Do you / your kids kneel down in greeting seniors in CNY?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Do you / your kids kneel down in greeting seniors in CNY?

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:05 pm

学校强迫学生向老师跪拜年

7岁儿子从没向父母下跪,却被逼全班向老师下跪拜年!

一名家长告诉《联合晚报》,不久前,7岁儿子的学校庆祝农历新年,竟要学生下跪拜年,让他感到疑惑。

不愿透露姓名的家长说,儿子就读东部小学,当天在学校礼堂,有学生代表上台,向校长和一些老师下跪拜年。

没想到,回到班上,老师依样画葫芦,要求全班同学向他下跪拜年,然后才分红包和糖果。

跪长辈传统 已不合时宜;前校长:又不是皇帝 逼跪恐招恨。完整报道,请翻阅21.02.2012《联合晚报》。
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Do you / your kids kneel down in greeting seniors in CNY

Postby Jennifer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:16 pm

The last time I kneeled was the tea ceremony for the wedding.

This year, I tried to "enforce" more traditional way of CNY: must greet elders before receiving the red packets (dun ask me why it was not like this before :lol: ), open the red packets only on the 15th day.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:13 pm

*hands up*

My family does.

We would kneel before my parents and MIL during CNY when we greet them with oranges. And when my grandmothers were alive, we'd do the same to them too. I've been doing this for as long as I can remember - since I was a student. My parents never asked or expected that out of me. But I felt it was the right thing to do. My way of showing respect and asking for forgiveness from my parents and grandparents. (maybe such a wilful child... eh... many sins to forgive :oops: :oops: )

And when I got married, I did that with dh and when the kids came along, taught them to do the same thing too. My parents and MIL always feel very embarrassed whenever we kneel down before them. They never ask or expect us to do it. But of course, they appreciate what we do.

Think I'm the only one in my family - immediate and extended family - to do this to my parents, MIL and late grandparents.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:23 pm

My take is do it if you feel comfortable with it and because you want to do it like schweppes. It should invoke a nice feeling in you, not a negative one.

In the case in that school, if it is just the teacher's whims and fancy and if the children are not willing, it would not be right to force them. In any case, it would be an insincere greeting from them, so how could the teacher feel good about it, I wonder? :shrug: If the teacher is doing it by asking them to do it as a demo and a teaching point of traditional cultures, then it is a different thing as it is a demo. So we do not really know what happened in the class unless the reporter is diligent enough to go and interview more students from this class, then we will have a better idea.

We do not do it at CNY anymore as a family tradition because my PIL are modern-thinking people as they always claim. They might feel insulted if we were to do it as it would make them not-so-modern people. :lol:

Postby schweppes » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:32 pm

ksi wrote:My take is do it if you feel comfortable with it and because you want to do it like schweppes. It should invoke a nice feeling in you, not a negative one.

In the case in that school, if it is just the teacher's whims and fancy and if the children are not willing, it would not be right to force them. In any case, it would be an insincere greeting from them, so how could the teacher feel good about it, I wonder? :shrug: If the teacher is doing it by asking them to do it as a demo and a teaching point of traditional cultures, then it is a different thing as it is a demo. So we do not really know what happened in the class unless the reporter is diligent enough to go and interview more students from this class, then we will have a better idea.

We do not do it at CNY anymore as a family tradition because my PIL are modern-thinking people as they always claim. They might feel insulted if we were to do it as it would make them not-so-modern people. :lol:

Thanks ksi. My post was in response to vks2010 thread title and not in response to the article. Was just sharing my own experience.

My parents are pretty modern too, so they wd not expect us to do it. But really to each his or her own family. No right or wrong. Doesn't mean that if don't kneel means not respectful.

Like I mentioned earlier, maybe make my mommy so angry with me the previous year, that's why must seek her forgiveness :oops: :oops: :wink:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:52 pm

schweppes wrote:
ksi wrote:My take is do it if you feel comfortable with it and because you want to do it like schweppes. It should invoke a nice feeling in you, not a negative one.

Thanks ksi. My post was in response to vks2010 thread title and not in response to the article. Was just sharing my own experience.

My parents are pretty modern too, so they wd not expect us to do it. But really to each his or her own family. No right or wrong. Doesn't mean that if don't kneel means not respectful.

Like I mentioned earlier, maybe make my mommy so angry with me the previous year, that's why must seek her forgiveness :oops: :oops: :wink:

schweppes, you are really funny.... :rotflmao:
I am sure your parents are modern and you know it as a fact and with parents, we can be ourselves absolutely freely, totally agree with you no right or wrong. With PILs whom we do not grow up with, the situation is "dxxx" if we do, "dxxx" if we don't(GWIM?), so gotta be more careful.....if they keep claiming they are modern, better "listen" carefully... :lol:

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:33 pm

so the tradition is not dead, and my family not the only one so 'old fashioned' huh ......
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:38 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:so the tradition is not dead, and my family not the only one so 'old fashioned' huh ......

*gasp*

vks2010 :yikes: u mean u also make your mommy angry the previous year, every year, har??!! :duck: :siam: :evil: :evil:

:wink:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:42 pm

schweppes wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:so the tradition is not dead, and my family not the only one so 'old fashioned' huh ......

*gasp*

vks2010 :yikes: u mean u also make your mommy angry the previous year, every year, har??!! :duck: :siam: :evil: :evil:

ya lor, because of you lor ..... :rotflmao: :siam:
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:46 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:
schweppes wrote:

*gasp*

ya lor, because of you lor ..... :rotflmao: :siam:

OI!! :?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time