Residents propose alternative sites for elderly studios

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Residents propose alternative sites for elderly studios

Postby Daddy D » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:14 am

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNew ... 73844.html

"A group of residents in Toh Yi estate, who had petitioned against a chosen site for a block of studio apartments for the elderly, have come up with an alternative location.

But their proposal has irked some 50 residents living near the newly suggested site, who have started another petition to move the apartments elsewhere.....

Said 70-year-old Mr Chio, who declined to give his full name: 'If you oppose and I oppose, then how will things get done?'"

The last quote sums it all... Welcome to Singapore :slapshead: :stupid: :faint:

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Residents propose alternative sites for elderly studios

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:02 am

Is that the carpark just before the community club?

Anyway, I donch live in Toh Yi so I'm not a stakeholder...but it's an unusual place to build studio flats for the aged.

I thought it will make more sense to plan it together with newer towns where you can also integrate other suitable amenities during the planning stage.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby meowal » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:47 pm

I live in Toh Yi Drive and the original proposed site location will be right at my door step. Yes, it is a very strange place to build the lot of elderly studios. From the main roads where the amenities are to the site, is a slope that even I don't want to climb. That patch of green has undergone non-stop constructions..

Back in 2002, the build the basket ball court without informing the residents. Think was 2009 or 2010, it underwent a face lift and the running path was put in around the basket ball court. It started to look more like a garden too. It was hell for us thot cos we had to endure the construction. Last year, they put in a small garden. many of the residents go there for gardening and it benefited the PCF kindy at blk 12 also. And now less than a yr later, all this will go and make way for the studios.

My question is.. building the amenities, upgrading it etc.. dun need $$? So if it has been marked for redevelopment, then why put the residents thru all the construction noise, spend all the $ and we don't get to use it for very long at all??

There are other patches of land around here that are much more suitable for the elderly studios but we were told they have been marked for sale.. so its profit over residents. The car park, to me, is also not a good site.. better than the original, but still not good enough.

I am so not looking forward to the construction work AGAIN at my door step.

meowal
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Daddy D » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:07 pm

Who's fault? Town Council?
Fail to plan... Or plan to fail. :faint:

I believe next time any area that is "void" and not generating revenue, will be converted to some facilities that can generate revenue (in terms of rental)

:gloomy:

No need to guess, I think we also know what's the conclusion for Toh Yi...

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby raynreg » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:14 pm

Fail to "communicate" or "co-ordinate". Don't these agencies discuss their plans collectively?

Central singapore now in the midst of upgrading sheltered linkway. Last done was 10+ years ago. Work started late 2011. Then early 2012, announce en-bloc. I ask Town Council, they say contract tendered and awarded before HDB made subsequent announcement. Worst en-bloc timeline is 5 years. I cannot imagine when the upgrading is done, next thing is to tear them down.

raynreg
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Daddy D » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:36 pm

raynreg wrote:Fail to "communicate" or "co-ordinate". Don't these agencies discuss their plans collectively?

Central singapore now in the midst of upgrading sheltered linkway. Last done was 10+ years ago. Work started late 2011. Then early 2012, announce en-bloc. I ask Town Council, they say contract tendered and awarded before HDB made subsequent announcement. Worst en-bloc timeline is 5 years. I cannot imagine when the upgrading is done, next thing is to tear them down.

:moneyflies: :moneyflies: :moneyflies: :moneyflies:

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby meowal » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:45 pm

Our MP did a door to door visit to 'save face'? or act like she care? Too bad I was in the showers when she rang the bell. My husband gave her a piece of his mind and she just nods and smile.

Some of the residents formed a group to sign petition etc.. I signed but in my mind I already know its a waste of time. Someone mentioned that we don't even have covered walkways and have been requesting for it for the last 10 yrs with no success. And now this.. I would love to see how these old folks are going to walk up the 45 degree slope on a heavy raining day without shelter.. OR, walking under the scotching sun up the 45 degree slope every time they want to go to the coffee shop to grab a bite. Groceries will be even worst.. Unless they drive, if not... Bt Timah market, the nearest market is as expensive, if not more expensive than supermarkets. Supermarkets are at least 20 mins away. Good luck!

meowal
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby meowal » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:46 pm

And I wonder... if the take up rate of these studios is very low, then what? are they going to convert it into something else? what?

meowal
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Daddy D » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:59 pm

Someone mentioned "not in my backyard" (NIMB) syndrome....
:itwasntme:

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby raysusan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:00 pm

meowal wrote:Our MP did a door to door visit to 'save face'? or act like she care? Too bad I was in the showers when she rang the bell. My husband gave her a piece of his mind and she just nods and smile.

Some of the residents formed a group to sign petition etc.. I signed but in my mind I already know its a waste of time. Someone mentioned that we don't even have covered walkways and have been requesting for it for the last 10 yrs with no success. And now this.. I would love to see how these old folks are going to walk up the 45 degree slope on a heavy raining day without shelter.. OR, walking under the scotching sun up the 45 degree slope every time they want to go to the coffee shop to grab a bite. Groceries will be even worst.. Unless they drive, if not... Bt Timah market, the nearest market is as expensive, if not more expensive than supermarkets. Supermarkets are at least 20 mins away. Good luck!
your MP is sim ann?[did i spell correctly?]

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time