Better than exam results....let's celebrate

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Better than exam results....let's celebrate

Postby Guest » Thu May 21, 2009 10:28 am

My child has been doing excellently in school in terms of grades and independent work but what warms me is not her grades but certain experiences in school that helps me understand my child better.

Since the exams are over, the school has switched gear to fairly leisurely stuff like "show and tell", "speech and drama" and joint reading of storybooks like "Magic Finger" in the class...

When the teacher went round the class to ask if they had a magic finger, what would they do?
A lot of the answers were referring to their own wants with 2 of the wishes related to my child where the children wished to be twins and triplets with my child. When it came to my child's turn, she wanted to put her magic finger on 2 of her classmates who were lagging behind in their work and wished that they could work faster and improved quickly so that they could join them in play. To that, the teacher thanked her, because it was probably a wish the teacher had as well.

I must say this wish of hers is better than the stellar grades she is getting as I see a warm, kind little girl in the making into a young lady who cares beyond her family....

So as parents, what brings you fonder memories? The heart-warming acts of your child or their excellent school results per se?
Last edited by Guest on Thu May 21, 2009 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guest
 

Postby csc » Thu May 21, 2009 10:44 am

So as parents, what brings you fonder memories? The heart-warming acts of your child or their excellent school results per se?


For me, I will usually look under the 'conduct' column first and comment on it . Fortunately, the comments usually don't disappoint. The signal here is their conduct and character are more important and valuable to us than their academic performances.

To quote an incident, my girl's classmate got a 'gold' for the maths olympaid but was terribly upset for the simple reason that her 'rival' also got a gold.

My girl did not even win any award - but she went around to call her classmates to congratulate them when she knew of their results first on the website. She rejoices at their accomplishments.

Well, I'm proud of her. She may not have won a gold medal but she certainly has a heart made of one. :lol:

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:10 pm
Total Likes: 4


Postby Guest » Thu May 21, 2009 11:18 am

csc wrote:My girl did not even win any award - but she went around to call her classmates to congratulate them when she knew of their results first on the website. She rejoices at their accomplishments.

Well, I'm proud of her. She may not have won a gold medal but she certainly has a heart made of one. :lol:


I would be proud too because she is such a well-balanced child who knows her self-worth is not tagged to a medal. Bravo! If we have more children like this, the school experience will be a more pleasant one as well.
Guest
 

Postby 3Boys » Thu May 21, 2009 1:10 pm

And I am sure the values demonstrated by your kids have been modelled from their parents. Well Done!

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5014
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:28 pm
Total Likes: 220


Postby Guest » Thu May 21, 2009 8:09 pm

3Boys wrote:And I am sure the values demonstrated by your kids have been modelled from their parents. Well Done!


Thanks 3Boys. :celebrate: My child is privileged to have many doting teachers that have alot of patience with her, so other than home influence, I am certain she is getting alot of positive influence from her caring teachers, both from school and in her other classes. We are thankful for her teachers. :pray:
Guest
 


Re: Better than exam results....let's celebrate

Postby clarabella » Thu May 21, 2009 9:00 pm

ks2me wrote:When it came to my child's turn, she wanted to put her magic finger on 2 of her classmates who were lagging behind in their work and wished that they could work faster and improved quickly so that they could join them in play.


Your daughter is very sweet :D I would love it if my kids could think of others instead of themselves first.

A few questions... cos I'm a bit perplexed...
Erm, does that mean the 2 classmates don't get invited to play with the other kids cos they lag behind??
And, does the teacher identify them as lagging behind in their work? Or maybe it's obvious to the whole class?
I'm also wondering if the 2 kids minded being singled out in this manner.

No offence meant, ks2me, cos I understand your daughter means well. My kids are not in primary school yet so I am also trying to understand more.

I am being nosey for another reason. A friend transferred her kids from a very popular school to a neighbourhood school after a year. I was unable to resist asking why. One of her reasons: she was appalled when her P2 kid reported that his teacher told the class, "Everyone, let's laugh at so-and-so! Look, he is writing so slowly, he will never amount to anything!"

clarabella
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:55 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Better than exam results....let's celebrate

Postby Guest » Thu May 21, 2009 9:32 pm

clarabella wrote:Your daughter is very sweet :D I would love it if my kids could think of others instead of themselves first.

A few questions... cos I'm a bit perplexed...
Erm, does that mean the 2 classmates don't get invited to play with the other kids cos they lag behind??
And, does the teacher identify them as lagging behind in their work? Or maybe it's obvious to the whole class?
I'm also wondering if the 2 kids minded being singled out in this manner.

No offence meant, ks2me, cos I understand your daughter means well. My kids are not in primary school yet so I am also trying to understand more.

I am being nosey for another reason. A friend transferred her kids from a very popular school to a neighbourhood school after a year. I was unable to resist asking why. One of her reasons: she was appalled when her P2 kid reported that his teacher told the class, "Everyone, let's laugh at so-and-so! Look, he is writing so slowly, he will never amount to anything!"


Thanks clarabella. :D I am indeed happy that she does not only think of her self interest.

No worries about the question, it is only right to be curious. When she said play, she meant when they finished their work quickly, they were given some lag time in class to have free play. The 2 children probably never had the chance to join them so she was hoping there were moments they could finish faster to join the free play before the next lesson started.

Her teacher is a nurturing one and in class, they have a buddy system for children who are weaker so in turn, it gives the children the responsibility that they have to help and not laugh at them. Having said this, I must say many times the teachers are given empowerment to conduct the class the way they find effective. So sometimes some practices you hear, it may not be a practice of the school but more of the teacher. I am sorry to hear that your friend had a bad experience and hope that when your time comes, it would not be the same.
Guest
 

Postby clarabella » Thu May 21, 2009 11:27 pm

Ah, mystery solved!
Thank you, ks2me :D
Your daughter is indeed fortunate to have great teachers in her school!

clarabella
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:55 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Better than exam results....let's celebrate

Postby RRMummy » Fri May 22, 2009 9:33 am

clarabella wrote:One of her reasons: she was appalled when her P2 kid reported that his teacher told the class, "Everyone, let's laugh at so-and-so! Look, he is writing so slowly, he will never amount to anything!"


:!: I hope your friend reported the teacher to the principal and put a firm stop to that sort of rubbish-practise!! :x

Poor so-and-so... :( I sure hope he/she is alright.. :pray:

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 4931
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:06 pm
Total Likes: 9


Postby clarabella » Fri May 22, 2009 10:19 am

Hiya RRMummy!
I think she considered raising the issue with the principal, but didn't in the end .... hearsay mah, difficult to substantiate... Grrrrr!
I sure hope the little kid mentioned the incident to his parents.

I just heard another horror story from my hubs' colleague, about a teacher throwing a workbook at his kid due to some uncompleted work.

:x

clarabella
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:55 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Recess Time