Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Child Underperforms Because Tested Above Cognitive Level

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Would you or won't you worry if your child were failing in P2?

Yes
96%
No
4%

Total votes : 73

Re: Child Underperforms Because Tested Above Cognitive Level

Postby beanbear » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:11 am

janet_lee88 wrote:
try wrote:The poor child is tired after a full day of lessons in school. Teachers are tired, the kids are also tired. How can a supplementary lesson be of help ?

That's why it really takes courage for a Parent to make a stand and take their child out of supplementary. Teachers scare the children by telling them they are continuing to teach new stuff so our children are afraid to miss and then parents also become scared to miss supplementary class. I finally bite the bullet and convinced myself, my son and the school teacher that supplementary classes DO NOT HELP.

I told my son - you don't have to worry about missing the lessons. Resting is more important. After supplementary classes, there's still a pile of homework and he hasn't even had time to revise what was previously covered. There's only so much time in a day.

I regret it took me so long to realize this. He went for supplementary class from P3 - P5 - 3 times a week. Now the mother is more effective teaching him all 4 subjects at home. If I was a full time stay home mum I truly believe now I could do a better job teaching than what the teachers are dishing out.

Like Chen, I'm also convinced it's worth it to have DS take leave from school. Since it's 2 weeks from CA1. It's really about revision. Schools are not practising what they preach. They tell you revision is important but they are still cramming in new stuff every day. Papers are not marked fast enough - you get it 1 week later if you're lucky and then you don't get feedback on your paper - just lots of red cancellations, arrows. Rubbish!!

I have found immediate feedback is critical. Specific feedback is critical. Teachers want to keep giving test papers that's fine - but give digestable feedback!

beanbear
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:02 am

beanbear wrote:That's why it really takes courage for a Parent to make a stand and take their child out of supplementary. Teachers scare the children by telling them they are continuing to teach new stuff so our children are afraid to miss and then parents also become scared to miss supplementary class. I finally bite the bullet and convinced myself, my son and the school teacher that supplementary classes DO NOT HELP.

Yes... DS goes very selectively for supplementary. I will always ask what will be covered. If the Teacher says "the syllabus" then he doesn't go because it is just teaching from textbook, which is like chick lit.

beanbear wrote:Papers are not marked fast enough - you get it 1 week later if you're lucky and then you don't get feedback on your paper - just lots of red cancellations, arrows. Rubbish!!

I have found immediate feedback is critical. Specific feedback is critical. Teachers want to keep giving test papers that's fine - but give digestable feedback!

The Teachers have too many students, and not enough teaching support (materials) and time, I guess. But I agree. Marking is not specific enough. I will upload a picture of my marking, against one of the Teacher's marking, and this will be so clear.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pixiedust » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:11 am

beanbear wrote:..In the midst of this crazy system we are in, our BELIEF in our children's self-worth, their identity is worth far more than any results on a slip of paper can do. The child must also believe they were worth more than what a slip of paper tells them. These days, I remind myself to keep telling my DS1 who is sitting for his PSLE this year, that yes you have to work hard, yes it's tough, yes you have your goals. AND if in the end, when the results do not commensurate with the effort, YOU ARE OK. Your identity is worth far more than whatever number is on that paper.

I printed this out and pasted on my desk. :lovesite: :goodpost:

pixiedust
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:19 am

pixiedust wrote:
beanbear wrote:..In the midst of this crazy system we are in, our BELIEF in our children's self-worth, their identity is worth far more than any results on a slip of paper can do. The child must also believe they were worth more than what a slip of paper tells them. These days, I remind myself to keep telling my DS1 who is sitting for his PSLE this year, that yes you have to work hard, yes it's tough, yes you have your goals. AND if in the end, when the results do not commensurate with the effort, YOU ARE OK. Your identity is worth far more than whatever number is on that paper.

I printed this out and pasted on my desk. :lovesite: :goodpost:

Yeah... I should print out and show my son.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kitty2 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:51 am

beanbear wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:
try wrote:The poor child is tired after a full day of lessons in school. Teachers are tired, the kids are also tired. How can a supplementary lesson be of help ?

That's why it really takes courage for a Parent to make a stand and take their child out of supplementary. Teachers scare the children by telling them they are continuing to teach new stuff so our children are afraid to miss and then parents also become scared to miss supplementary class. I finally bite the bullet and convinced myself, my son and the school teacher that supplementary classes DO NOT HELP.

I told my son - you don't have to worry about missing the lessons. Resting is more important. After supplementary classes, there's still a pile of homework and he hasn't even had time to revise what was previously covered. There's only so much time in a day.

I regret it took me so long to realize this. He went for supplementary class from P3 - P5 - 3 times a week. Now the mother is more effective teaching him all 4 subjects at home. If I was a full time stay home mum I truly believe now I could do a better job teaching than what the teachers are dishing out.

Like Chen, I'm also convinced it's worth it to have DS take leave from school. Since it's 2 weeks from CA1. It's really about revision. Schools are not practising what they preach. They tell you revision is important but they are still cramming in new stuff every day. Papers are not marked fast enough - you get it 1 week later if you're lucky and then you don't get feedback on your paper - just lots of red cancellations, arrows. Rubbish!!

I agreed with the above,the problem is the teacher doesn't allow the child to skip Suppl classes as she said is compulsory!!!! :stupid: After suppl still have to finish a pile of work,no time for revision how to do well?

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:19 am

kitty2, you can insist. That's what I did for DS.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kitty2 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:26 am

Chenonceau wrote:kitty2, you can insist. That's what I did for DS.

Insisted but the teacher still rejected me,said is compulsory!!!! :stupid: I asked my son what they did in suppl classes.He said only going through compo,without doing it,must bring back to do.Go through homework and mark themselves.......doing crap!!!!I think they don't know english,don't know the meaning of SUPPLEMENTARY!!!!!

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:37 am

kitty2 wrote:

Insisted but the teacher still rejected me,said is compulsory!!!! :stupid: I asked my son what they did in suppl classes.He said only going through compo,without doing it,must bring back to do.Go through homework and mark themselves.......doing crap!!!!I think they don't know english,don't know the meaning of SUPPLEMENTARY!!!!!

Teacher also said compulsory. I kept insisting. Then I told Teacher (nicely) that I have legal rights over my own child, and I WANT him OUT of supplementary.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kitty2 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:40 am

Chenonceau wrote:
kitty2 wrote:

Teacher also said compulsory. I kept insisting. Then I told Teacher (nicely) that I have legal rights over my own child, and I WANT him OUT of supplementary.

Thanks,will try my luck again :thankyou:

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:41 pm

Chenonceau wrote:
kitty2 wrote:

Wow, thanks for sharing. Didn't know it could be that bad...
I am also getting amazed at the kind of 'compo' the kids are asked to write in school. I couldn't believe DS could write such good Chinese, and sure enough, he said he was asked to copy someone else's work. But I went :? Why need to copy? If copy from friend means friend can write so well? If copy from teacher, then how are they expected to write one on their own (tested) in 2 weeks' time?
I'm starting to scramble already.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Recess Time

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres