Vikram to CSM: Show me the money to invest in Singapore

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Vikram to CSM: Show me the money to invest in Singapore

Postby raysusan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:33 am

http://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2012/ ... gaporeans/

Workers Party MP Chen Show Mao (Aljunied GRC) came under heavy fire from PAP MP Vikram Nair (Nee Soon GRC) during a parliamentary debate yesterday as the latter asked him repeatedly to show him the money to pay for the extra expenditure proposed in his Budget Speech.

Mr Chen had earlier called on the government to invest more in Singaporeans:

“To invest in Singaporeans is to invest in the future of Singapore. It has been said so many times and for so long that the only resource Singapore has is ourselves, that our most important capital is our human capital. Inclusive growth must be built on the growth of our human capital.”

However, Mr Vikram Nair accused Mr Chen and other WP MPs of scoring ‘political points’ by repeatedly asking the government to do more for vulnerable groups without acknowledging what had already been done, criticising him for not having a plan to pay for the extra spending he proposed.

“The one question I have is: what does Workers’ Party intend to do on the revenue side? Is it planning to raise taxes or eat into reserves to pay for all these additional programmes? Because I think the objectives are noble. I am just wondering how you balance it out…,” Mr Vikram Nair said.

He also insinuated that Mr Chen might not understand the reality on the ground as he just returned to Singapore. Mr Chen worked overseas for a number of years before returning to Singapore to contest in the general election last year.

”Let’s do more, let’s spend more,’ (they say), and, of course, they never talk of where this money is going to come from…I think many of us here have been working year in, year out, helping the vulnerable groups, and it is pretty hurtful coming from Mr Chen because he might have held this belief for a long time, but he came back only quite recently to help in this,” he added.

In response, Mr Chen said he is proposing that Singapore run a ‘deficit’ to fund additional social spending, but to “look at the numbers both on the revenue side and how much we hope to make in terms of investments to come to a solution.”

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Vikram to CSM: Show me the money to invest in Singapore

Postby 1amber » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:38 pm

3 simple ways to channel revenue to Singaporeans (no need to raise taxes or eat into reserves), Mr Vikram.
1. Reduce sponsorship of foreign scholars;
2. Dun anyhow suka suka build then tear down airport terminals;
3. Dun si sua take out tax payers' money to fund public listed companies' running cost.

1amber
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby raysusan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:54 pm

1amber wrote:3 simple ways to channel revenue to Singaporeans (no need to raise taxes or eat into reserves), Mr Vikram.
3. Dun si sua take out tax payers' money to fund public listed companies' running cost.

lol i like that :celebrate:

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Daddy D » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:58 pm

"Singapore one step closer to satellite-based ERP
The trial will cost some $12.2 million, according to budget estimates from the Transport Ministry."

And this project... :moneyflies: :moneyflies: :moneyflies:

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:02 pm

1amber wrote:3 simple ways to channel revenue to Singaporeans (no need to raise taxes or eat into reserves), Mr Vikram.

:goodpost:

can someone email this to tikam tikam ? i am not defending CSM, but i like this post so much ...

add some more : don't demolish Rochor and rebuild, don't build new road though bukit brown and the close half the lanes in Lornie road ..... wasting money

or they are out to create jobs in recession ?
Last edited by verykiasu2010 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 1amber » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Daddy D wrote:"Singapore one step closer to satellite-based ERP
The trial will cost some $12.2 million, according to budget estimates from the Transport Ministry."

baey ta han! :mad: better go and reflect

1amber
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:05 pm

1amber wrote:
Daddy D wrote:"Singapore one step closer to satellite-based ERP

baey ta han! :mad: better go and reflect

:rotflmao:
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 1amber » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:18 pm

no wonder wp cannot beat their major opponent all these years. They should change their name from WP (Why Pay?) to DWM (Democratic Workers Movement) which really stands for "Don't Waste Money"

LTK are u listening?

1amber
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby kiddo » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:08 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:

:goodpost:
can someone email this to tikam tikam ? i am not defending CSM, but i like this post so much ...
add some more : don't demolish Rochor and rebuild, don't build new road though bukit brown and the close half the lanes in Lornie road ..... wasting money
or they are out to create jobs in recession ?

Spot on Gal/Guy good one :kiss: :celebrate: :celebrate:

kiddo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:14 pm

:goodpost: hear hear

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time