The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans

Postby kitty2 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:55 am

I got this from my mail

The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans. Are they sick?

Observations made by a German national who has lived in Singapore for 9 years.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

44 years of economic and material success have spawned some very strange behaviours among Singaporeans.

They spent so much to buy a house or flat, furnished it up like a
palace, but spent their time outside, most of the time at work. And
the maids are the ones enjoying the million-dollar or
multi-million-dollar assets..

Then they pay so much, the highest in the world, for a car only to
be parked at home. It is a fact that driving is too expensive: too many ERPs and car park charges to pay. And drivers are encouraged to park their cars at home and take public transport, being cheaper and more convenient.

And when Singaporeans travel, instead of seeing the exotic places, they focus on shopping. The irony is that they tend to head for the cheapest bargains, buying stuff that they can get in Singapore Chinatown or pasar malam, at even cheaper prices. But they still feel good, deceiving themselves that they get fantastic bargains.

And while life here has been a rat-race and full of stress, Singaporeans have been told to bust off if they are not happy (this being impossible), the rich
and presumably very happy and contented citizens are buying up
properties overseas just in case they need to make that escape from this 'paradise'.

While many Singaporeans are thinking of jumping ship, or are preparing to jump ship, hoards of new immigrants are rushing in to take their place in this red dot.

And to top it all up, they keep complaining about the govt and all the
policies that they have found unpalatable; yet come every election, they
will vote and return the government to power.

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans

Postby raysusan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:09 am

i like the last paragraph ....lol

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby chenwj » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:28 am

I think Singapore is too small and there isn't greenery or space to unwind. Somehow Singaporeans feel "Squeezed" and the general lack of recreational activities.

chenwj
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby pinky » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:29 am

as the Chinese saying goes: 1 needle poke and see blood (singlish translation) :evil: :evil:
I don't agree with the desciption bizarre but I think ironical is a better word IMHO.

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:54 am

pinky wrote:as the Chinese saying goes: 1 needle poke and see blood (singlish translation) :evil: :evil:
I don't agree with the desciption bizarre but I think ironical is a better word IMHO.

it is just a satirical poke at singaporeans ..... lol
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby shinri » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:59 pm

kitty2 wrote:They spent so much to buy a house or flat, furnished it up like a

Well, it's not by choice that we have to spend a lot of $$ to buy a flat, HDB prices only increase..
And who doesn't wanna go home to a nicely-decorated place to unwind, after all that stress at work?

kitty2 wrote:Then they pay so much, the highest in the world, for a car only to
be parked at home. It is a fact that driving is too expensive: too many ERPs and car park charges to pay. And drivers are encouraged to park their cars at home and take public transport, being cheaper and more convenient.

Blame it on govt's COE policy..
And again, govt's idea of having ERP. And some places are harder to find carpark space.
Govt is the one 'encouraging' public transport, by making private transport more costly.

kitty2 wrote:And when Singaporeans travel, instead of seeing the exotic places, they focus on shopping. The irony is that they tend to head for the cheapest bargains, buying stuff that they can get in Singapore Chinatown or pasar malam, at even cheaper prices. But they still feel good, deceiving themselves that they get fantastic bargains.

Well, one doesn't get high-end fashion in Chinatown or Pasar Malam, right?
Other countries tend to have items/fashion which can't be found in Singapore.
Even the Uniqlo here is extremely lacking compared to HK, Japan branches. Not to mention, expensive as well.

kitty2 wrote:While many Singaporeans are thinking of jumping ship, or are preparing to jump ship, hoards of new immigrants are rushing in to take their place in this red dot.

Blame govt for pro-immigration policy. There will not be "hoards of new immigrants" if govt had not opened the floodgate.

kitty2 wrote:And to top it all up, they keep complaining about the govt and all the

Hmm.. seems like I've complained a lot on the govt here already :evil:
The govt does a good job on most stuff, it just needs a lashing, to "wake up their idea". :stupid:

shinri
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby peapot » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:13 pm

This is funny. Quite true in a certain sense. but I find Europeans strange too. They can spend the entire day on the same beach or pool everyday doing the same thing when they're at a beach resort.

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:11 am

kitty2 wrote:I got this from my mail

The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans. Are they sick?

Observations made by a German national who has lived in Singapore for 9 years.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

44 years of economic and material success have spawned some very strange behaviours among Singaporeans.

They spent so much to buy a house or flat, furnished it up like a

Then they pay so much, the highest in the world, for a car only to

And when Singaporeans travel, instead of seeing the exotic places, they focus on shopping. The irony is that they tend to head for the cheapest bargains, buying stuff that they can get in Singapore Chinatown or pasar malam, at even cheaper prices. But they still feel good, deceiving themselves that they get fantastic bargains.

And while life here has been a rat-race and full of stress, Singaporeans have been told to bust off if they are not happy (this being impossible), the rich
and presumably very happy and contented citizens are buying up
properties overseas just in case they need to make that escape from this 'paradise'.

While many Singaporeans are thinking of jumping ship, or are preparing to jump ship, hoards of new immigrants are rushing in to take their place in this red dot.

And to top it all up, they keep complaining about the govt and all the

:goodpost: Such ironies of life...

I like especially the part about the maids... and the cars...no, I like the whole article.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinky » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:44 pm

guess he won't be applying for PR or SC anytime soon :evil: :evil:
then again, having stayed here for 9 years, hmmmm....

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:52 am

pinky wrote:guess he won't be applying for PR or SC anytime soon :evil: :evil:
then again, having stayed here for 9 years, hmmmm....

:lol: Why convert to SC? Maybe he is PR :?

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time