MOE should give P1 registration priority to SG kids?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Re: MOE Relooking P1 registration - Too much priority to alu

Postby nhps2012 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:23 am

All in all, places should be allotted to Singaporeans first before they are allotted to foreigners. Many a times, our own citizens are being deprived of a place.

Priority should be given according to distance from home so that the children do not need to travel far. This is a bit tricky situation as it might favour the rich.

Also, priority to grassroots should be removed. I don't see any link between grassroots and the school.

IMHO.

nhps2012
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby 3Boys » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:25 am

nhps2012 wrote:All in all, places should be allotted to Singaporeans first before they are allotted to foreigners. Many a times, our own citizens are being deprived of a place.

Priority should be given according to distance from home so that the children do not need to travel far. This is a bit tricky situation as it might favour the rich.

IMHO.

So all the top schools will have no foreigners and the less popular ones will get the benefit of cross-cultural experience then, and some of the very best and brightest from overseas.

What would we want to do that?

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:29 am

Each time the Qifas and Rulangs top the brand name schools at PSLE, especially if its a foreign student who had been shunted there by protectionist policies, I do a little dance in my heart.

Have a bit of an open mind, people.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: 2012 P1 Registration Exercise for 2013 In-Take

Postby laughingcat » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:39 am

My friend told me that just last 6 mths, she saw new neighbours in her block and they are all PR (PRC). Not 1 but 4 PR families. They bought the place nearer to the school coz they are registering their children to the school where she is also registering for her child as well. Sorry for my singaporean rant.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby larkspur » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:52 am

i feel they should first segrate Singaporean and PR first and we will see what is the proportion that PR has compared to Singaporean o the registratnion. If the proportion of PR is the one impacting the registration process for Singaporean,there is no need to revamp the system except that maybe for phrase 2c, only PR can go register at this phrase. Any phrase before that is for Singaporean only

larkspur
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: 2012 P1 Registration Exercise for 2013 In-Take

Postby dyic22 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:56 am

Seems like the PRC is getting richer and richer and sad to said
It is not fair for us to be along side with them the 'PR' in registering for pri.1.
It is time for the change.

dyic22
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby magiccastle » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:25 pm

In whichever phrases,

Singaporeans ,(those born in singapore) should be given priority first, then those 'converted ' Singaporeans , followed by PRs n then foreigners.
The current practice of giving singaporean 2 chances n PR 1 chance at 2b n 2C balloting is not ideal. It depends on luck . If the PR is lucky , his child will still get in. Don't see any priority given to the true blue Singapoeans.
:nunchuk:

I have seen many PR children got in to the schools in view of proximity to the schools within 1 km and yet Singaporeans got no chance to even ballot just because they are out of the 1 km ( 1-2 km)!

PV system definitely need to be reviewed as it is unfair for parents who worked so hard yet can't secure a place.

I was in the taxi the other day.The Taxi driver jokingly told me foreigners go NTU , NUS n SMU . Singaporeans go SIM n foreign Universities if parents can afford. :heresmyfish:
True enough, 3 of my niece n nephews went to Australia to study bec couldnt get in or can't get the choice of course in the local U.
:cry:

magiccastle
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Tokidoki » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:42 pm

magiccastle wrote:In whichever phrases,

Singaporeans ,(those born in singapore) should be given priority first, then those 'converted ' Singaporeans , followed by PRs n then foreigners.
The current practice of giving singaporean 2 chances n PR 1 chance at 2b n 2C balloting is not ideal. It depends on luck . If the PR is lucky , his child will still get in. Don't see any priority given to the true blue Singapoeans.

I have seen many PR children got in to the schools in view of proximity to the schools within 1 km and yet Singaporeans got no chance to even ballot just because they are out of the 1 km ( 1-2 km)!

PV system definitely need to be reviewed as it is unfair for parents who worked so hard yet can't secure a place.

I was in the taxi the other day.The Taxi driver jokingly told me foreigners go NTU , NUS n SMU . Singaporeans go SIM n foreign Universities if parents can afford. :heresmyfish:
True enough, 3 of my niece n nephews went to Australia to study bec couldnt get in or can't get the choice of course in the local U.

yes, 'converted' singaporean should be differentiated too. i have a colleague who converted to SG citizen, but she's totally clueless abt been SG citizen. all she want is to enjoy the subsidies in education (baby bonus, lower cc fees etc).
Last edited by Tokidoki on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tokidoki
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby toddles » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Tokidoki wrote:

yes, 'converted' singaporean should be differentiated too. i have a colleague who converted to SG citizen, but she's totally clueless abt been SG citizen. all she want is to enjoy the subsidies in education (baby bonus, lower cc fees etc).

Which country did she convert from?

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nhps2012 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:57 pm

Tokidoki wrote:

Then maybe we can breakown Singaporeans into another category called "Generations". e.g. 1 Generation (parents), 2 Generation (grand), 3 Generation (great-grand), the higher the better!!!

nhps2012
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time