Overseas Immersion Programmes

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:76

Re: Overseas Immersion Programmes

Post by ngl2010 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:36 pm

Cloud Cloud wrote: In fact, I did not even allow dd1 to take part in the swimming lessons conducted by her primary school. I cannot trust the teacher and trainer to take care of so many children in the pool.
I also cannot trust the teacher and swimming instructor for swimming lessons in primary school. The ratio between instructor and children are too horrible. Only 1 instructor to 40 kids plus the PE teacher during DS’s time. Moreover at that time there was news in newspapers that a primary school student lost his life during his school”s swimming lesson. Luckily I got to know about the PE swimming programme in DS’s school early so I put DS in private swimming lessons 2 years before his swimming lessons start in school. If not, I may have forbid him from taking part in his primary school’s swimming lessons too.

OT: Is the current ratio between swimming instructor and children in primary school’s swimming lessons still bad?

dolphin11
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Total Likes:1

Post by dolphin11 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:27 pm

Cloud Cloud wrote:
dolphin11 wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:Dolphin11's child is still in pr school? I would probably not allow if he was my child. I don't see the need, and I feel that kids of that age are still too young to travel in groups away from family.

From the mid-teens, I think kids should be sensible and independent enough to travel in school groups.

This year, my 18yo daughter is planning to go on a week's holiday with 3 other girls. The various parents have told them that if they go on a tour, we're OK with it. By next year, she may well be living overseas and I will just have to trust her good sense, so this is a "try-out". I studied overseas from 19yo, and travelled extensively with friends, and it was fine. A lot depends on the child's maturity and good sense.
yes he is primary schooler. I am trying share in this group that it's ok not to go . Why risk if you know your child's senses has not develop? Look deeper into the purpose. Is it necessary in the first place?
Unless it is to take part in competition, I will not allow my primary school child to travel overseas. Agree, not worth the risk.

In fact, I did not even allow dd1 to take part in the swimming lessons conducted by her primary school. I cannot trust the teacher and trainer to take care of so many children in the pool.
yes, the purpose does not serve the risk :)

dolphin11
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by dolphin11 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:36 pm

Zeit wrote:
dolphin11 wrote: we just had an episode of bullying. not about parenting methods. :) sometimes its just a mattar of time for them to develop the skills to say no. :)
Your child was recently bullied by his classmates and you don't feel good that he's going to be with them on this overseas trip? Won't there be a buddy system or 1 teacher: 5 kids to look out for one another?

If you judge that your son's not mature or street smart enough, it's best to opt out. There's very little culture/heritage to learn across the Causeway (unless they are going to Malacca or Penang). You can take him there yourself.

I just don't feel safe when you mentioned Causeway, which means they are travelling by coach. I rather be the one controlling the wheel. Any mishap, I take full responsibility!
the ratio is 1:10. Ya, we can bring children ourselves. I traveled with him alone in outskirts of South Korea. He is familiar with traveling - not the group tour kind ;) more on DIY type. He can read map and can help to watch out for bus etc.

you spoke my thought about the 'wheel' part :) :imanangel:

dolphin11
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by dolphin11 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:38 pm

janet88 wrote:hubby is paranoid about kids going overseas. i thought i am worse. anyway, son's japan trip is fully packed itinerary. planning to apply for a debit card for him. at least he can buy something he likes.
orientate with him what to do when an earthquake happens? not to instill fear. it is common. and rampant lately. it is good to be prepared;

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:39

Post by sleepy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:18 pm

ngl2010 wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:My niece travelled ALONE to Europe for 1 month after her A levels. She is so daring! I won’t allow DS to travel alone for 1 month overseas at 18yo. When I asked her how she ensure her safety, she told me she carries penknife all the time. :faint:
I wouldn't allow that either! How did her parents feel about it? Even my husband and I, at our age and with our experience, wouldn't travel alone like that. There are just too many risks, and unless she is extremely good at self-defence, a penknife isn't going to help! Travelling from point to point would probably be safer - I would be fine if my daughter wanted to visit friends overseas, travelling from place to place, for a month (depending on where and how).
Of course she went with her parents' permission. The parents doesn't think it is dangerous. Oh well... I guess it is different parenting style... :shrug:

Btw, she doesn't know any self defence.
I travelled alone in Europe/Scandinavia for 2 months when I was 24 years old. Had 2 to 3 close encounters so indeed important to stay alert at all times.

I wouldn't agree to my kids travelling alone regardless at 18 or 24 though. Europe was comparatively safer 2 decades ago.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:182

Post by phtthp » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:58 pm

any secondary school go overseas learning journey, to South Korea ?

ssliana
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by ssliana » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:42 pm

I think overseas immersion programmes / OCIP programmes can be very beneficial for students, provided there is a clear and deep objective to the trip! Students always benefit from being exposed to different perspectives, people and places, especially in an environment like Singapore's, with such an overarching narrative and expectation of what it means to be 'successful'. They can be very good reminders that there is a wider world beyond grades and test scores, which helps build self-esteem and a belief in children's own competency.

Del27
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Del27 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:38 am

I see that this thread has been going on since 2012, so I guess it's been an issue since forever. I really do not believe that primary or even secondary school kids should be going on overseas school trips. If primary school kids do go, a parent should accompany as well. If it is a "cultural immersion" that they "need" to experience, why not start at home? Make volunteering at orphanages, old folks home, hospice, childrens' hospitals compulsory. These open kids eyes wider than anything. And why is it always China?? The same tour agencies are benefitting from this and parents are being suckered into sending their kids. You don't hear of schools going to India right? Why not go for immersion in Malaysian schools then? This cultivates better cultural understanding with our neighbours and more relevant.

Zappy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:18

Post by Zappy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:53 pm

Del27 wrote: You don't hear of schools going to India right? Why not go for immersion in Malaysian schools then? This cultivates better cultural understanding with our neighbours and more relevant.
There are cultural immersions to India, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, etc.
Not sure where you got the info that there isn't.

simplycho
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by simplycho » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:28 am

hi parents, my P4 ds was also selected for interview for an immersion trip to shanghai/xiamen
initially we were skeptical and left him to handle the written submission
we didnt think he would be granted an interview
now we are stuck because he is so excited and wishes to do his best for the interview
on one hand, we are thrilled if he gets past the interview himself
but on the other hand, we are worried that if he gets selected after interview and we were to stop him from going, he will be devastated

we mentioned that we will bring him to china in future but i guess he really wants to experience travelling on his own

as parents, our key concerns are of safety.. food and comfort of accomodation are secondary
any idea which airline do they normally fly?
we hope to follow along but without interfering with the schedule