Tuition - from the Kids' Perspectives

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Tuition - from the Kids' Perspectives

Postby concern2 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:34 am

Hi, I've recently heard my niece in P5 talking about results. She's in the top class of her cohort, but not the top student. She's a naturally diligent and independent child who does not need private tuitions. When she received flying colors in her recent test, her classmates started commenting:

A: Wa, you sure you don't have any tuitions?
B: Maybe you have tons of tuitions and say you don't have :laugh:

Personally I would have felt insulted - what, questioning my integrity and accusing me of lying? My good natured niece just laughed, thinking it's funny.

How do kids view tuition these days? Do they really feel they won't be able to make the grades without private tuitions? And how about those who are doing without tuitions? Is there a pressure to take up tuitions just so they aren't the odd ones out?

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4895
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:18 pm
Total Likes: 29


Re: Tuition - from the Kids' Perspectives

Postby Tokidoki » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:42 am

concern2 wrote:Hi, I've recently heard my niece in P5 talking about results. She's in the top class of her cohort, but not the top student. She's a naturally diligent and independent child who does not need private tuitions. When she received flying colors in her recent test, her classmates started commenting:

A: Wa, you sure you don't have any tuitions?
B: Maybe you have tons of tuitions and say you don't have :laugh:

Personally I would have felt insulted - what, questioning my integrity and accusing me of lying? My good natured niece just laughed, thinking it's funny.

How do kids view tuition these days? Do they really feel they won't be able to make the grades without private tuitions? And how about those who are doing without tuitions? Is there a pressure to take up tuitions just so they aren't the odd ones out?


I'm glad your niece handled it in such mature manners. I'm surprised by her classmates' comments. My boy juz started P1 and i have no intention to enrol him for additional enrichment/tuition pgms. Tuition will be last resort when he fails and i'm not able to coach him.

My bro & sis who made it to RJC nvr have tuition at all. I dun understand y nowsaday tuition has suddenly become compulsory.

Tokidoki
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:49 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Tuition - from the Kids' Perspectives

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:50 am

If the child is doing well in subjects such as maths and science, what kind of value-add can a tuition teacher provide? :? Thought tuition is more like home based remedial class!?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 14653
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am
Total Likes: 148


Re: Tuition - from the Kids' Perspectives

Postby sparks » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:57 am

On the contrary, if I were her, I will feel proud of myself as I've achieved good grades on my own. I am sure my children will feel that way too. We can't change the mindset of others, children or parents. Why get offended over something that's not true? We should focus our time & effort on something else that's more meaningful like cultivating the joy in learning or developing an inquisitive mind.

If my children can cope (like your niece) without tuition, I would have gladly give it a miss. I know my children feel the same way also.

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:05 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Tuition - from the Kids' Perspectives

Postby concern2 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:40 pm

Thanks for your comments. How about from the kids' perspective? Even those in Sec Schools n JCs.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4895
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:18 pm
Total Likes: 29



Re: Tuition - from the Kids' Perspectives

Postby fightingmom » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:13 am

sparks wrote:On the contrary, if I were her, I will feel proud of myself as I've achieved good grades on my own. I am sure my children will feel that way too. We can't change the mindset of others, children or parents. Why get offended over something that's not true? We should focus our time & effort on something else that's more meaningful like cultivating the joy in learning or developing an inquisitive mind.

If my children can cope (like your niece) without tuition, I would have gladly give it a miss. I know my children feel the same way also.



Well said !

fightingmom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6805
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:52 pm
Total Likes: 6


Re: Tuition - from the Kids' Perspectives

Postby Joule » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:07 pm

it's your standard of English, ppl

ever notice that everything - esp Mathematics in Pri sch is based in English?

naturally those better English speakers and readers would do well and thus do not need tuition

this is just my theory

kids from parents who inculate a 'reading' culture don't need so much tuition

kids from 'kiasu parents' don't need so much tuition to get the same grades

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:45 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: Tuition - from the Kids' Perspectives

Postby concern2 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Joule wrote:it's your standard of English, ppl

ever notice that everything - esp Mathematics in Pri sch is based in English?

naturally those better English speakers and readers would do well and thus do not need tuition

this is just my theory

kids from parents who inculate a 'reading' culture don't need so much tuition

kids from 'kiasu parents' don't need so much tuition to get the same grades


Ya, you may be right. My niece was able to read by the age of 3, and is still an ardent reader, never been hothoused in her life.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4895
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:18 pm
Total Likes: 29


Re: Tuition - from the Kids' Perspectives

Postby Joule » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:36 pm

conversely, if one does not read

one's standard of English would not be that good

which affects the results of science, and mathematics and of course English in Primary school

which potentially of course leads to a whole 8 - 10 years of lost educational opportunities

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:45 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: Tuition - from the Kids' Perspectives

Postby pinky » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:16 am

kinda :offtopic:
Education: is not what you are being taught but what you have learnt that matters

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2811
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:03 am
Total Likes: 0



Return to Recess Time