Pearls Before Breakfast

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Pearls Before Breakfast

Postby 3Boys » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:58 am

An old article, to start your day --> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01721.html

Its a longish read, here's an excerpt:

"It was 7:51 a.m. on Friday, January 12, the middle of the morning rush hour. In the next 43 minutes, as the violinist performed six classical pieces, 1,097 people passedEach passerby had a quick choice to make, one familiar to commuters in any urban area where the occasional street performer is part of the cityscape: Do you stop and listen? Do you hurry past with a blend of guilt and irritation, aware of your cupidity but annoyed by the unbidden demand on your time and your wallet? Do you throw in a buck, just to be polite? Does your decision change if he's really bad? What if he's really good? Do you have time for beauty? Shouldn't you? What's the moral mathematics of the moment?

On that Friday in January, those private questions would be answered in an unusually public way. No one knew it, but the fiddler standing against a bare wall outside the Metro in an indoor arcade at the top of the escalators was one of the finest classical musicians in the world, playing some of the most elegant music ever written on one of the most valuable violins ever made. His performance was arranged by The Washington Post as an experiment in context, perception and priorities -- as well as an unblinking assessment of public taste: In a banal setting at an inconvenient time, would beauty transcend? by. "

Enjoy

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Pearls Before Breakfast

Postby jtoh » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:28 am

Thanks for sharing the article, 3Boys. It was a really good read. I'm wondering if more would have stayed on to watch and listen to Bell if they weren't rushing to catch a train or start their work day somewhere. Then again, how many people actually recognise good music when they hear it and actually expect to hear it from a street musician.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:17 am

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

-- from "Leisure," by W.H. Davies

Thank you, 3Boys for sharing. I recall reading the article some time back. Reading the writeup again, the lines above from WH Davies in the article struck a chord.

It's a mad, rat race world we live in now. I'm panting just to play catch up. I wish life is less frantic and hurtful. But that's progress, I guess.

So, where I can, I do try and find time to stop, stand and stare. Just to savour the moment and take in a breather. It's about finding beauty and poetry in the little things around us. Like fluffy clouds, a bird or two soaring in the skies, marveling at how the trees and bushes sway and nod to each other when we whiz past them alongst the roads and savouring on my durian ice cream.

Just for a moment. To stop, stand and stare to restore my sanity.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kiddo » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:32 pm

3Boys wrote:An old article, to start your day -->

"It was 7:51 a.m. on Friday, January 12, the middle of the morning rush hour. In the next 43 minutes, as the violinist performed six classical pieces, 1,097 people passedEach passerby had a quick choice to make, one familiar to commuters in any urban area where the occasional street performer is part of the cityscape: Do you stop and listen? Do you hurry past with a blend of guilt and irritation, aware of your cupidity but annoyed by the unbidden demand on your time and your wallet?

His performance was arranged by The Washington Post as an experiment in context, perception and priorities -- as well as an unblinking assessment of public taste: In a banal setting at an inconvenient time, would beauty transcend? by. "

Enjoy

Beautiful... :hi5:...Learning to do nothing :hugs:

kiddo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:42 pm

kiddo wrote:Beautiful... :hi5:...Learning to do nothing :hugs:

I often find that there is beauty in banality.

Do you like macro-photography? My fav thing to do with a camera and lens, much more than grand vistas.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:49 pm

Knowing how to do nothing and enjoy nothingness is an art for city-dwellers but not impossible.

Postby schweppes » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:51 pm

ksi wrote:Knowing how to do nothing and enjoy nothingness is an art for city-dwellers but not impossible.

:hi5:
think we need to empty our minds once in a while. too much clutter in there

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:02 pm

schweppes wrote:
ksi wrote:Knowing how to do nothing and enjoy nothingness is an art for city-dwellers but not impossible.

:hi5:
think we need to empty our minds once in a while. too much clutter in there

:hi5: yeah, spring cleaning for spring... :smile:

Postby kiddo » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:29 pm

3Boys wrote:
kiddo wrote:Beautiful... :hi5:...Learning to do nothing :hugs:

I often find that there is beauty in banality.
Do you like macro-photography? My fav thing to do with a camera and lens, much more than grand vistas.

Beauty we miss... :love:

kiddo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:25 pm

Must confess that when i first saw the thread title, i thot it was for some beauty product. Like must eat some pearl powder before breakfast to have flawless or youthful skin :faint:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time