S$113 mil in pledges for Lee Kuan Yew Fund for Bilingualism

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

S$113 mil in pledges for Lee Kuan Yew Fund for Bilingualism

Postby resgmom » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:08 pm

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/ED ... lingualism

There's something which I don't understand here. Since preschool education is separated from MOE, and the fund is also targeted for preschoolars, how is MOE going to utilise this funds? Would/Should the funds be available as a sort of "grants" for interested parties (communities, university researchers, other educators with ideas) to apply, to promote bilingualism, not just for use by MOE?

With the proliferation of tuition/enrichment centres, I would suspect that many of these talents who could really push bilingualism forward may not reside in MOE.

Thoughts?

resgmom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: S$113 mil in pledges for Lee Kuan Yew Fund for Bilingual

Postby resgmom » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:38 am

I was at a pre-school learning talk for pre-school education (in Chinese) organised by the Singapore Literature Society (a long-standing cultural organisation serving Chinese writers in Singapore) this past Saturday. Someone asked the chairman of the socity (会长) why he helped to set up kindergarten in China, but not in Singapore. He's a respected, Singaporean bi-lingual educator in his 70s. He said he felt that he could help the schools in China more, while the kindy here is too centralised (mostly PCF, NTUC, etc), and he, a home-grown educator with years of experience, is not in the power of promoting the Chinese language in the kindy. I felt very sad after hearing that, and asked whether he knew anything about how the LKY bilingual funds are being used, and he said he didn't know. He said all the promotions of Chinese cultural values done by the society are done by volunteers with no funding from the govt. I was just wondering whether the govt would be keeping the funds strictly for the PCF kindy? The centre is organising useful community educational talks like the one I attended, they even printed certificates for the attendees with their own resources. Are the donors to the LKY funds aware of how the funds are going to be used?

resgmom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Recess Time