Say 'Yes' To Eldercare Services

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Say 'Yes' To Eldercare Services

Postby tankee » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:35 pm

SINGAPORE: News of some residents petitioning against plans to build elderly-friendly facilities in their neighbourhood has prompted some Singaporeans to start a movement to counter the uproar.

In the past two weeks, some residents in Woodlands were up in arms over the proposed construction of an elder day-care centre at the void decks of Blocks 860 and 861 at Woodlands Street 83.

They are worried that building an elder-care centre at their void decks may mean more deaths in the area.

Meanwhile residents in Toh Yi Drive were unhappy over the proposed plans to build a studio apartment block for the elderly near their homes.

Such reactions prompted a group of social workers from Marine Parade Family Service Centre to act.

CEO of Marine Parade Family Service Centre, Samuel Ng, said: "The feedback by my colleagues, the social workers, and friends are that people are getting very upset. Some even say 'what has our society become? Are we (seeing) the downfall of our social values?'

"So...rather than sit there, get angry, lament and life goes on...the younger social workers took on the challenge."

They set up a "I Love Seniors" group on Facebook.

A petition, "Say 'Yes' To Eldercare Services", is also gaining buzz online.....

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 47/1/.html

tankee
Site Admin

Re: Say 'Yes' To Eldercare Services

Postby tankee » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:36 pm

and in case you are interested, the online petition is here

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/y ... lyservices

:)

tankee
Site Admin

Postby raysusan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:40 pm

i stay very near there
and i support the project

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BeContented » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:26 pm

tankee wrote:and in case you are interested, the online petition is here

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/y ... lyservices

:)

Thank you tankee for the link. Have supported it.
Sad to see all these selfish people trying to push such things to other people's backyard. Our population are aging and so will we one day.....such facilities will be useful to many.....and it's just a matter of time before more and more of such facilities will be setup around the neighborhood.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby usaik » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:14 am

Tankee, thank you so much for posting this. It is indeed heartening to see this post. I too have signed the petition.

Raysusan, thank you for being so selfless. Thank you Becontented, there is hope with people like you around. At least I know with folks like you around, I may not have to be shipped out of the country when I grow old.

usaik
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby b2b3m4 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:05 am

I really find some people very contradicting. We got upset when our former Health Minister want to send our parents to JB. Now the govt want to put them near our house and we got upset.
I fully support eldercare service and do not mind if they are build at my flat's void deck.

b2b3m4
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Funz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:06 am

I say 'YES' to eldercare services in void decks.

In fact, I think the govt should plan to have enough eldercares in every estate like the way they plan for childcare centres.

I would rather the void decks be used for such services then for it to be empty places for teens and workers and aimless souls to gather to smoke and drink and cause trouble.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Mdm Koh » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:11 pm

I've signed the petition too. We don't have enough eldercare facilities in Singapore. If MOH wants to build eldercare facilities near my house, I would give my full support too. The residents of Woodlands and Toh Yi have reasons for their protests, but those reasons are not convincing, in my opinion.

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tutormum » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:01 pm

Thanks Tankee. I was wondering how to sign the petition for the past few days.Last year, an Eldercare centre was built at the void deck of my neighbouring block. Nobody thought much of it let alone protest against it. There is always a few elderly sitting and chilling out at my void deck. They are a familiar sight. In fact I feel safe with them around cos they know if there's a stranger or intruder in the area. When I first moved in, they 'screened' me, giving me the suspicious look. :lol:

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dimsum » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:05 pm

I had signed it few days ago. Hope more KSP parents can sign.

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time