1 Million Tablets for Thai Primary 1 Kids

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Thailand buys a million tablets for P1 kids

Postby TTLauPeh » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:19 pm

More IT-savvy than Singapore:
http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BN ... 7661.html# Someone please post this on our edu minister's Facebook (I'm not a member).

TTLauPeh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

1 Million Tablets for Thai Primary 1 Kids

Postby Chenonceau » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:45 pm

Thailand didn't claim world class standards... but maybe that is what keeps them trying.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BN ... 7661.html#

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: 1 Million Tablets for Thai Primary 1 Kids

Postby concern2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:23 pm

I can't say whether I agree with having tablets or not, but if it is to replace the use of text books and the kids no longer need to carry the heavy bag to school everyday, then I'm for it. But perhaps then students will need to have lockers to keep away their tablet when at PE or CCA?

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinky » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:28 pm

it does affect their eyesight, doesn't it?
1 million tablets ---> 1 million pairs of specs :yikes:

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:54 pm

pinky wrote:it does affect their eyesight, doesn't it?

:rotflmao: So that's one against tablets? Actually if they are not 'glued' to it like if no installation of games other than school-approved ones are allowed, then maybe it won't be so bad. Myopia is often the result of long hours of usage without breaks - and that includes the use of books :wink:

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Just because Thailand does tablets doesn't mean we should... but at least there is an effort to use IT as a platform to ensure flowthrough of educational resources - and in a big way too. 1 million tablets in Thailand. And in Singapore we are told that we have too little resources.

Let's not get stuck just debating the use of tablets... but if people want to debate, they can, I suppose.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinky » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:04 pm

concern2 wrote:

:rotflmao: So that's one against tablets? Actually if they are not 'glued' to it like if no installation of games other than school-approved ones are allowed, then maybe it won't be so bad. Myopia is often the result of long hours of usage without breaks - and that includes the use of books :wink:

maybe their homework load is lighter than ours so hopefully no need to 'glue' to it for long period of time :evil:

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:08 pm

Chenonceau wrote:Just because Thailand does tablets doesn't mean we should... but at least there is an effort to use IT as a platform to ensure flowthrough of educational resources - and in a big way too. 1 million tablets in Thailand. And in Singapore we are told that we have too little resources.

Let's not get stuck just debating the use of tablets... but if people want to debate, they can, I suppose.

Yes, that's a lot of resources. I believe at one time there had been consideration to use, but the thing about technology is that it changes so fast - although I have no idea if it is this reason that it hadn't been adopted. I thought I saw from news some time ago that one independent school has started using iPads - but that's subsidized or out of own pockets I did not follow up.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:00 am

Chenonceau wrote:Just because Thailand does tablets doesn't mean we should... but at least there is an effort to use IT as a platform to ensure flowthrough of educational resources - and in a big way too. 1 million tablets in Thailand. And in Singapore we are told that we have too little resources.

SAF can afford.. MOE can't..?

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:04 am

Many schools are selling "online enrichment programs" to students.. Like mconline, problemsums, AsknLearn etc..

If they expect students to use computers, what reason is there to shy from using iPads?

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time