Irresponsible Teachers

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Irresponsible Teachers

Postby nani » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:04 pm

How do you talk to your kids about irresponsible teachers?

nani
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Irresponsible Teachers

Postby concern2 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:22 pm

What do you mean by "Irresponsible"? Perhaps can elaborate on the situation?

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:23 pm

huh? :?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nani » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:03 pm

when teachers does not response to your queries or emails even after 2 weeks? And when teacher don't follow up with a certain task that needs attention. I'm not saying that it only apply to my child but the whole class.

nani
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:54 pm

nani wrote:when teachers does not response to your queries or emails even after 2 weeks? And when teacher don't follow up with a certain task that needs attention. I'm not saying that it only apply to my child but the whole class.

It is best to call a spade a spade but it is imperative to explain that it is only with reference to this particular issue that you have seen the irresponsible behaviour. Your child needs to learn how to observe a teacher's overall contribution in class. Perhaps the teacher is doing a good job in class and busy doing lesson plans and overlook the emails? Or perhaps the teacher is technically challenged without access to the emails? Unless we have concrete information from multiple angles of a teacher behaving irresponsibly, in which case, I think seeking audience with the P is necessary, otherwise I would coach my child not to jump to conclusion about her teachers.

If a teacher is not responding to emails for the entire class, perhaps it is necessary to find out the reason why by giving a written note to the teacher via your child.

Postby nani » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:01 pm

This 'teacher' is well know for his/ her irresponsible behaviour. I just think aloud how to tell kids such that they won't shun away their respect. Respect should be earn isn't it?? Furthermore, students 'always' look up to their teachers :roll:

nani
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby alng » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:10 pm

What are you trying to achieve by telling your child that you (and other parents) think that the teacher is irresponsible?

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:33 pm

it is always a teaching point to the kids -

in this area may be s/he is "irresponsible" by your yardstick, but s/he may be very good in every other areas : important for kids not to judge too quickly and too judgmental. like someone posted before me, the teacher could be very challenged in managing this aspect of life

still must respect s/he as the authority figure over the class and has the responsibility to teach the class

parents can always call the teacher for a friendly chat if there is no email response, or make an appointment to see him/her, not straight away go see the principal, it cost you nothing to give him that respect, unless s/he wants to throw it away, but you have earned lots of respect from him/her in so doing

my DS felt unfair that a teacher punished the whole class due to just one person's persistent talking....a few years ago in primary school, and he resented the teacher. we told him what is responsibility of the teacher over the class and he learns that sometime nothing is absolutely fair, just be resilient to accept things. he and that teacher became good friends later.....the class teased him as that teacher's pet ..... (LOL)

the point it, the rain rains on both the wicked and the righteous, and so is the sunshine ..... unfair ? irresponsible ? (not the best analogy, but the point is, no one is perfect in every way based on another's measurement)
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:34 pm

I've never described Teachers as "irresponsible" or "lazy" to my DS. I also insist that he be very polite to all his Teachers. This is to protect him, more than anything else. I don't want his Teacher to pick on him.

But kids KNOW without being told that the Teacher is not doing right by them. So I also won't hide. I just state the facts.

(1) "Mrs XXX has not replied my email yet. We will have to find another way to get an answer."

(2) "Mrs XXX spelt "trooping" as "troopping". The one with 2 p is wrong.

No need to call names. Just state the facts and resolve your problem lor... and make sure the child learns the right thing/spelling/whatever. Else, things can get unpleasant and it is your child that suffers.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mdm Koh » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:15 pm

If there's any urgent matter that you need to discuss with the teacher, you should approach him in school. Teachers don't have the time to reply all their emails.

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time