No policy to ban Holiday homework

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

No policy to ban Holiday homework

Postby LOLMum » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:29 pm

AsiaOne
Monday, Apr 09, 2012

SINGAPORE - Mr Lim Biow Chuan, MP for Mountbatten put forward to the Minister for Education, Mr Heng Swee Keat, the possibility of implementing a policy of not allowing schools to hand out homework during school holidays.

However, Mr Heng said that such a policy would be unwise as homework during the school holidays allows students to reinforce their learning.

He added that "students and teachers have found homework to be a useful feedback mechanism to check whether students have mastered concepts and skills, and are able to apply them to different contexts".

The amount of homework will have to calibrated to ensure that students will have enough time to take a break from their formal learning and pursue other interests as well, Mr Heng noted.

He concluded that the Ministry will continue to work closely with schools to ensure that the amount of homework given during the holidays is appropriate.

abrahamr@sph.com.sg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes I really dislike long weekends, cos of homework, tests.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: No policy to ban Holiday homework

Postby pair » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:34 pm

Well i also agree with this that holiday homework enforce kids to pay attention on studies which is really necessary.

pair
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby hquek » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:14 am

Agree with LOLMum. NOrmal days still ok. But come long weekends, there is no holiday feel becos the amount of work is staggering. For my son's experience in P1 and now P2, there's a LOT of chinese words to copy out, maybe 1 or 2 english journals to write. These are all tedious stuff that if I were the one to do, I will feel my brain turn to stone.

During cny this year, I had to jaga him and make sure he finish his stuff asap so we all can enjoy the rest of the holidays. when I'm on leave, I go on leave. if I have to tapao, where got time or even mood to enjoy leh?

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Oppsgal » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:32 am

Don't do the homework and ask the teacher to see parents, then during the parents meet teacher session, tell them too much homework till no holiday. Kids also need rest days. :rotflmao:

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby winchester » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:46 am

Oppsgal wrote:Don't do the homework and ask the teacher to see parents, then during the parents meet teacher session, tell them too much homework till no holiday. Kids also need rest days. :rotflmao:

exactly. as long as kid can catch up, do or don't do homework during hols is not a problem if kids is not punished, homework is optional and parents support no homework.

winchester
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby chenwj » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:47 pm

We have a study room with 2 desks, one for DS, one for me/wife.

Sometimes I bring work from office to sort out on weekends when working on tight projects. I thought its cool that DS is on his homework and I work on my projects in the study room, together.

The problem comes when wifey also brings her urgent work home. Not enough desk in study room for 3 of us!

If we cannot change the system, then make the best out of it!

chenwj
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby hquek » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:52 pm

winchester wrote:
Oppsgal wrote:Don't do the homework and ask the teacher to see parents, then during the parents meet teacher session, tell them too much homework till no holiday. Kids also need rest days. :rotflmao:

exactly. as long as kid can catch up, do or don't do homework during hols is not a problem if kids is not punished, homework is optional and parents support no homework.

well, problem is that my kid is a goody two shoes. He won't want to be the one to stand out. But seriously, if it gets overwhelming for him, I'll probably learn from the masters here how to write excuse notes.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hquek » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:53 pm

ha! I buy a smart desk for my kids to do their homework, ergonomic and all. problem is, my kids gravitate to lying prone on the floor mostly. need to nag and all to get them to sit on that expensive table. haizzz.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Oppsgal » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:10 pm

hquek wrote:ha! I buy a smart desk for my kids to do their homework, ergonomic and all. problem is, my kids gravitate to lying prone on the floor mostly. need to nag and all to get them to sit on that expensive table. haizzz.

Try fine them for misuse of floor as table? :lol:

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:12 pm

hquek wrote:
well, problem is that my kid is a goody two shoes. He won't want to be the one to stand out. But seriously, if it gets overwhelming for him, I'll probably learn from the masters here how to write excuse notes.

:shrug: How to write a master piece of excuse letter for homework not done?

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time