Overseas Immersion Programmes

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:15

Re: Overseas Immersion Programmes

Post by laughingcat » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:48 pm

I totally agreed that very much depends on the activities of the immersion programme. If it is like sports such as mountain climbing.....I will really think twice. I doubt I have the heart for that.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:135

Post by janet88 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:14 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
janet88 wrote:my son is likely to go to Japan...i asked hubby to go along as it is son's first overseas trip.
hubby said the itinerary is very packed from the time he reaches Japan and will be taking shinkasen to one place called Chubu...then after he returns to Tokyo, it will be the flight back to S'pore.
Janet
With wifi in the hotel room, every night can FaceTime your boy. So there is no need to worry much
Japan is an orderly and relatively safe country.
If his schedule is so packed, I doubt he will have time to wonder around. Japan is a country he loves a great deal because his Mario and Nintendo originated from there...and yes, my favorite cat with no mouth also from Japan.

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:25

Post by MyPillow » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:36 pm

janet88 wrote:
starlight1968sg wrote:
janet88 wrote:my son is likely to go to Japan...i asked hubby to go along as it is son's first overseas trip.
hubby said the itinerary is very packed from the time he reaches Japan and will be taking shinkasen to one place called Chubu...then after he returns to Tokyo, it will be the flight back to S'pore.
Janet
With wifi in the hotel room, every night can FaceTime your boy. So there is no need to worry much
Japan is an orderly and relatively safe country.
If his schedule is so packed, I doubt he will have time to wonder around. Japan is a country he loves a great deal because his Mario and Nintendo originated from there...and yes, my favorite cat with no mouth also from Japan.
Your ds is 18 right? Old/ mature enough to travel with Sch grp .; safe la.
My Nephew went solo trip to jap with his class mates in Dec, after A level _ I feel it’s a bit “ too much “ to handle ( no adult figure ) but I din comment , dun wish to act kpo.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:10

Post by Coolkidsrock2 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:37 am

Japan is very safe. No worries. He will enjoy it. Have fun.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:27

Post by starlight1968sg » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:10 am

Janet
What is the cat with no mouth you mentioned? Miffy???
Does your son have to pay much for this trip?

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:10

Post by Coolkidsrock2 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:46 am

Think Hello Kitty.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:119

Post by Jennifer » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:58 am

dolphin11 wrote:Its our turn to "storm" through this.. oversea trip across the causeway for primary schooler.. 2days 1 night
Are our children ready for the paradox box to be opened?

Here's my consideration:
- Bullying - be it verbal or physical is common these days. 2 to 3 children shared the same room. This is a good opportunity for peers to tease or bully. do they know to stand up for themselves ? do they fear of jeopardizing the 'friendship'? can they choose their room mates? do we need to wait for damage or traumatize to be done? or can we wait for them to develop the sense of judgement?

- to lead or to follow : with a few children in the same room .. what fun stuff will they be up to in the absence of an adult at night? all it takes is one to lead and the rest to follow. is our children sensible enough not to follow and brave enough to say No, this is wrong i do not want to follow?

- Connection to the world through wifi... Do we know what site they are viewing? I often seen children crowding around a child with handheld device. Not all parents are technology savy to setup parental blocks. does the kids know what content is viewable and what are junk?

- destination : no matter how 'safe' it is. Natural or man-made disaster can happen any time. The recent effect of monsoon wind in sg is a reminder. terrorist attack, kidnapping, missing.. these news are often covered up. what can we do as a parent? To be realistic, we cannot prevent. if it meant to happen, it will happen. At least, i want to be there if such things happen until the child develop sense of awareness or safety skills.

-value systems : perks such as shopping time slot and buffet style breakfast and 5 star hotel are provided in the package. I wonder what kind of value system are we inculcating. In our family trip, we do backpack.. means usually on shoe string budget. culturally teaching them to be shopper and travel luxury? This is something that i m not comfortable with.

- understanding history of other countries: do we really need to go there to appreciate? how many historical sites in sg have we bring our children to?

I am all for stay in camps hosted locally where children get a taste of disciplines, and community sharing under the watchful eyes of adults. Yes, its not easy to disallow. that's why i label it as "storm".

Trust your parenting methods and trust yourself that you have brought up your child well.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:209

Post by slmkhoo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:18 am

Dolphin11's child is still in pr school? I would probably not allow if he was my child. I don't see the need, and I feel that kids of that age are still too young to travel in groups away from family.

From the mid-teens, I think kids should be sensible and independent enough to travel in school groups.

This year, my 18yo daughter is planning to go on a week's holiday with 3 other girls. The various parents have told them that if they go on a tour, we're OK with it. By next year, she may well be living overseas and I will just have to trust her good sense, so this is a "try-out". I studied overseas from 19yo, and travelled extensively with friends, and it was fine. A lot depends on the child's maturity and good sense.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:76

Post by ngl2010 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:38 am

My niece travelled ALONE to Europe for 1 month after her A levels. She is so daring! I won’t allow DS to travel alone for 1 month overseas at 18yo. When I asked her how she ensure her safety, she told me she carried penknife all the time. :faint:

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:209

Post by slmkhoo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:44 am

ngl2010 wrote:My niece travelled ALONE to Europe for 1 month after her A levels. She is so daring! I won’t allow DS to travel alone for 1 month overseas at 18yo. When I asked her how she ensure her safety, she told me she carries penknife all the time. :faint:
I wouldn't allow that either! How did her parents feel about it? Even my husband and I, at our age and with our experience, wouldn't travel alone like that. There are just too many risks, and unless she is extremely good at self-defence, a penknife isn't going to help! Travelling from point to point would probably be safer - I would be fine if my daughter wanted to visit friends overseas, travelling from place to place, for a month (depending on where and how).