minus 2 points will only work if your kid is able to manage all well, else it does not make sense. In addition, minus 2 points can also be from CCA.

More importantly for sec sch kids now, they must have a more manageable load that they themselves are comfortable with, and enjoy their sec sch life. Afterall, they are only young once and you would not want them to spend and remember their teenage years as mugging books and studying only, right?

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Cathy Wu » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:08 pm

There are different kinds of teaching method you can use for your children. The best way to teach them is through play. Learning through play has been known to enhance the skills of kids while enjoying and having fun.

If you think they cannot cope, might as well change your teaching style or simply think of a game that can be used to teach a concept in a more enjoyable way.

An example could be teaching math. if your kid cannot cope with counting 1-10. Use a relay race and incorporate the numbers in your game. Use your creativity and always remember that children are open to learning. You just need to guide and facilitate them.

Cathy Wu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby znzyzyzx » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:27 pm

Nowaygirl wrote:This is what I did. I told my kid to study malay special programme and take higher chinese in secondary as she's eligible for them and I think it brings no harm and still can minus 2 points each from the L1R5 at the O'Levels. :roll:

But recently, I oftenly find her studying in the middle of the night and sleep at around 12 a.m or so. Once, she complained to me that she's afraid she can't cope with all these stuffs and will wish to quit Malay. I told her previously to not give up halfway through but now thinking back, I think that I should let her quit Malay, or shouldn't I? :stupid:

i think is okay to quit the third language if she really cannot cope. My personal experience (my dd1) is that first two year is a transistion, adapting time (so different from primary school) , so you may not want to be overloaded.

My dd1 quit her Jap after 1 year. And she started to take studies seriously only in sec 3. She is now sec 4.

znzyzyzx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Gems » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:10 pm

I feel it is alright not to take up Malay Special Programme and HCL even if your child is eligible for them. If she has already voiced out to you that she cannot cope, you may consider for her to drop MSP. My kid qualifies for both but did not take up right from the start of Sec 1.

Gems
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Mdm Koh » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:58 pm

Is she good at the subjects? I think if she's good at them, she shouldn't quit. The issue may be one of time management. We often assume that skills like time management and organisation come innately, but they don't. Some kids are bright academically, but their performance may be affected by their inability to manage their workload. Giving them guidance on how to manage their time can work wonders.

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Recess Time