"Only fools will think Singapore eduction is good"

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

"Only fools will think Singapore eduction is good"

Postby gladyschan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:13 am

An insightful article which I mostly agree about... if I had the chance I'd send my children overseas to study. A pity the fees are unaffordable...

http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/03/21/on ... n-is-good/

gladyschan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: "Only fools will think Singapore eduction is good"

Postby BlueBells » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:45 am

The process of continuous learning through life is an attitude that needs to be inculcate since young. It is also in the home environment that kids should be fed the appetite for inquisitveness so that they grow up asking questions in their quests for knowledge.

Singapore's education may not be world class or world best, but it is certainly far from being "no good".

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby janet88 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:33 am

BlueBells wrote:The process of continuous learning through life is an attitude that needs to be inculcate since young. It is also in the home environment that kids should be fed the appetite for inquisitveness so that they grow up asking questions in their quests for knowledge.

Singapore's education may not be world class or world best, but it is certainly far from being "no good".

We may not be world class, but at least home support is still there. Not all schools hand the responsibility back to parents.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mawar » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:01 am

There is lots of room for improvement in our current education system but it is definitely not the worse. Give credit where it is due. After 6 years of basic education, most kids come out with a pretty decent level of literacy and proficency.

The students who get the chance to pursue GOOD reputable univeristies abroad are lucky to experience a different system. Spending time abroad is a total package. They step out of their comfort zone, challenge themselves and mature.

It is a sweeping statement to claim that all Singapore students are obsessed with grades and are not creative at all. Maybe the writer needs to look around and get to know more Singaporeans. :siam: We have to look at our own culture as a whole. In the past due to our Asian heritage, we conform and put family and society above individual self. It is simplistic to point a crooked finger at the education.

It is more helpful, after gaining a world view, to suggest areas we can work on. After all we are a forward looking nation. :lol:

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iFirefly » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:39 am

gladyschan wrote:An insightful article which I mostly agree about... if I had the chance I'd send my children overseas to study. A pity the fees are unaffordable...

http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/03/21/on ... n-is-good/

Parents can choose to send their children overseas to study, if they feel strongly (and keep complaining) that the education system in Singapore is 'no good' and not up to their expectations. We (parents) have a choice, don't we? But, for any reason(s), if we do not have the choice (due to financial or other personal reasons), then we should try to embrace our education system and make the best out of it for our children.

I am not the biggest fan of the Singapore's education system, but I feel that our education system is not sooo bad, as expressed by some parents here. We may have plans to send our children overseas, not for their Primary & Secondary/JC education, but for their University education (it will be many years later, though). BUT, we (my DH & I) certainly do not need to migrate to other countries, as sending our children overseas to study IS NOT EQUAL TO 'migration', as (mis)interpreted by some forumer in other threads... :roll:
Last edited by iFirefly on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:10 am

Is Singapore Education the best? Is it world class?

IDK - For what are the parameters to be world class?
I hear about few other systems, experienced even fewer. I guess it is for most of us.
But experience and exposure have taught me what stems learining, what cultivates learning for children. Based on that I say Singapore education is pretty good.

Certain aspects are very good but bring along with it some flaws which can hurt a few children. Improvements need to be done. The quality of teaching should be better. Not all teachers/ schools are good enough. But over all - it does not dissappoint most. Some flourish, many grow, some wilt - different degrees.

Such rants well are just that - rants.
Sweeping statements. Over generalization.
Such people think a system can be black or white. If this is what an university education did to his mind - its sad. In fact I would hardly call it an education. Hope he did learn some other skills that would help him grow.

And It is posts like this that make a site lose credibility.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby toddles » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:26 am

TR is always pursuing its own agenda. so all articles should be read with that filter (a bit like how to read The Epoch Times maybe?)

As those above have mentioned, our education system has flaws - which doesn't? some seem serious, but overall, the system ain't utterly broke.

It is still meritocratic to a large extent. I personally have benefitted immensely from it in my time, and am grateful.

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:29 am

ranting of extreme view points on the anonymous internet is to be expected

is important for the silent majority to be informed what are extreme views, radical views, unconventional views, impractical views, nonsensical views

half truths or quarter truths ? half full or half empty ?

black or white and no shades in between ?
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sparks » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:42 pm

I dislike reading articles that are totally lopsided and this is one site that usually produces such articles...

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Pen88n » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Singapore education may not be world class, but it is certainly not that bad. Else why should our neighbouring countries, or even PRC students, come over to Singapore to study?

Granted, there are inadequacies, we :frustrated: :stompfeet: :rant: whilst our kids are progressing through their education journey here. But comparing with the other countries, which of us will say that we will send our kids to neighbouring countries like Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand or even China for better education than in Singapore, esp. when they are at the pri / sec levels? If you are comparing with developed countries like US or Australia or Europe, let's face it, there are inadequacies there too and not all are rosy - grass is always greener at the other side but you may see the weeds clearer once you have crossed the fence.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time