What have your kids stopped doing after they got to P3/P4?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

What have your kids stopped doing after they got to P3/P4?

Postby concern2 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:22 pm

Many in this forum have mentioned that despite the holistic approach by some schools at P1 and P2 level, when the kids get to P3 / P4, reality of exams dawn.

I am starting to dread the kind of activities my kids would have less time for, such as legos, playing together and with cousins, going to the outdoors, music, drawing, reading (non-syllabus related), TV, dinner time together, etc. And perhaps new activities would have emerged since they're older and physically fitter - but can't do them due to the school work's that's piling up?

What is left of their leisure time, the time for themselves? And that free time to themselves is going to get less and less, right? Am I being too pessimistic? I want to know the reality from you - experienced parents.

What are the first things/ activities to go normally? And do they have a choice? What would their choices have been if you are the one deciding?

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: What have your kids stopped doing after they got to P3/P

Postby jesschan » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:51 pm

My kids merely cut down on TV hours and lazing time because they are spending more time in school and home studying. Doing sports have become their main play time, so they are spending more time on sports. Playing time with cousins have remain unchanged and they also start to spend more time on leisure reading. So, I think moving on to upper primary levels has been fairly ok for my kids.

jesschan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Suz855 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:07 pm

My dd actually had more down time in her p3 n p4, so it really depend on the school. But this yr, in p5, the school organize so many afterschool activities n couple with the homework given, can see that she had less time for outdoor, tv n she haven't request for fri movie nite since school starts :smile:

Suz855
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Careermum » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:50 pm

Less TV, less Sunday outings. Now weekends are for homework & studies.

Careermum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:56 pm

lesser tv and computer time. he used to watch tv daily, but now is once or twice a week. i try to borrow (fromNLB) cartoons dvds for him so that he can chill out on saturday evenings (our socall 'movie nights') because we had been going out a lot lesser too.
lesser play time with the younger brother.
lesser sleep too. he used to sleep at 8.30pm. now he goes to bed at 10pm. :(

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:48 am

Careermum wrote:Less TV, less Sunday outings. Now weekends are for homework & studies.

What school is that?? So much homework that it'll take up the whole wkend?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LadyInBlack » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:03 am

I feel they have less bonding time with their siblings! And yes the reality of exams starts! its really sad..even I miss my children cos there they are at school till 4 or 5 pm...

LadyInBlack
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby concern2 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:33 am

LadyInBlack wrote:..even I miss my children cos there they are at school till 4 or 5 pm...

:yikes: LadyInBlack, how often is that?

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:34 am

jedamum wrote:lesser sleep too. he used to sleep at 8.30pm. now he goes to bed at 10pm. :(

Oh yeah jedamum, SLEEP! :sad:

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:42 am

I am experiencing the opposite actually. DD is in P3 this year and just started morning session. With this change in schedule, she suddenly has a lot more time in the afternoons. I managed to arrange all academic engagements on weekdays so we have the weekends free to do what we want.

This is P3, so maybe still not so stressful. Dunno if she will have more stuff come P4.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time