deleted...

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Re: Confessions of an Ex-Teacher

Postby Big fish » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:20 am

Please elaborate on these activities and why you think they are irrelevant.

Big fish
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:11 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Confessions of an Ex-Teacher

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:46 pm

ccaccessory.com wrote:I taught in a secondary school. Quitted last week. Hope to come here and grumble a bit :imcool: :imcool: I will update if I have the time.

Post exam activities

I do not understand why students have so many post exam activities. Some are really not useful to them. From what I observe, some teachers like to hold post exam activities so that they can have something to write about in their EPMS (For their HOD to assess). Sometimes, I pity those foreign students who are poor and cannot apply for any financial aids. They just have to ask their parents to pay just to go for some irrelevant post exam activities. Sometimes, I imagine that the parents are skipping lunch to save money for these activities.


I'm also an ex-school teacher. Left the service in Dec 2010.

1. I welcome post exam activities IF the students have direct benefits. Some post exam activities which I know my student enjoyed and benefitted from:
(a) Sports activities/competitions
(b) Sexuality Education Programme (I was the coordinator and requested for it to be a post exam activity so that it does not eat into curriculum time)
(c) Excursions

2. Post exam activities which my students felt were unnecessary and some teachers did express that it was a 'waste of time' having to plan and carry out:
(a) "Motivational talks" - Conducted as a mass group, person conducting the programme is an external vendor does not even know the students personally. How to motivate them when you don't know them? And it's not cheap!
(b) "Personality Profiling" or "Learning Style Identification" - It's nice to know but problem is, anyone using the profiling to help themselves? No. Any teachers use the profiling to help the students? Difficult with such large classes (how to accomodate so many different learning styles/personality types?). This will probably benefit IF parents sit in the session and discover their child's learning style to work with them at home.

I think the main issue many teachers have is that such activities take up a lot of time (planning, organising, contacting vendors, prepare materials, etc). It eats into the very little time we have left outside the classroom in which we desperately need to finish marking, do lesson planning and preparing worksheets.

However, depending on schools, some have good planning with ensures that teachers are rotated so that such activities do not eat into their personal time.

I grew up studying in a school which planned many activities for us and I'm glad that my school made wise choices on the activities as I still remember them vividly and are using some of the skills I learnt from there.

This is why parents need to find out more about a school before deciding.
And no, I did not study in some fancy top school. It was just a simple school which emphasized a lot on character building, which translated to good 'O' level results though the kids they take in generally do not score very well for PSLE. :)

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:02 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Confessions of an Ex-Teacher

Postby ccaccessory.com » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:49 pm

I agree with the previous poster. These are some activities which I disagree. Actually planning these activities is simple if the school has done similar program last year.

E.g. Motivational talks- They can be as long as 3 days. I personally sit in many of these talks and they all came with the same storyline, the presenter scored F9 during prelim and A1 in o-level. In my ex school, students are made to attend 2-3 motivation talk which most find useless. Many skipped the talk and some attended for fear of punishment.

Caring Teacher vs Wayang Teacher

In EPMS, teachers are judged on their "contributions" to school. They are many teachers who do not care about their students (or pretend to care) and still achieve leadership position. They can do it by many approaches such as building a pond in the school. At the same time, there is a group of teachers who really care for the students and stay back for them till 6pm everyday. However, these teachers are not recognised at all as they do not make similar "contributions" to the school. In the end, these are teachers who get D ranking every year (Especially 1A3 teachers).

ccaccessory.com
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:20 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Confessions of an Ex-Teacher

Postby autumnbronze » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:05 pm

ccaccessory.com wrote:
Caring Teacher vs Wayang Teacher

In EPMS, teachers are judged on their "contributions" to school. They are many teachers who do not care about their students (or pretend to care) and still achieve leadership position. They can do it by many approaches such as building a pond in the school.At the same time, there is a group of teachers who really care for the students and stay back for them till 6pm everyday. However, these teachers are not recognised at all as they do not make similar "contributions" to the school. In the end, these are teachers who get D ranking every year (Especially 1A3 teachers).



Ahhhh, so this IS a fact and not a myth after all.

I apologize, a bit out of touch here .... What is 1A3 again??

