private tuition

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

private tuition

Postby Herbie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:57 am

I asked for lesson plan from a private tutor tutoring my kid and i was told there is no lesson plan. No worksheet nor notes. My kid just hv to ask questions.

Private tuition ought to hv lesson plan right?

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: private tuition

Postby MandyMummy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:00 pm

There should be some planning on the topics to be covered on a monthly/ termly basis. The tutor is expected to check for understanding either during lesson or after lesson by giving either in-class work or homework. However, some buffer time should be set aside in case the child needs to clarify some doubts in school work.

MandyMummy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Bigleg » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:25 pm

My DS just have tuition on Chinese. The tutor just asked me what I want her to do to follow school syllabus or what. I said I wanted her to concentrate on HYPY as I don't know HYPY. Noticed that she is following the school textbook plus I asked her to give DS spelling which is in HYPY and go through some assessment books. She found the assessment book i bought is too difficult so she bought another one. For example recently I bought a assessment book on looking at the picts and writing sentences, I have difficulty to get DS to write so I asked her to do it.

Bigleg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Herbie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:36 pm

Hi mandymummy thanks for yr reply.
When i asked for lesson plan from her, she cited tat she teaches rgs and ri pupils without
Any lesson plan.

So i tot i was weird

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Herbie wrote:I asked for lesson plan from a private tutor tutoring my kid and i was told there is no lesson plan. No worksheet nor notes. My kid just hv to ask questions.

Private tuition ought to hv lesson plan right?

Depends.

For Primary level, the tutor have to be active. The students are usually passive, bcoz they are very young.

For secondary level, tuition is most effective when the student is active and the tutor passive. The student must be trained to be independent and find out what he/she doesn't know or understand, so that the tutor can better assist and build up a solid foundation in the subject. If the student is used to be spoonfed, then, this ought to be changed if you want your child to progress towards higher education and maybe in the workplace.

Private tuition is meant to help the student 1-to-1 and proceed at the student's pace. It is not like a class where the teacher cannot wait for everyone. Hence, the tuition lesson may follow the school's progress or slightly before/after.

As for notes, it depends on the tutor's style also. The tutor may already know the stuff inside out and need not refer to any materials. As such, for important points, he/she may ask the student to prepare a small note book to take down all the key points in their own words. This is especially helpful to the weaker students.

In any case, different educators may adopt a different approach and it may not be what you are used to or familiar with.

Personally, I feel that to benefit most from private tuition, the student must learn to identify and recognize what they do not know. It is an important skill to help them go further. And learning this skill is a privilege not present in class or group tuition.. where they are like a sponge and take in whatever the teachers dish out..(like watching TV, one way) how much is effectively absorbed or conveniently leak out is a different story..

btw.. one observation which I found in the better students.. They know what questions to ask and how to ask.
Last edited by limlim on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Herbie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:46 pm

The tutor is a fresh from sch a lebel grad which is the reason
why i m worried tat she is inexperience in tutoring.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Canvas » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:52 pm

I gave tuition eons ago when I was in college/university. What I did was to spend the first lesson giving the students mock tests and then I evaluated which areas the student/s needed more help in. For students who were generally okay with their studies, I went through each topic. So basically no lesson plan although I did give a General Overview and set goals for the students. Something I did for many more years after during my teaching career before I became a SAHM.

DS now has Chinese tuition. Because I am familiar with his weak areas, I would tell the tutor and she'd work on those areas. My job is to reinforce the learning when I have time (note: nearer to CA/SA :wink: ). When DS showed improvement, we move on to the next area. Communication is really important. The tutor and I would spend about 5 minutes after each lesson just chatting about DS' work, what they covered during the lesson and etc.

Every teacher/tutor is different and has own set of teaching strategy. Don't be afraid to ask the tutor if you feel uncomfortable. Hope that helps.

Canvas
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby limlim » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:55 pm

Herbie wrote:When i asked for lesson plan from her, she cited tat she teaches rgs and ri pupils without
Any lesson plan.

Herbie wrote:The tutor is a fresh from sch a lebel grad which is the reason
why i m worried tat she is inexperience in tutoring.

inexperienced? the rgs and ri is smoke one ar.. :evil: :evil:

Personally.. I teach w/o lesson plan one........ but maybe different subject different stroke..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Herbie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:51 pm

This tutor this graduated from rjc.
I m not sure whether she is lying abt tutoring rgs/ri pupils.
But i think $40 an hour is very ex and i sat in for a couple of the lesson and i felt that the lessons were rather disorganised which is why i m require
for lesson plan. And the reply is if i want lesson plan then she rather not teach my kid.
Last edited by Herbie on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BeContented » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:05 pm

Herbie wrote:This tutor this graduated from rjc.
I m not sure whether she is lying abt tutoring rgs/ri pupils.
But i think $40 an hour is very ex and i sat in for a couple of the lesson and u felt
that the lessons were rather disorganised which is why i m reque
for lesson plan. And the reply is if i want lesso plan then she rather not teach my kid

With reply like this.....I rather not have this tutor.
Sorry arhhh.....I have never engaged any home tutor so not a good advisor....but her reply seems to show some attitude problem leh.......

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time