Do you think there is still a future for our kids...

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Do you think there is still a future for our kids...

Postby kamom » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:53 pm

...here in SG?

What are your views?

kamom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Do you think there is still a future for our kids...

Postby 365psych » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:59 pm

Unless the kids can attain professional degrees, become adaptable, show passion and be able to constantly evolve in their field, they will have a regular future in Singapore. Many will become teachers, salesman, food-stall operators, admin workers, taxi drivers, waiters, ushers and security guards.

The competition from foreigners is great. In fact great is an understatement. The foreigners are willing to work harder for less money, and that marginalizes Singaporeans, particularly those that aspire the 5C's.

Just my opinion, it may not be a fact.

365psych
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tutormum » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:09 am

DS3 doesn't think that he has a future here. :sad: He has been harping on it for the past year. Something about Singapore been saturated, low pay, high competition from FTs etc. He has been checking around (on the internet) on what he can earn here compared to other countries esp those big ponds and talking about emigrating to US or Australia. If a 14 year old think this way, what else can I say? :slapshead:

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:36 am

i cant tell because my kids' needs, wants and definition of life/future might be different from mine.

i have been telling my kids to go see the world after they graduate (unfortunately as it is now, dead or alive, a degree is really the minimum requirement - dont flame me hor).

they can do join charity organisations to help out anywhere in the world and even be waitress whatsoever to have a taste of life. i believe in kicking them out of spore because we are here and kids are simply too comfortable here. even if they help out in charity organisation here or serving food in restaurants here, they might still only see 40% of reality.

the cip hours dd is doing now is one good example why i want to kick her out to see the world and reality. only after her stinct then she can decide for herself if she has a future here.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby winchester » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:06 am

depends on what future means lor. if mean there is a chance to be cash and asset rich, yes. down here very competitive, our kids would grow up tough and sharp if they make it. there are opportunities.

but if talking about future as in standard of living in terms of lifestyle choices, down here very limited for our kids. the only option for them is being corporate and cut-throat. if they want a more varied life as life is more than about money, then singapore little future for them.

winchester
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby huanghou » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:40 am

One word - TOUGH

huanghou
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby HVR » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:33 am

Why no future? Why so pessimistic? Are we having problem creating jobs for our future generations? The impression is that many foreigners are here and have taken away our jobs but reality is that these jobs are not wanted by singaporeans. For examples, cleaners, sale assistants, restaurant helpers, constuction workers, bus drivers, etc. At the same time, I know of some singaporeans who shun these jobs because they think the pay is not high. So, it's about expectation but can we expect every job pays the same?

Look at the causeway every morning. There are at least 20,000 m'sians making daily trip to work here, can't singaporeans fill up these vacancies? No, we all want higher pay job and there again, where to find a country that the pays are the same for all the jobs? We have to keep our expectation in check because there is no way the employers are willing to give high pay for certain jobs.

The real concern is how to get singaporeans to fill up these jobs. Not possible that everyone is tau kay. We have to accept that there will be wage gap and another concern is that the wage gap shouldn't be too wide. Our Geni co-efficient rate tells us that we are not doing too well in this aspect and I hope the govt is working hard on this.

HVR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby larkspur » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:44 am

HVR wrote:Why no future? Why so pessimistic? Are we having problem creating jobs for our future generations? The impression is that many foreigners are here and have taken away our jobs but reality is that these jobs are not wanted by singaporeans. For examples, cleaners, sale assistants, restaurant helpers, constuction workers, bus drivers, etc. At the same time, I know of some singaporeans who shun these jobs because they think the pay is not high. So, it's about expectation but can we expect every job pays the same?

Look at the causeway every morning. There are at least 20,000 m'sians making daily trip to work here, can't singaporeans fill up these vacancies? No, we all want higher pay job and there again, where to find a country that the pays are the same for all the jobs? We have to keep our expectation in check because there is no way the employers are willing to give high pay for certain jobs.

The real concern is how to get singaporeans to fill up these jobs. Not possible that everyone is tau kay. We have to accept that there will be wage gap and another concern is that the wage gap shouldn't be too wide. Our co- efficient rate tells us that we are not doing too well in this aspect and I hope the govt is working hard on this.

about singapore shunning the jobs, my fren who is working in this ministry (where you will go and look for them when employers dun pay your salary) says "dun believe in what the newspaper says about foreigners filling up low pay jobs such as cleaners, sales assistant, these low pay jobs are small percentage compared to high end job, like comparing peanuts to pomelo"

larkspur
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:51 am

HVR wrote:Why no future? Why so pessimistic? Are we having problem creating jobs for our future generations? The impression is that many foreigners are here and have taken away our jobs but reality is that these jobs are not wanted by singaporeans. For examples, cleaners, sale assistants, restaurant helpers, constuction workers, bus drivers, etc. At the same time, I know of some singaporeans who shun these jobs because they think the pay is not high. So, it's about expectation but can we expect every job pays the same?

The real concern is how to get singaporeans to fill up these jobs. Not possible that everyone is tau kay. We have to accept that there will be wage gap and another concern is that the wage gap shouldn't be too wide. Our Geni co-efficient rate tells us that we are not doing too well in this aspect and I hope the govt is working hard on this.

My friend is mid-level banker. All her bosses (barring 1 or 2) are foreigners. Those are not low paying jobs. How many of the major banks in Singapore have local CEOs?

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:17 pm

Chenonceau wrote:My friend is mid-level banker. All her bosses (barring 1 or 2) are foreigners. Those are not low paying jobs. How many of the major banks in Singapore have local CEOs?

maybe we have only ourselves to blame for not being good enough? :?

tankee
Site Admin

Next

Return to Recess Time