What's wrong with the doctors nowadays??

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

What's wrong with the doctors nowadays??

Postby shinri » Wed May 09, 2012 10:25 am

Kinda missed my old doctor near my parents' place... If you go to her with a cold, she will prepare cough, phelgm, etc medicine even if you haven't showed the symptoms yet. Of course a bit expensive but well worth it.
My current place has 4 clinics but sadly, 3 of them can't make it.
The last one has a long waiting time, average about 1 hour....

Just went to 1 of the clinics with running nose + blocked nose. Doctor just gave a few meds. I asked for antibiotics and his reply was "don't need".
I had to stress that this was a repeat of the previous sickness 2 weeks ago and then he reluctantly prescribed 3 days' worth of antibiotics.
That same night, I developed a fever... :skeptical:

So next day see the same doc again. Told him got sore throat so bad that it hurts when I swallow. Doc said "oh, I'll give you some painkillers then." :scared:

My colleague's wife got it worse. She complained of phelgm to the doc & asked him for some medicine. To which the doc refused and then said she could just cough out the phelgm! :siao:

Really wonder what's wrong with the doctors nowadays??

shinri
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: What's wrong with the doctors nowadays??

Postby Oppsgal » Wed May 09, 2012 10:44 am

Go to other area's doctors to see?

Like that to and fro same doctor, expensive doctor's fees?

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby shinri » Wed May 09, 2012 11:01 am

Oppsgal wrote:Go to other area's doctors to see?

Like that to and fro same doctor, expensive doctor's fees?

Yeah.. I'm intending to visit other doctor..
Oh the previous doc I visited was under company's panel of doctors.
Dunno if this explains why they are reluctant to give antibiotics?

Me still have phelgm & bit of sore throat.. Had to "self-medicate".
Bought some watermelon frost lozenges & it works tons better than the painkillers =p

shinri
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby LOLMum » Wed May 09, 2012 11:04 am

for me, i switch to polyclinic.

been to big names medical group and private in hdb and private estates...medicine only for a week or less, expensive consultation, quick assessment and no improvement. even though the fees could be claimed, it is not worth my time....

go poly, get no...check weight and bp.......before seeing dr, check weight and bp again.....dr though mo, quite detailed.........medicine also ok.

but for cough, phlegm and runny nose, i try not to take kids to see dr immediately.......i prefer kids to blow and spit out the yucky stuff for at least a week. unless there is sore throat and fever, then see dr at once.
i dont like anti bio.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby shinri » Wed May 09, 2012 11:29 am

wah but I heard polyclinic need to wait quite long leh.. me no patience when sick.
I think it's ridiculous for doc to tell patient to cough up the phelgm.. especially when the said patient has sore throat.
Coughing will make sore throat worse.
Like 没有职业道德..

In my case, the phelgm likes to get stuck in the middle of my throat.
It's difficult to cough it out.

Hmmm your method is like my bro's. Typical japanese method to train immune system?
On the other perspective, 小病没医好,变成大病, by then it may be more difficult to cure it.
Just an opinion though.

My colleague went to polyclinic for dental check-up, need to extract tooth, have to wait a few months!
In the meantime, he was prescribed painkillers while waiting for tooth extraction date.. :skeptical:

shinri
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:36 am

Actually Singapore is also one of the nations in which antibiotics has been over used. Only bacterial infection can be cured by antibiotics. And often we can get over such an infection with proper rest and care. Also It is not useful for viral infections. That is why now-a-days antibiotics is needed only if after 3-4 days of symptoms, there is no improvement. This gives our body a chance to cure before using antibiotics as antibiotics also eliminates the useful bacteria in our body.

In fact in countries like US, if your sore throat you need to wait atleast 5 days before they may give you antibiotics even if it seems like bacterial infection.

In case of repeat infection, yes there may be a need. Like your case which does seem like strep throat .

I just say this to clear the glorification of antibiotics. It was a miracle drug, which has been abused. The medical community is taking action now, tad belatedly.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinky » Wed May 09, 2012 11:58 am

for cough, flu, stomach ailments, I seek TCM treatment, ditto for my husband and son.

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Wed May 09, 2012 1:27 pm

shinri,
without knowing the specifics of your condition, I have to say your doctor has probably got it right and you have got it wrong. It does not matter if you have a fever or not, fact is, a cold is almost always viral in nature and should NOT be treated with antibiotics. Even if this was a repeat infection. The expectations of patients that they ALWAYS be given antibiotics has driven antibiotic resistance in Singapore. Painkillers for a bad sore throat is also an appropriate treatment, for a large number of cases.

Have some faith in your physicians, they are there to provide a professional opinion and not merely a dispenser of medications.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Wed May 09, 2012 1:28 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:Actually Singapore is also one of the nations in which antibiotics has been over used. Only bacterial infection can be cured by antibiotics. And often we can get over such an infection with proper rest and care. Also It is not useful for viral infections. That is why now-a-days antibiotics is needed only if after 3-4 days of symptoms, there is no improvement. This gives our body a chance to cure before using antibiotics as antibiotics also eliminates the useful bacteria in our body.

In fact in countries like US, if your sore throat you need to wait atleast 5 days before they may give you antibiotics even if it seems like bacterial infection.

In case of repeat infection, yes there may be a need. Like your case which does seem like strep throat .

I just say this to clear the glorification of antibiotics. It was a miracle drug, which has been abused. The medical community is taking action now, tad belatedly.

Exactly. Please don't march into your GP clinic and demand for antibiotics.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby UncleLim » Wed May 09, 2012 2:26 pm

Maybe they are too busy diversifying into botox and IPL hair removal ?

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time