S’pore needs to attract new immigrants: DPM Teo

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

S’pore needs to attract new immigrants: DPM Teo

Postby raysusan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:19 pm

Identifying the year ahead as a "demographic tipping point" for Singapore, Deputy Prime Minister (DPM) Teo Chee Hean emphasised the need for the country to continue attracting new immigrants.

According to Channel NewsAsia (CNA), Teo said this is because the first cohort of post-war baby boomers — those born between 1947 and 1965 —will start turning 65 from this year.
Singapore will experience an "unprecedented age shift, as over 900,000 baby boomers, more than a quarter of the current citizen population, retire from the workforce and enter their silver years" from now till 2030, Teo explained, as reported by CNA.
Who implemented the 2 baby per couple??

Speaking in Parliament during the Committee of Supply Debate, the Minister of Home Affairs also said that without immigration, more than 1 in 4 citizens will be 65 years old and older in 2030 given the current birth rates.
According to CNA, the median age of Singapore citizens will rise to from 39 today to 47, then to 53 post-2030.
This means that there will be fewer working adults supporting the older citizens.
"Without immigration, we will face a shrinking workforce and the prospect of a shrinking economy," said Teo. "This challenging situation is compounded by the need to support a significantly larger elderly population at the same time."
What is most important now is to "develop a sustainable population strategy that will maintain the vitality of Singapore, strengthen our harmonious multi-ethnic society, and enable Singaporeans to achieve their life aspirations", added the DPM. --> NO WAY!
When asked by Intan Azura Mokhtar, MP for Ang Mo Kio, if the ministry grants permanent residence (PR) more easily to the foreign spouses of Singaporeans, Teo said that it is not a given.
Various factors are taken into consideration when the application for PR for the non-citizen spouse is assessed, including the duration of marriage, his or her length of stay in Singapore and whether the married couple has children who are Singapore citizens.
Citizens who sponsor their foreign spouses for PR status will also have to show that they are able to support them financially, Teo added.
Those who do not qualify for PR status may be granted a Long Term Visit Pass, which allows them to seek employment here.
The ministry is currently studying how to further help Singaporean families with foreign spouses, especially those with children who are citizens, Teo added.

Source: http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...103531625.html

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: S’pore needs to attract new immigrants: DPM Teo

Postby Ichigokun » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:48 pm

Are you kidding me!? Foreigners now take up a huge space of 40% in Singapore! If this goes on, Singaporean citizens will be labelled as an "endangered species of humans" and almost everyone in Singapore is a PR

Ichigokun
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby alng » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:33 pm

Seriously, I do not know whether to trust the government's rationale for their policy anymore. When they started "two is enough" policy, didn't they come up with a convincing rationale that everyone was bought in? It was not too difficult to calculate the population rate 40 years down the road then.

Now the government said we need immigrants....with better technology now, have the government calculated the short and long term effects on this policy?

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby WeiHan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:17 am

alng,

I agree with you. Moreover, people are enjoying longer life and better health. You can't say that 50 years old is old. Japan is the country that chooses to use high tech and robots instead of easy solution like immigration to solve their problem. I trust their wisdom more. Don't just look at number.

WeiHan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vicki » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:57 am

SG very crowded liao leh..... I already got to wait for a few MRT trains before i can squeeze in....

vicki
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby JonC » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:20 am

filling in the blanks after the "subject" sentence,

to justify and fill their pocket with higher pay for Great GDP.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

JonC
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby alng » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:32 am

Actually, we are already seeing the short term effect of the immigration policy. It is very obvious that the government did not foresee the impact of their immigration policy on our infrastructure. That is why we are facing the squeeze now and the government has to fork out $1.1B to beef up the public transportation. Not to mention the MRT and schools and public places. I am just wondering what's next?

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Daddy D » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:29 am

Reminds me of "Planet of the Apes"....
:yikes: :scared:

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Daddy D » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:46 am

Watching AM Live.... Talking abt which are some of cities that are attracted to expats... Hosted by 2 expats newscasters... How ironic....
Where's all the local newscasters?
:gloomy:

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby alng » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:57 am

WeiHan wrote:alng,

I agree with you. Moreover, people are enjoying longer life and better health. You can't say that 50 years old is old. Japan is the country that chooses to use high tech and robots instead of easy solution like immigration to solve their problem. I trust their wisdom more. Don't just look at number.

This reminds me of another effect of the immigration policy. With the influx of people, SMEs are having a pool of lower cost labour. This discourages them from looking at their productivity and automation. And looks at what the government is trying to do now...encouraging the SMEs to automate and improve productivity and be less reliance on foreign workers!

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time