Parents hire tutors to do kids' school and tuition assignmen

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Parents hire tutors to do kids' school and tuition assignmen

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:15 pm

http://www.edvantage.com.sg/edvantage/n ... ments.html

This is a telling sign of our society going very wrong. Just to share some real incidents relating to this warp culture we are cultivating in our children.

These are true stories that happened between smart kids in an elite school.

Case 1:
Child A forgot the eraser and borrowed from Child B. Child B insisted the condition for borrow was to allow Child A to copy let Child B copy lock stock barrel the work on the worksheet. Is there a thing called friendship or comradeship anymore? :shock:

Child B had no qualms about copied work and where was this learnt?
Worst still, trading stationery to get copied work.

Case 2:
Another incident was Child C had problem with English work and sought help from Child A. Child A tried to help by showing Child C the ropes to get the answers. Child C blasted rudely at Child A, "Why can't you just let me copy your answer?" Child A thought the initial act of showing the ropes was doing Child C a favour to teach Child C how to fish but was totally astounded by the reaction of Child C.

Again, what made Child C think that copying lock stock barrel was ok?

As adults, if we do not condone this as part of character building, would the children have the audacity to insist on copying all the time and copying without processing(Japanese, Koreans, Chinese copy but they do reverse engineering with enhancements) but lock, stock, barrel? Food for thought.

Re: Parents hire tutors to do kids' school and tuition assig

Postby Daddy D » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:32 pm

Oh, this is a follow-up article from yesterday...
TNP really knows how to do biz and increase their readership... Maybe part3 tomorrow?

Back to this... Amazed that this is a common practice among those attending elite tuition centers...
And these "specialized tutors" really very unethical lor...
:stupid: :mad: :slapshead:

Like the last para when the reporter suggested this to her Sec1 kid... :salute:
"But when I told my son, it was his turn to be indignant. He said: "Mummy! Don't you know that's so dishonest? How can you even think of it?""

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:17 pm

ksi wrote:Child B had no qualms about copied work and where was this learnt?

Case 2:

As adults, if we do not condone this as part of character building, would the children have the audacity to insist on copying all the time and copying without processing(Japanese, Koreans, Chinese copy but they do reverse engineering with enhancements) but lock, stock, barrel? Food for thought.

Yes, I am starting to hear more about 'copying' in class. DS was telling me a classmate (A) was spotted referring to his text book to find answers for his worksheet, and was told by another classmate (B) that he should not do it. At first, A insisted, not thinking there was anything wrong. After a few times of being told that it was wrong to do so by peers, he started sulking. Classmate C offered to help. But all C did was to let A copy his answers. There was no objection from classmate B that it was wrong.

I don't know where the kids got the idea that copying from friend was more all right than referring to the textbook for help. Perhaps it is due to getting the students to copy model answers from the very start? Or are there situations that are happening that we don't know about?

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:41 pm

concern2 wrote:

Case 2:

Yes, I am starting to hear more about 'copying' in class. DS was telling me a classmate (A) was spotted referring to his text book to find answers for his worksheet, and was told by another classmate (B) that he should not do it. At first, A insisted, not thinking there was anything wrong. After a few times of being told that it was wrong to do so by peers, he started sulking. Classmate C offered to help. But all C did was to let A copy his answers. There was no objection from classmate B that it was wrong.

I don't know where the kids got the idea that copying from friend was more all right than referring to the textbook for help. Perhaps it is due to getting the students to copy model answers from the very start? Or are there situations that are happening that we don't know about?

Use photocopier or scanner faster. :lol:

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:55 pm

I finally get to read the entire article, and I like the last part especially.

For one, it reminds us never to say 'never'. Perhaps our time just hasn't come yet. The same applies for parents who drill their kids with excessive enrichment/tuition. Never say 'never' that your child may find it unbearable one day and decide to turn the opposite direction.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:10 pm

concern2 wrote:I finally get to read the entire article, and I like the last part especially.

For one, it reminds us never to say 'never'. Perhaps our time just hasn't come yet. The same applies for parents who drill their kids with excessive enrichment/tuition. Never say 'never' that your child may find it unbearable one day and decide to turn the opposite direction.

Yes it CAN certainly happen to our kids that kind of workload knowing that many of our teachers work in a SILO and think that every child only studies the subject that they teach only. There is no integration between the teachers in the curriculum, everyone sets their own amount of homework, ended up the children get a mountain of homework. The right thing to do is for parents to get together and feedback to the teachers how UNREALISTIC some of the amount of homework and deadlines are, not to hire tutors to complete the work. It simply defeats the purpose of homework if the teachers are marking professionals' work. Would they prefer to listen to feedback or spend time marking scripts that are not even done by the kids. OR a worser scenario of a degenerating nation whereby the scripts are outsourced for marking as well....so NOBODY is really doing any real work but MONEY is working only for the wayang show to show that alot of WORK has been done? Again food for thought. :sweat:

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:13 pm

concern2 wrote:

Case 2:

I believe the lesson of "Copy" needs to be taught well to the children or they become confused that copying is fine. It is true that some study methods advocate copying, for example, model compos but this does not mean that they copy it for an assignment and hand up as their own, that is plagiarism. And if this copy goes beyond homework, it will end up as Cheating in exam, the next step. :scared:

Postby Chenonceau » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:50 pm

DS sat next to a prefect last year who blackmailed him thus: "Allow me to copy your Science worksheets. For every X number of questions, you get X number of points. The next time you forget to bring YOUR books or homework, you can redeem your points for me not telling Teacher about you."

All my son did was forget his books. What this girl did was...

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:52 pm

ksi wrote:
concern2 wrote:I finally get to read the entire article, and I like the last part especially.

Yes it CAN certainly happen to our kids that kind of workload knowing that many of our teachers work in a SILO and think that every child only studies the subject that they teach only. There is no integration between the teachers in the curriculum, everyone sets their own amount of homework, ended up the children get a mountain of homework. The right thing to do is for parents to get together and feedback to the teachers how UNREALISTIC some of the amount of homework and deadlines are, not to hire tutors to complete the work. It simply defeats the purpose of homework if the teachers are marking professionals' work. Would they prefer to listen to feedback or spend time marking scripts that are not even done by the kids. OR a worser scenario of a degenerating nation whereby the scripts are outsourced for marking as well....so NOBODY is really doing any real work but MONEY is working only for the wayang show to show that alot of WORK has been done? Again food for thought. :sweat:

My DD didn't have tuition in secondary school. But she landed in hospital because she had time to sleep only 3 hours a night at one point. I complained and the Principal blamed it on Facebook. But there really was a lot of homework EVEN for a girl with NO tuition at all.

What is life like for those with 8 to 9 tuition? Academic slavery? Sweat shop of good grades?

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:11 pm

ksi wrote:http://www.edvantage.com.sg/edvantage/news/news/983630/Parents_hire_tutors_to_do_kids_school_and_tuition_assignments.html

i am really appalled to read such news.....
hiring tutors to do sch or tuition homework , never know it exists :yikes:

i have not heard such things from my gal, at least not amongst her class or schmates that we know of......

it is so....so.... common for these IP pupils to go to bed at only midnite,
yes, they dont have sufficent hrs of sleep, and it's not healthy.....
but is a matter of adjustments and they would know how to "steal some hrs of sleep" to makeup for it.

paying $200 per hr to such tutors to do the sch homework ??
my gal would def tell me, " No Way!!! mummy, please save up such money" :evil: :lol:

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time