Car Advise

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Car Advise

Postby heyhoe » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:48 am

Hi,

I'd like to seek advise on the selling and purchase of second hand car. My hubby needs a car as he's in the project line. His first car left with only about 2 years thus the need to purchase a newer second hand car. Does anyone have recommendation for a trustworthy and good dealer?

Also, my hubby present car is a chervolet and now he's thinking of purchasing a subaru. Appreciate any feedback and recommendations.

Thanks!

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Car Advise

Postby tankee » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:51 am

Personally I tend to associate Subaru drivers to boy racers. :oops:

So if he intend to buy a second hand subaru, he needs to be super extra careful. Probably higher chance that the car has been involved in some accidents or heavily ramped or illegally modified.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby heyhoe » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:59 am

Thanks, tankee. I tend to agree with your statement.

Personally, prefer that he choose toyota/honda as I think it is more reliable and cheaper in terms of car maintenance. Easier, to get the spareparts. Just need to convince him.

Also, need trustworthy dealer that can offer better deals. Any recommendations?

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ahkeong » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:15 am

narrow down wat car u wanna get first.. den slowly filter the dealers

nowadays alot of dealers dun practise 'football money' oredi
so dun go to those who still die die wants it.. i would say leave out subaru and honda, subaru for expensive maintenance due to their engine layout and honda for potential boy racer..

ahkeong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:52 am

heyhoe wrote:Thanks, tankee. I tend to agree with your statement.

Personally, prefer that he choose toyota/honda as I think it is more reliable and cheaper in terms of car maintenance. Easier, to get the spareparts. Just need to convince him.

Also, need trustworthy dealer that can offer better deals. Any recommendations?

don't get the made in thailand one hor ......

second hand japanese cars by cycle & carriage / peformace motors seems okay because of the upgraders' profile.....less likely to be from those boy racers wannabes
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby heyhoe » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:33 am

ah keong, what is "football money"? verykiasu2010, I thought Toyota is now all made in Thailand?

My ah lau don't like Toyota cause he thinks it is old man car. I want to go for reliability but he wants sporty but within the budget. Any other car recommendation?

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:42 am

there are still made in japan toy ota, parallel imported one, better reliability than the thailand made one. the authorised dealer will say no difference but there are - same model same part / component but made by different supplier with different source of materials - got difference, big difference......I had a problem that they offered xx years of free maintenance....but "scrap" that car liao

to me the thailand made one are really cmi, tin can rolling on the road

with the cheap euro, conti cars previous used to be expensive are now well accepted in the market ...... toy ota no more market leader
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:49 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:there are still made in japan toy ota, parallel imported one, better reliability than the thailand made one. the authorised dealer will say no difference but there are - same model same part / component but made by different supplier with different source of materials - got difference, big difference......I had a problem that they offered xx years of free maintenance....but "scrap" that car liao

with the cheap euro, conti cars previous used to be expensive are now well accepted in the market ...... toy ota no more market leader

not that bad lah. Previous car was a made in Thailand but served us well for 5 yrs before we decided to change car.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ahkeong » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:51 am

heyhoe wrote:ah keong, what is "football money"? verykiasu2010, I thought Toyota is now all made in Thailand?

My ah lau don't like Toyota cause he thinks it is old man car. I want to go for reliability but he wants sporty but within the budget. Any other car recommendation?

aka known as admin fee.. its usually $500
but as the market gets more competitive.. alot of dealers scrap it oredi

ask upfront first, got admin fee or not..

reliable but sporty ah? consider the cerato forte or the avante in the 2nd hand market lo..

ahkeong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:53 am

schweppes wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:there are still made in japan toy ota, parallel imported one, better reliability than the thailand made one. the authorised dealer will say no difference but there are - same model same part / component but made by different supplier with different source of materials - got difference, big difference......I had a problem that they offered xx years of free maintenance....but "scrap" that car liao

not that bad lah. Previous car was a made in Thailand but served us well for 5 yrs before we decided to change car.

ok ok, kua zhang a little little, mine was unlucky, the lemon law not in place yet

actually hor, they provide good service by replacing the defective parts under the name of preventive maintenance and warranty and users feel very happy without knowing the root of the problems

but we also have not much choice of cars here
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time