Worried parents taking children to psychologists

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Worried parents taking children to psychologists

Postby Daddy D » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:49 pm

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNew ... 64711.html

"These days, enrichment classes are not the only extras in children's schedules.
Parents are also packing their children off to see psychologists - paying upwards of $100 per hour - fearing that they may have learning disabilities.
Some do so on the advice of teachers. Others do so because their children have problems coping in school, presumably because of the accelerated pace of learning...
But many parents are confusing anxiety to perform in school with learning disabilities..."

Sad lah... And they still say our kids no drive... Later all drive to IMH...
:faint:

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2745
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 3


Re: Worried parents taking children to psychologists

Postby Joule » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:11 pm

I think it is the parents that are 'mental', not the kids.

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:45 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: Worried parents taking children to psychologists

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:45 pm

brings to mind Glenn Hoddle and his faith healer during the 1998 world cup finals!!

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 14662
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am
Total Likes: 148


Re: Worried parents taking children to psychologists

Postby Daddy D » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:01 pm

The ST article today also listed out some Maths questions...

E.g. Primary 2 Maths Q

"Mrs Tan had 30 chickens and ducks. She put the chickens in six baskets and the ducks in four baskets. The number of chickens in each of the six baskets was equal to the number of ducks in each of the four baskets. How many chickens and how many ducks did Mrs Tan have?
Answer: 18 chickens and 12 ducks."

I was like :siao: :faint:
How long-winded can u get?

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2745
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 3


Re: Worried parents taking children to psychologists

Postby truffle » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Poor kids!!!Why make life so difficult for them!!
who ever set this kind of maths questions need to reflect!!! Is it nesscessary??

:mad: :mad:

truffle
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:39 am
Total Likes: 0



Re: Worried parents taking children to psychologists

Postby silverhorse » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:26 pm

Daddy D wrote:The ST article today also listed out some Maths questions... E.g. Primary 2 Maths Q "Mrs Tan had 30 chickens and ducks. She put the chickens in six baskets and the ducks in four baskets. The number of chickens in each of the six baskets was equal to the number of ducks in each of the four baskets. How many chickens and how many ducks did Mrs Tan have? Answer: 18 chickens and 12 ducks." I was like :siao: :faint: How long-winded can u get?


Agree, kids are put off once they start reading the question. I am gonna let my DS1 try out the P4 questions on ST today ...already, I find his school maths paper soooo tough.

silverhorse
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:32 pm
Total Likes: 6


Re: Worried parents taking children to psychologists

Postby Oppsgal » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:28 pm

I don't know how to get the answer... :oops:

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 4:24 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: Worried parents taking children to psychologists

Postby pinky » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:36 pm

truffle wrote:Poor kids!!!Why make life so difficult for them!!
who ever set this kind of maths questions need to reflect!!! Is it nesscessary??

:mad: :mad:


the so called 'challenging' questions to further 'push' our kids to 'think out of the box' :siao:
understandable why kids are so stressed nowasdays :sad:

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2832
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:03 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Worried parents taking children to psychologists

Postby Oppsgal » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:36 pm

The number of chickens in each of the six baskets was equal to the number of ducks in each of the four baskets

So? number of chickens in 1 chicken basket = number of ducks in 1 duck basket :?

:shrug: Luckily I am not in this generation. Think the sentence is confusing enough. :yikes:

Actually answer is 30 of animals divided by 10 units? Chicken 6 units so 3X6. Duck 4 units so 3X4? Ok...I cheated a little by looking at the answer. :wink:

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 4:24 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: Worried parents taking children to psychologists

Postby silverhorse » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:47 pm

pinky wrote:
truffle wrote:Poor kids!!!Why make life so difficult for them!!
who ever set this kind of maths questions need to reflect!!! Is it nesscessary??

:mad: :mad:


the so called 'challenging' questions to further 'push' our kids to 'think out of the box' :siao:
understandable why kids are so stressed nowasdays :sad:


So at P1, the kids language skills and analytical skills have to be honed. If not, catch no ball.

silverhorse
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:32 pm
Total Likes: 6


Next

Return to Recess Time