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11856
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:54 pm
Total Likes: 63


Re: Confessions of an Ex-Teacher

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:14 pm

autumnbronze wrote:
ccaccessory.com wrote:
Caring Teacher vs Wayang Teacher

In EPMS, teachers are judged on their "contributions" to school. They are many teachers who do not care about their students (or pretend to care) and still achieve leadership position. They can do it by many approaches such as building a pond in the school.At the same time, there is a group of teachers who really care for the students and stay back for them till 6pm everyday. However, these teachers are not recognised at all as they do not make similar "contributions" to the school. In the end, these are teachers who get D ranking every year (Especially 1A3 teachers).



Ahhhh, so this IS a fact and not a myth after all.

I apologize, a bit out of touch here .... What is 1A3 again??



My dear, it's ranking system which determines our pay. If you get promoted, you jump up to the next grade. :)

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:02 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: Confessions of an Ex-Teacher

Postby autumnbronze » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:31 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:
autumnbronze wrote:
ccaccessory.com wrote:
Caring Teacher vs Wayang Teacher

In EPMS, teachers are judged on their "contributions" to school. They are many teachers who do not care about their students (or pretend to care) and still achieve leadership position. They can do it by many approaches such as building a pond in the school.At the same time, there is a group of teachers who really care for the students and stay back for them till 6pm everyday. However, these teachers are not recognised at all as they do not make similar "contributions" to the school. In the end, these are teachers who get D ranking every year (Especially 1A3 teachers).



Ahhhh, so this IS a fact and not a myth after all.

I apologize, a bit out of touch here .... What is 1A3 again??



My dear, it's ranking system which determines our pay. If you get promoted, you jump up to the next grade. :)


:thankyou: mrswongtuition :hugs:

I should have phrased it more clearly - is 1A3 the rank that Newbie teachers start of with??

ps: I did warn that I am out of touch :smile:

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11856
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:54 pm
Total Likes: 63


Re: Confessions of an Ex-Teacher

Postby mgnvr » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:35 pm

MOE forgets the teachers primary role is to teach and not "contribute" to the school. It's the failure of the system.

mgnvr
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:00 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Confessions of an Ex-Teacher

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:42 pm

autumnbronze wrote: :thankyou: mrswongtuition :hugs:

I should have phrased it more clearly - is 1A3 the rank that Newbie teachers start of with??

ps: I did warn that I am out of touch :smile:


I'm also a little out of touch since I have selective memory now *only remember the good things*.
1A3 should be newbies.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:02 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Confessions of an Ex-Teacher

Postby hope76 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:18 pm

Hi, new teacher starts with 1a1 (degree holder).

1a3 is a new title that moe created few years back for those senior teacher that r stuck at 1a2 for very long cos unless they r promoted to hold leadership position, they will be at 1a2 forever and there's a cap to their salary.

1a3 is a new title for them and raise the salary cap for these group of teachers.

autumnbronze wrote:
ccaccessory.com wrote:
Caring Teacher vs Wayang Teacher

In EPMS, teachers are judged on their "contributions" to school. They are many teachers who do not care about their students (or pretend to care) and still achieve leadership position. They can do it by many approaches such as building a pond in the school.At the same time, there is a group of teachers who really care for the students and stay back for them till 6pm everyday. However, these teachers are not recognised at all as they do not make similar "contributions" to the school. In the end, these are teachers who get D ranking every year (Especially 1A3 teachers).



Ahhhh, so this IS a fact and not a myth after all.

I apologize, a bit out of touch here .... What is 1A3 again??

hope76
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:36 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: Confessions of an Ex-Teacher

Postby zeraffe » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:43 am

Welcome to the club! I like to applaud you on probably the best career move you have ever made in your life.

I left in 2010 and never looked back. I saw your very recent post and can't help but contribute to the discussion.

MOE's top management have never been teachers. They live in an ivory tower, absorbing best practices from the corporate world and applying them to education. One might argue that the DGE and the Cluster Sups were once teachers themselves. I agree but their era of education is so different from the current reality that I believe they have lost touch. In fact, I would put an arm and a leg out to say that they have since been moulded into thinking like corporate honchos. If such are the people making the policies and designing the appraisal system, can we expect anything more from them?

zeraffe
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:25 am
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Recess Time