Intellect or Age Peer?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

If your child can cope with higher level work enough to skip a grade what would you do?

Accelerate the child, only with MOE's system
19%
Accelerate the child, with or without MOE's help
45%
Place the child with his age peers, pile up enrichment
29%
Do nothing. We have a great education system, anyway.
6%

Total votes : 31

Intellect or Age Peer?

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:25 pm

If your child can cope with higher level work, would you do whatever you know/can to accelerate him, or stick to the current education system and let him learn with his peers?

Curious what our mummies and daddies think. If you would do something different from the school syllabus, what would that be?

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Intellect or Age Peer?

Postby Chenonceau » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:31 pm

Hard for me to answer this 'cos I dun think my kids pull naturally ahead of their peers. If they showed me that they did and really wanted to, then I would accelerate them. But they didn't and only cope with the current system because I hothouse DS in P5 and P6.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:19 pm

i don't have confidence that i have the means (knowledge/money/understanding) to accelerate my kid 100% outside MOE's system. :sweat:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sleepy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:28 pm

2ppaamm wrote:If your child can cope with higher level work, would you do whatever you know/can to accelerate him, or stick to the current education system and let him learn with his peers?

My dd accelerated 2 years with external center. Just for Maths.

We do not have the financial resources to send her overseas for level skipping. There isn't much we can do but to conform to local system.

She isn't trying very hard to study. So I guess, the bright side of under achieving potential is, she does get to enjoy her childhood.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:39 pm

My youngest boy brought home his Maths homework today from school. He is P3, learning subtraction of two 3-digit numbers. There were 3 pages of homework on this topic! He doggedly finished the three pages, checked dutifully and kept the work in his bag.

The funny thing is, this is the first time he did not complain about Math school work, perhaps one month back in the Singapore system is all it takes to recondition him. He already knew how to add two 3-digit numbers two years ago. I thought to myself, could he have done something better in that 30 minutes?

What could I have done?
1. Played monopoly and taught him how to invest through games
2. Beat a cake and put it in the oven to bake
3. Read newspapers together
4. Taught him arithmetic progression

I'm not sure where your kids are intellectually in P3. But chances are, even if he/she is not already adding two 3-digit numbers, it does not take him/her three pages to learn. Some may take just one, some two, many will take 1 page and only a handful require all three pages. But the public education system will always sink to the lowest denominator, and cater for the 50th to 25th percentile.

So, imagine how many kids are bored in the classroom. I am not talking about the profoundly gifted (one in a million), exceptionally gifted (one in 100K), moderately gifted or gifted (one in a hundred). I am talking about the top 10% to 25% of our children. Many are bored.

I believe children should be allowed to learn at their own pace, to have an education system that caters to their abilities. They should be spending time pursuing what they love, not spending the whole year brushing up their exam taking skills.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:53 pm

Chenonceau wrote:Hard for me to answer this 'cos I dun think my kids pull naturally ahead of their peers. If they showed me that they did and really wanted to, then I would accelerate them. But they didn't and only cope with the current system because I hothouse DS in P5 and P6.

Contrary to what you think, I believe your kids are ahead of their peers. From your sharing, I think they are probably more matured and more stable than most kids, and certainly have good EQs.

If you didn't have to handle PSLE, you'll never have to hot house. If you don't have to hot house, I believe they would have progressed to much higher level work by now, and happily so.

Let's say a child does not have to do PSLE, his time is released from all these work. This time is used to pursue his high school studies. Every 3 hours x 12 weeks, he earns a credit in high school (about Sec 1 or Sec 2 level), after 25 of these, he goes to the university. His self-esteem increases, his time in school shortens, he has time to make more friends, for sports, for music, for mummy. Does this make sense?

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BeContented » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:57 pm

jedamum wrote:i don't have confidence that i have the means (knowledge/money/understanding) to accelerate my kid 100% outside MOE's system. :sweat:

Same here. Dun have the financial resources too.
However, if my kids can be accelerated smoothly (ie. willing to learn, able to cope), will let them do it within MOE system.

As to comments about MOE being very sticky on allowing acceleration, frankly I do support the MOE on this. Look at the GEP program, despite all the talks about natural giftedness, many are still pushing for all the preparation courses etc. If MOE is to be less stringent about acceleration, I really cannot imagine what will happen next.....you will have all the tuition centres coming up with accelerated program, kids attending tuition 1-3 levels up etc etc .....

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:02 am

jedamum wrote:i don't have confidence that i have the means (knowledge/money/understanding) to accelerate my kid 100% outside MOE's system. :sweat:

If someone gives your the knowledge, made it cheap and teach you how to do it, what other concerns would you have?

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:06 am

I have watched some of my son's HA primary school classmates, and I wonder why they 'fall off' in secondary schools. They lost interest, fall to the bottom of the class, and simply are no longer interested in studies.

I wonder, if they have higher self-esteem, if they were allowed to move at a faster pace when they were younger and very eager to learn. Would they have dropped off? Sometimes I wonder, if I have left my son in the public school, could he have also fallen like his friends...

My son's answer is, "Very likely". He couldn't find like minded friends who would discuss about a pencil. They were more interested in Maths and Science. He loves philosophy, arts, films, Socrates and psychology.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:16 am

I'm curious, for these exceptionally gifted kids who embark on an acceleration program, after moving on to Uni and graduating with a basic degree, perhaps before 18yo? What happens next? Move on to higher education like PhD and embark on an academic/ research career?

But if the teen is not interested in furthering studies, then go out to the workforce?

:?

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time