Options for part-time working in the morning??

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Options for part-time working in the morning??

Postby mwchua » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:31 am

Hi,

Wish to seek your advice.

I am contemplating a part-time role which will be from 8-1pm kind of timing. Have done some research and not many types of roles will be able to accommodate the required timing. My current role in client relation management at a financial institution does not facilitate this, nor does the current employer embraces part time working arrangement altogether.

I have thought of options like: teacher at enrichment centre (but they will need afternoon and night time teaching as students usually attend tuition after school in the morning), P/T lecturer at poly (but they will assign timing based on available slots). There is really not much option available if strictly morning kind of roles, unless like be the receptionist, or at Mac outlets…..

Any options which I may have overlooked? Looking forward to your kind advice :smile: Any idea will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Rgds,
Ming

mwchua
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Options for part-time working in the morning??

Postby Joule » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:00 pm

Hello;

from what it sounds like:

sounds like a relief teacher job.

but relief teacher is 7.30 am - maybe 1.30 pm

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Mdm Koh » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:09 pm

You could do freelance work or look out for tuition assignments. Some foreign students have not enrolled in local schools yet, so they can have lessons in the mornings.

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby LadyInBlack » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:50 pm

mwchua wrote:Hi,

I am contemplating a part-time role which will be from 8-1pm kind of timing. Have done some research and not many types of roles will be able to accommodate the required timing. My current role in client relation management at a financial institution does not facilitate this, nor does the current employer embraces part time working arrangement altogether.

I have thought of options like: teacher at enrichment centre (but they will need afternoon and night time teaching as students usually attend tuition after school in the morning), P/T lecturer at poly (but they will assign timing based on available slots). There is really not much option available if strictly morning kind of roles, unless like be the receptionist, or at Mac outlets…..

Any options which I may have overlooked? Looking forward to your kind advice :smile: Any idea will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Rgds,
Ming

Ive been searching for jobs with the same timing as yours...if you do find any, pls let me know...ive tried all options currently too... :frustrated:

LadyInBlack
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Zann » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:22 pm

mwchua wrote:Hi,

We are in the same boat!!!

It seems that only civil service can accept flexi working hours.

One mother just tendered a resignation and surprisingly her boss tried to retain her so let her do as this timing she wishes. She has been like :dancing: so happy for so many years since her child enter p1, even though her child in upper primary stay back in school most of the afternoon, but she just enjoy her time off in the afternoon.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby mwchua » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:34 pm

Yup, seems that a lot of us are facing the same dilemma......I do know that I cannot have my cake and eat it too.

For me personally, the nature of my job has always been more frontline in nature. Thus it's not easy fitting into a part-time working arrangement. I do know that some kind of compromise will have to be worked out by me, i.e. go into a role which is more admin/routine in nature and accept a correspondingly lower pay, in return for more time with my girl. But even that sometimes is not easy to come by...

Zann - Thanks for letting us know that civil service does allow such arrangements. I have heard from my friends that sometimes it's not the employer, but rather one's direct boss who can influence the feasibility of such an arrangement, unless the company explicitly disallows such a arrangement.

For example, in my previous place, even though the company itself prides itself at being winner of "family-friendly" awards, and we do have policies in place allowing such arrangement, and colleagues undertaking such, my direct boss expressly said "No" to any such a proposal, without even considering. His reasoning is that he does not want to set a "precedent" in his department, which he believe will impact his KPI and bottomline.

So even though policies are in place, if one's direct boss is not supportive of such a move, it's as good as a white elephant.... :stupid:

Sorry to vent....sharing my personal experience.... :frustrated:

mwchua
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby limlim » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:42 pm

Cleaning industry? Should be quite flexible..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby carebear » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:58 pm

Part time clinic assistant,part time patient service assistant in a hospital part time bank staff, part time security guard.........

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby UncleLim » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:52 pm

From an employer's point of view, the secret to taking in part time staff is "twinning". That is: You and a friend take the same job. You take AM, she takes PM. Or you take Mon,Wed,Fri and she takes Tue,Thu,Sat. But I guess most mums want to take only the AM slots so finding their "twin" might be a bit tough.

The net effect is that the job is done and whatever "handing-over" takes place transparently without the employer having to manage anything more than 1 full-time employee.

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jedamum » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:17 pm

UncleLim wrote:From an employer's point of view, the secret to taking in part time staff is "twinning". That is: You and a friend take the same job. You take AM, she takes PM. Or you take Mon,Wed,Fri and she takes Tue,Thu,Sat. But I guess most mums want to take only the AM slots so finding their "twin" might be a bit tough.

The net effect is that the job is done and whatever "handing-over" takes place transparently without the employer having to manage anything more than 1 full-time employee.

twinning may not work if both part time staff wants only to do minimum.
i almost successfully done part timing (3 days a week; 'almost successful' was because coy kept loading me with projects thinking that i am super efficient :roll: when i actually done work on my off days at home) when i paired up with an assistant who was a go-getter. he wanted to learn as much as he could, wanted guidance, but boss could not pass him projects as he was a junior/newbie. i was real lucky at that time.... :boogie:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time