Weird birthday party bag

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Weird birthday party bag

Postby smurf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:31 pm

My boy came bak with a party bag. Inside the bag are all sort of weird items.

Got toilet sign sticker, a small box of papers, and blank notebook, a pack of potato Chips (with plenty of artificial colourings), a pack of pencils (ok, nothing weird about this), halograph stickers and the weirdest is a pen knife.

His school is a kindergarten and I wonder why parents give dangerous item as party bags gift? Not sure what other kids receive though.

PS: the birthday child is only about 2-3 year old, and they are from PRC.
Last edited by smurf on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Weird birthday party bag

Postby smurf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:42 pm

Oh, and a pack of pencils lead...(weird because why would pre schoolers need and know how to use lead, for mechanical pencils one)??

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mother777 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:31 pm

well..I do understand your concern as a parent of young kid..and its good that your child did not try using any of the sharp items or hurt himself..

I suspect (IMO) that the parents may not be familiar with the concept of return gifts..

since their own kid is very young, he would not have told what others kids are giving back as return gifts (unless the parents are careful to observe the goody bag the kid brings back home)..

may be you can try talking to the parent (if you know them well, other wise they may get offended) and explain..the basic concept of things to put in good bags..for young kids, some chocolates, biscuit, a yo-yo, whistle..balloon etc is ok..

or the best option is to highlight this to the teacher and ask her to feed back gently to the parent..

all parents want their kids to be happy :)

well my DD1 (since kindergarten) had her own mind to select the things that will go into goody bags..
ha ha ha..she is in P2 this year.. and still distributed goody bags..all kids were pretty excited (including the teacher!)

mother777
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby smurf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:24 pm

Honestly, I rather parents don't give party bag...dangerous stationery are well, dangerous. What if the kids open the party bag in sch and try to figure out how to use them (such as the pen knife)?? Without going back to show parents? Some kids are excited about part bag so they may open in school...

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mother777 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:34 pm

well smurf, we cannot control how other parents celebrate their kids birthday party and what items they put in the goody bags!

best option is to highlight your concerns to the class teacher/care-taker..am sure they will help you out :)

Hope my earlier post did not offend you as that was not my intension

Cheers

mother777
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby smurf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:31 pm

oh no, you didnt...haha...

I was in a hurry so didnt see what i was typing...:)

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:59 pm

Ummm, if I know the parents, I will let them know gently. But if I don't, then I will keep quiet and throw quietly. DS kindy will let them collect the bag but only open after they are out of school.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby cherrygal » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:39 pm

A Pen Knife? I would feedback to the teacher and tell her to let them know it is inappropriate.

The potato chips with colouring, well, can't complain coz some pple just buy the cheapest brands from Valudollar... I wouldn't complain about the rest of the items lah... just throw those things you don't want...

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vicki » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:48 pm

Yah!! Very weird gift, ie, the pen knife!!

vicki
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby phankao » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:42 am

cherrygal wrote:A Pen Knife? I would feedback to the teacher and tell her to let them know it is inappropriate.

The potato chips with colouring, well, can't complain coz some pple just buy the cheapest brands from Valudollar... I wouldn't complain about the rest of the items lah... just throw those things you don't want...

that little girl is 2years old. And we didn't receive any pencil leads or pen knife, and instead of pencils, received 2 pens., so I think all the party bags very random!!!

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time