HABBO HOTEL

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

HABBO HOTEL

Postby super_dad » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:19 pm

My girl has ditched her pokemon...and now got onto this Habbo Hotel. Very interesting. Virtual world to chit chat with other "characters", and you can buy credits to decorate your room etc. BUT....don't ever buy credits for them no matter how they roll over.....

Seems like her school mates are all into this now.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:56 pm

Well, lots of kids are into Maplestory, a MMOG. Generally pretty harmless, good intro to the virtual and online space for children. However, have to watch the level of addiction as some kids will spend their pocket money on buying furniture or weapons to spruce up their online presence.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby phantom » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:12 am

I have played Maplestory and it is really addictive. There was a time where my wife, my brother, niece and nephew including myself are all hooked on this game. There are lots of primary school children who are also onto this game.

It is also like a social networking game where people meet and chat virtually like the old IRC. Best of all, alot of these Korean MMOG is free.

phantom
Site Admin

Re: HABBO HOTEL

Postby heutistmeintag » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:01 pm

super_dad wrote:My girl has ditched her pokemon...and now got onto this Habbo Hotel. Very interesting. Virtual world to chit chat with other "characters", and you can buy credits to decorate your room etc. BUT....don't ever buy credits for them no matter how they roll over.....

Seems like her school mates are all into this now.

LOL, my kids went into Habbo about 1 yr ago and now I am "playing" with them. Besides the social factor, I was impressed by the creativity and entrepreneurship of some of the players in the game. My role in this is to cultivate some sense of financial (investment) management and occassionally fund their "investment". Let me explain.

As Super_dad had said, you can buy credits to get things to decorate the rooms and guess what, there is a secondary market for these things. You can setup virtual store and sell used items. The beauty of this is that the used stuff are still virtually new. lol

In short, there is a Habbo economy running in the game. One of the fun things that we do as a family is to spot an investment based on the popularity and usage of these things. You could hoard things and corner the market. You could create a model room with your things and create a market for the stuff that you have hoarded. ..etc Through this game, I try to give them a taste of commerce, which subsequently could be learnt in secondary schools.

Despite the fun, there is obviously the danger in any other online games. There will be blacksheeps in the online community. You get kids who swear, talk dirty, scam etc. and we still need to guide our children on the way to handle these behaviours.

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby BlueBells » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:50 am

Haha...my whole family plays MapleStory. It is quite additive, but I suppose if kids are exposed to these online games under supervision, it should be ok.

We use it to educate the kids not to disclose their true identity in the virtual world, and the dangers behind it. We have also learnt from many teenagers and pre-teens of the problems they face, understand some of the current situation in schools, etc. It is a good learning ground for us too.

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby triplediao » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:00 pm

I love Habbo Hotel. Feel free to add me. I am CherryTOEMAETOE

triplediao
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Recess Time