DBS hit by ATM fraud again

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

DBS hit by ATM fraud again

Postby raysusan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:32 am

DBS Bank said that it had $23,000 stolen from 17 customers' bank accounts last Sunday as fraudsters used Singapore ATM machines to make unauthorised withdrawals.


http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNew ... 69923.html

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1417
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:13 pm
Total Likes: 6


Re: DBS hit by ATM fraud again

Postby BlueBells » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:16 am

It's residual effect from the same scam that happened previously. No?

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:00 pm
Total Likes: 18


Re: DBS hit by ATM fraud again

Postby MrsSeah » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:34 am

Haiz... again...........

mmmm... will people lost confident in DBS? :roll:

Will you? I still put my money in DBS. Maybe I don't have alot so not worry. :boogie:

MrsSeah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:39 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: DBS hit by ATM fraud again

Postby Oppsgal » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:37 am

MrsSeah wrote:Haiz... again...........

mmmm... will people lost confident in DBS? :roll:

Will you? I still put my money in DBS. Maybe I don't have alot so not worry. :boogie:


No worry as long not much money inside.

However, I feel that somebody should be responsible on the repeated fraud incident. Lack of security or what? Some more is repeated one.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 4:24 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: DBS hit by ATM fraud again

Postby LKVM » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:41 am

Again???? :faint:

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 14884
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:12 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: DBS hit by ATM fraud again

Postby hquek » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:48 am

Oppsgal wrote:However, I feel that somebody should be responsible on the repeated fraud incident. Lack of security or what? Some more is repeated one.


Yes, those pp who use their atm card should be held responsible (based on the little I know). The banks say and say a lot on how pp should ensure privacy when withdrawing but I see pp withdraw money without a care in the world. When their cards get compromised, then how?

I can't say I won't ever fall prey, but now when i withdraw money, I will make it a point to cover the keypad, and also look at the card slot to make sure it doesn't look dodgy. When I make payments online, I do get worried and will ensure that I monitor my transactions frequently.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 6535
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:07 am
Total Likes: 70


Re: DBS hit by ATM fraud again

Postby Oppsgal » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:52 am

hquek wrote:
Oppsgal wrote:However, I feel that somebody should be responsible on the repeated fraud incident. Lack of security or what? Some more is repeated one.


Yes, those pp who use their atm card should be held responsible (based on the little I know). The banks say and say a lot on how pp should ensure privacy when withdrawing but I see pp withdraw money without a care in the world. When their cards get compromised, then how?

I can't say I won't ever fall prey, but now when i withdraw money, I will make it a point to cover the keypad, and also look at the card slot to make sure it doesn't look dodgy. When I make payments online, I do get worried and will ensure that I monitor my transactions frequently.


So why only one bank keep affected by this fraud? The rest of the banks no such incident? Does covering keypad help much?

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 4:24 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: DBS hit by ATM fraud again

Postby nhps2012 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:21 am

MrsSeah wrote:Haiz... again...........

mmmm... will people lost confident in DBS? :roll:

Will you? I still put my money in DBS. Maybe I don't have alot so not worry. :boogie:


Aready lost confidence long ago! Very soon, will be POSB as well because they are managed by the same group of people. Gone were the days. I am so proud of our POSB staff! Thank you for being there! :smile:

nhps2012
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:31 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: DBS hit by ATM fraud again

Postby pinky » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:25 am

it was reported that the crooks actually withdrew the money here and not in Malaysia (as for the previous cases)

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:03 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: DBS hit by ATM fraud again

Postby zmonster1969 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:46 am

Mebbe they could do away with the magentic strip and the proposed electronic chip and go straight to biometrics ATMs.

These ATMs use the Finger Vein Scanning Technology by Hitachi and has been successfully implemented in Japan, Poland and Turkey.

zmonster1969
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:00 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Recess Time