MOE - Animal Farm...

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Re: MOE - Animal Farm...

Postby Joule » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:58 pm

Translation:

If everyone go and get diploma, then who is going to deliver my pizza?

Opinion:

by the very fact that you are in a forum called 'kiasuparents', your kids should be quite faaar away from this fate.

if else, you can be in the forum 'bochup parents'

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Joule » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Translation:

"If everyone go and get diploma, then who is going to deliver my pizza?"

is similar to:

"If everyone can move up, we will not have enough ITE graduates out there in the workforce,"

I was sort of 'mocking' that way of thinking.

However...however...

So given if my P3 goes to ITE and wakes up there, his life is more or less 'destined' to deliver pizzas??

I think (I cannot say for you ah, only my own opinion) the workplace - especially GLCs are extremely cruel to ITE grads (only ITE cert) in terms of pay increment and benefits.

I know of friends and my subordinates who with ITE cert work 5 - 7 years still pay only less than 2k, then all the foreigners come in and get 2k ++ due to S-pass for similar job. Some more the foreigner english not so good, work ethnic not so good, anyhow take MC, still get higher pay.

I oso want to promote one of my best guys with higher Nitec to 'engineer' but HR say 'CANNOT! Engineer MUST have Dip minimum' and they do not want to pay this guy engineer payscale. And this guy also don't want to do cos more overtime but no overtime pay.

So I stand there suck thumb. In the end a 'foreigner' got it because no one internally to fill.

you hear oredi you pek chek or not?? This is the sort of crap ITE holders face in the workplace at starting level.

Then they all cannot get a place in Poly. So how? Borrow money from here and there and study part time at night and get a diploma la!

If you are from ITE, your life is not destined to deliver pizza...unless you let it!

By the way, got 1 electrician with ITE cert went to my house to fix my light. $190 for 1/2 hr work. Better than tuition I say

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Oppsgal » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:57 pm

Is this a good excuse not to study hard? :lol:

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KiasuAdult » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:23 pm

His explanation on his facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/LawrenceWongST?ref=ts

Today carried a report of my dialogue with ITE students yesterday, noting the strong desire of the students to get a diploma.

It quoted me as saying, “if everyone can move up, we will not have enough ITE graduates out there in the workforce”. Unfortunately, this was taken out of context.

I would like to share with you what transpired in the dialogue so that you have a fuller picture.

I explained to the ITE students that MOE has been expanding places in the polytechnics so that they can further their education.

In fact, we are doing all we can to expand capacity in the polytechnics. In 1995, about 12% of ITE students progressed directly to the polytechnics. Currently, this proportion is at 22%, and it will be increased further to 25%.

So, even more ITE students will have the chance to get a diploma.

I've met many ITE students who have succeeded in getting a place in the polytechnic. One of them is Mr Muhammad bin Moh Jauhari.

He did well in ITE College West and got direct entry into the second year of electrical engineering at Ngee Ann polytechnic. With the increased places in the polytechnics, I hope that there will be more examples like him.

But even with the expansion of places, I was upfront in highlighting to the students that not all of them will be able to get a place in the polytechnic.

There is a strong industry demand for ITE graduates, and the job market needs people with their technical skills.

The polytechnics also have to maintain a certain entry criteria to uphold the standards of diploma education.

Moreover, we do not want to end up in a situation like some countries where they have rapidly expanded diploma/degree places, resulting in large unemployment or under-employment of such graduates.

Nevertheless, for the students who are unable to get a place in the polytechnic, I encouraged them not to be disappointed or give up.

There are other pathways to upgrade themselves and further their studies.

In particular, MOE has expanded and enhanced the part-time diploma programmes in the polytechnics. So ITE graduates can work first, and then upgrade their skills later, to keep current with industry needs.

I also told the students that this is an attractive pathway for them to consider.

Because when they start work, they will have a better understanding of what they enjoy doing, what they are good at, and what industries they would like to work in.

They will then be able to upgrade their skills in that particular industry through a part-time diploma, which is subsidised by the government, and which their employers will also support.

KiasuAdult
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby 3Boys » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:18 pm

Lawrence Wong is actually quite a nice fellow from what I understand, I know of him through a few other people. People who have worked for him have generally liked him, I have been told.

Things taken out of context should really be seen in the fullness of what had been said. If we start removing people from posts because of occasional faux-pas, we will have no one left standing.

And what he says is not untrue. We should not create diploma courses for the sake of generating diploma holders.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Joule » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:52 pm

The 'CANNOT' doesn't really only apply to ITE grads, it applies across the board and unless one can pull some strings to overcome one or two criterior that are actually insignificant to overall picture, the one can only 'suck thumb'...

I just highlight it

cos ITE grad are lowest , or almost lowest on the food chain

nowadays the big company and GLC are 没良心

I know bleeding hearts are not really the way to do business

but :

they give them contract year after year. this mean - sorri, no extra bonus for you, just take your 13th mth and go. Got 13th mth? very lucky oredi, ok?? some company don't even wanna give.

sorry, you wanna increment? promotion? cannot, cos you ARE NOT QUALIFIED enough. HR says so, end of story!

The way this game is rigged, it's purposely for the ITE grads to get stuck behind. That's why I supposed those ITE grads that 'pia' and study part time will become more successful. They get whacked and still come out victorious.

think about it. low qualifications means low pay. already you need $$ to get higher qualification studying part time. So where does the $$ come from? you got to scrimp and save and study. If you have no family support, forget it. You're stuck in this rut for a long time.

ITE is not the end, but it sure is a long and hard road to take, at least in the first few years of life.

by the way, this is why non of my techs are gonna vote for the 'white party' ever

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby caroline3sg » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:34 am

insider wrote:
3Boys wrote:
Things taken out of context should really be seen in the fullness of what had been said. If we start removing people from posts because of occasional faux-pas, we will have no one left standing.

And what he says is not untrue. We should not create diploma courses for the sake of generating diploma holders.

Emmm...I don't think this is a matter of 'taking things out from context' coz those are the words that he really used when speaking to the students. It was his wrong phrasing of words that he has to clarify again later in his facebook...

I think nobody is asking him to create diploma courses for the sake of generating diploma holders and also nobody is asking for "everyone can move up".

What ITE students probably are asking is give those who deserve a poly admission a chance to give themselves another shot instead of curbing them coz of 'employers' demand for ITE graduates. .

"If you can make the mark to poly, there will be a place for you" is more hopeful than "If everyone can move up, we will not have enough ITE graduates out there in the workforce".

Those who cannot make the mark, of course they have to be somewhere working with 'employers' demand for ITE graduates. .

Instead of saying that his words were taken out of context, maybe it would be better if he just admits it's his wrong choice of words that created the uproar among the ITE students...

:goodpost:
Insider, I share your sentiments after reading his FB post. It is his choice of words.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Daddy D » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:42 am

It's reality... And the hard truth?
But not everyone can/dare say the hard truth and back it up.
Only our forefathers and founders...
:salute:

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:00 am

Joule wrote:
ITE is not the end, but it sure is a long and hard road to take, at least in the first few years of life.

by the way, this is why non of my techs are gonna vote for the 'white party' ever

think it's has gotten worse over the last 10 yrs coz many of their jobs have been taken up by myanmar nationals.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time