Wasting money

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Wasting money

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:02 pm

Changi Airport's Budget Terminal will close in September to make way for a new and bigger facility, The Straits Times has found out.

Tiger Airways, Cebu Pacific, Firefly, Southeast Asian Airlines and Berjaya Air, now housed there, will move to the main terminals while a new budget facility is built.

The change is being made to cater to a faster-than-expected growth in the low-cost travel market. Between 2005 and last year, the market share of low-cost carriers at Changi Airport jumped from 5.6 per cent of total passenger traffic to 25.6 per cent.

As running costs in Terminal 2, such as rentals for office and counter space, are higher, it is believed the airport is in talks with the affected carriers to iron out this and other issue

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNew ... 72339.html
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Wasting money

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:08 pm

the person who made the decision previously to go for the low-cost low-amenity low-standard user-unfriendly shed-in-the-wild terminal ought to be held responsible for wasting money to have to tear it down and could not be further-build upon

such waste of money, besides throwing S$1.1 billion to the monopolies of buses......

it is further proof that they don't deserve the high pay .... all these are under the same ministry ..... now going to build more roads and flyovers .....
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 1amber » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:14 pm

It is well known fact that these highly paid people live in ivory towers and are out of touch - they don't know what stewardship is.

1amber
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby KSP » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:16 pm

Not sure are they competing with the new Low Cost Carrier Terminal in KLIA opening in October this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuala_Lump ... .28LCCT.29

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Daddy D » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:40 pm

The newer and bigger terminal will be named T4... well done...
:slapshead:

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KSP » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:42 pm

Daddy D wrote:The newer and bigger terminal will be named T4... well done...
:slapshead:

oh really?? so the new T4 will be next to T2....

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:18 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:it is further proof that they don't deserve the high pay .... all these are under the same ministry ..... now going to build more roads and flyovers .....

well.. they're creating jobs isn't it..

but the million dollar question is...... for who?

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HVR » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:41 pm

This is to cater to future needs. It happens to everyone. Say, I started out with 3-room flat thinking that I am only going to have a baby but somehow, my circumstances change, I am doing well in my career, I am still young and I decided to have more babies and the 3-room flat no longer able to serve my needs and I upgraded to a 5-room flat, bo salah right? I've seen so many house owners tearing down their houses and rebuild it completely too. We don't say they are wasting money? But consider BT was completed only in 2006 I can understand the feeling of wasting money. I have to concede I felt the same way too initially but if the circumstances warrant the rebuilding, I guess we simply have to do it. The short life span of BT serves to tell us how fast the low cost/budget flying industry has expanded and I think if we want a share, we have no choice but to get ready a new terminal to cater to the grow.

HVR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MMM » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:53 pm

HVR wrote:This is to cater to future needs. It happens to everyone. Say, I started out with 3-room flat thinking that I am only going to have a baby but somehow, my circumstances change, I am doing well in my career, I am still young and I decided to have more babies and the 3-room flat no longer able to serve my needs and I upgraded to a 5-room flat, bo salah right? I've seen so many house owners tearing down their houses and rebuild it completely too. We don't say they are wasting money? But consider BT was completed only in 2006 I can understand the feeling of wasting money. I have to concede I felt the same way too initially but if the circumstances warrant the rebuilding, I guess we simply have to do it. The short life span of BT serves to tell us how fast the low cost/budget flying industry has expanded and I think if we want a share, we have no choice but to get ready a new terminal to cater to the grow.

I don't really buy the argument. Housing upgrade don't involve tearing down houses. You sell old house and just move to a new place. If you bought the old house at the right time, you probably made some $. No wastage. Also, we are not going to sell the BT and build a new T4 elsewhere.

For home owners who tear down the house to rebuild, it's usually due to expansion reasons (and they probably need to rebuild as there are some guidelines by BCA on A&A or rebuilding) so it's not their choice. But the key thing is, it's their own $. So they are free to do whatever they want. I suppose building a new T4 is using tax payers' monies?

Also, given the nature of such investment, it requires the policy thinker to think really long term. Otherwise why should we have all the top brains there for???? Didn't they anticipate the expansion of budget airline given the development in other regions??? Somehow it is still not acceptable and there need to be accountability otherwise we are wasting resources that can be put to use elsewhere.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby HVR » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:06 pm

MMM wrote:
HVR wrote:This is to cater to future needs. It happens to everyone. Say, I started out with 3-room flat thinking that I am only going to have a baby but somehow, my circumstances change, I am doing well in my career, I am still young and I decided to have more babies and the 3-room flat no longer able to serve my needs and I upgraded to a 5-room flat, bo salah right? I've seen so many house owners tearing down their houses and rebuild it completely too. We don't say they are wasting money? But consider BT was completed only in 2006 I can understand the feeling of wasting money. I have to concede I felt the same way too initially but if the circumstances warrant the rebuilding, I guess we simply have to do it. The short life span of BT serves to tell us how fast the low cost/budget flying industry has expanded and I think if we want a share, we have no choice but to get ready a new terminal to cater to the grow.

I don't really buy the argument. Housing upgrade don't involve tearing down houses. You sell old house and just move to a new place. If you bought the old house at the right time, you probably made some $. No wastage. Also, we are not going to sell the BT and build a new T4 elsewhere.

For home owners who tear down the house to rebuild, it's usually due to expansion reasons (and they probably need to rebuild as there are some guidelines by BCA on A&A or rebuilding) so it's not their choice. But the key thing is, it's their own $. So they are free to do whatever they want. I suppose building a new T4 is using tax payers' monies?

Also, given the nature of such investment, it requires the policy thinker to think really long term. Otherwise why should we have all the top brains there for???? Didn't they anticipate the expansion of budget airline given the development in other regions??? Somehow it is still not acceptable and there need to be accountability otherwise we are wasting resources that can be put to use elsewhere.

It's ok. Sure it is not the same but I was just trying to make a point, i.e., circumstances change and we have to react. My only gripe is BT is only 5 o 6 years old and in that sense, it is definitely money not well spent. Having said that, if we react now and cut the losses and recoup the losses by having a better terminal 2 years down the road, then all is not lost and I can accept it. As for foresight, we can try to do our best but we can never always spot on. What matter is we must always prepare to act and when we know we have to act, we act.

HVR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Recess Time