Praying at temple to get rid of dirty things

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Praying at temple to get rid of dirty things

Postby sean wife » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:35 am

Does anyone have any experience bringing a child to the temple to pray to 'get rid of some dirty things'? Can share how to go about doing that and if any improvement after that? Our girl's behaviour is really wearing the whole family down..
Many thanks....

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Praying at temple to get rid of dirty things

Postby auntieM » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:14 pm

Perhaps you can share more details about your gal's behavior?
The common 'cleansing' method for some is getting a small packet of loose flowers and pray with it in the temple, then bring home and bathe with them...I see it more for pacifying repeated nightmares or when a kid gets 'frightened'..

Juz me 0.02...

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sean wife » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi,

Thanks for replying…my 4.5 yr old gal has been having bad mood swings and super whiny, demanding and stubborn recently…athough all along she hasn’t exactly been an angel, but we feel that it has worsen in the past few weeks, to the extent of causing conflicts and stress among the various caregivers (parents, maid, in-laws etc) on how to manage this behavior….

We have been trying to attribute it to her recent bout of illness (cough, flu etc) but really seems to be getting out of hand….always cry and whine when she wakes up from her nap and sleep, and refuse for us to nebilize or puff her when she coughs….just like last night during her sleep, she started coughing badly and we wanted to puff her, she almost scream the whole house down and wake up her twin sister who started crying badly too…really stressful for everyone. Difficult to get her to change and get ready to school in the morning also…basically every minute is like you don’t know when the next moment of explosion is going to be….

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Ivy Ang Siow Kia » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:30 pm

sean wife wrote:Does anyone have any experience bringing a child to the temple to pray to 'get rid of some dirty things'? Can share how to go about doing that and if any improvement after that? Our girl's behaviour is really wearing the whole family down..
Many thanks....

O, how old is your girl? To share, I've had the experience too...when my DS was 1 year old plus till about 3 yrs, he would wake up in the night and kept crying. We tried all sorts of way to pacify him, but in the end what helps was we sent him to see a medium at the temple. It rest our mind that there is nothing wrong with our house, and just that he might have experience some problems which makes him frustrated during his daytime in the Childcare centre. It is really exhuasting for the adults, we worried a lot. To put our mind at ease, going to the temple might help.

Ivy Ang Siow Kia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Mdm Koh » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:08 pm

Prayers may calm the child down, but you may also want to check with the doctor if there's any way to speed up her recovery from the illness. I don't think there's a supernatural reason for kids acting up. Kids tend to express their frustration by throwing tantrums, as they have difficulty verbalising. Since your DD has been coughing for some time, she must feeling quite irritated. It's natural for her to be more short-tempered.

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Funz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:27 pm

:hugs:

Sounds familiar. I went through a period of such behaviour with DD when she was about 4yrs old. Well she was a difficult kid to start with but there was a period when she was ultra difficult. Waking up 2hrly at night, screaming and crying, totally disagreeable, clingy and whiny and her emotions were all over the place. Playing and laughing on moment, crying and screaming the next.

A relative went to the temple and consulted them. I don't know the whole process or which temple she went. The verdict was there was a clash in horoscope or something to that extent. The relative waved some papers around, said some stuff, burned the papers and told me to bath DD with the flowers she brought back. Umm... nothing happened. DD continued with that behaviour for about another 6mths or so I think. Just that we adjusted and suddenly we realised the night time waking and screaming and the difficult behaviour seem to be more manageable and one fine day, it became a thing of the past.

If your DD has been sick and on medication, that could cause irritability. Meds like salbutamol turn my angels into monsters. Disturbed sleep at night will again result in cranky disagreeable kids.

In any case, adults gotta load up on vitamin P during this period. Hope your DD gets better soon. :hugs: again.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sean wife » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:46 pm

Thanks for all the advice..

Funz, I can totally relate to what you have described in your first paragraph…really dread hearing the whiny voice the minute she wakes up, like regressing to the baby stage. Super clingy to my maid, and can demand for one thing this minute but start to cry, whine and roll on the floor a split moment later….I thought as they get older, they should become more ‘dong shi’, why does it seems like there is a regression of behavior instead?? Totally disagreeable (yes, that’s the word that can describe the situation perfectly) with no reason at all. BTW how old is your DD now? Does she become more manageable as she grows up? I have this nagging nightmare that she will grow up to be an anguish, rebellious and out-of-control kid….

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby auntieM » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:53 pm

Mdm Koh wrote:Prayers may calm the child down, but you may also want to check with the doctor if there's any way to speed up her recovery from the illness. I don't think there's a supernatural reason for kids acting up. Kids tend to express their frustration by throwing tantrums, as they have difficulty verbalising. Since your DD has been coughing for some time, she must feeling quite irritated. It's natural for her to be more short-tempered.

I agree with Mdm Koh, your description doesn't sound like 'dirty' stuff de...

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby LOLMum » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:55 pm

should you decide to bring her to the temple, please do not leave her alone with the medium.

there are cases of medium molesting the unsuspecting victims.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Ivy Ang Siow Kia » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:00 pm

LOLMum wrote:should you decide to bring her to the temple, please do not leave her alone with the medium.

there are cases of medium molesting the unsuspecting victims.

Totally agree. We have to be cautious when it comes to superstitious stuffs :xedfingers:

Ivy Ang Siow Kia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time