Teacher use Hurtful words on Student; Father call police

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Teacher use Hurtful words on Student; Father call police

Postby Joule » Thu May 10, 2012 10:56 am

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNew ... 97296.html

Errrrr, what?

An upset parent, learning that a teacher had used hurtful words on his daughter in class, has filed a police report for verbal abuse.

Mr Mohamed Ariffin, 53, said that his seven-year-old daughter, who goes to New Town Primary School in Tanglin Halt Road, told him that her teacher said to her: 'I don't want to see your face.'

Mr Ariffin made the police report last week. The school and teacher have both apologised for the incident.

The teacher is believed to be a woman in her 20s, and in the school's Learning Support for Maths programme for slow learners.


Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:45 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: Teacher use Hurtful words on Student; Father call police

Postby pair » Thu May 10, 2012 8:23 pm

Well this post is on laudable topic,this usually happen and people does not take proper action for it.

pair
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:07 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Teacher use Hurtful words on Student; Father call police

Postby hquek » Fri May 11, 2012 9:19 am

I read this and also mr brown's response to it. Hmmm, think it's a bit odd to make police report on this matter. Both sides have their own stories, so I won't know who's right.

Was musing on this. DS has a classmate in one of his classes who seems rather playful and I understand creates disturbances in class. Is it then fair if one student hold up the rest of the class, or if this one person monopolises a teacher's time with his antics? I know if it were my kid, I would feel super paiseh about it - but what would be the right way to handle leh? To ostracise seems cruel, but to let it be...hmmm

hquek
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 6535
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:07 am
Total Likes: 70


Re: Teacher use Hurtful words on Student; Father call police

Postby winchester » Fri May 11, 2012 10:19 am

hquek wrote:I read this and also mr brown's response to it. Hmmm, think it's a bit odd to make police report on this matter. Both sides have their own stories, so I won't know who's right.

Was musing on this. DS has a classmate in one of his classes who seems rather playful and I understand creates disturbances in class. Is it then fair if one student hold up the rest of the class, or if this one person monopolises a teacher's time with his antics? I know if it were my kid, I would feel super paiseh about it - but what would be the right way to handle leh? To ostracise seems cruel, but to let it be...hmmm


exactly. one side of the story only. maybe the child is disruptive. even if the teacher was "abusive", was making police report the right move? missing children, road accident, loan shark vandalism, tree fall down call police ok. teacher scolding/verbally abusing student? i not too sure. if like that can, i will make police report on my boss and colleagues. :)

winchester
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:22 am
Total Likes: 1


Re: Teacher use Hurtful words on Student; Father call police

Postby newuser » Fri May 11, 2012 10:21 am

I knew a teacher who is at her 50+ and has a quick temper. When a lower primary students handwriting are untidy, she will throw their work on the floor and get her students to pick up. Is this abuse?
She is the type of teacher of my generation.
But in today world, I think her act is inappropriate.

newuser
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:04 am
Total Likes: 0



Re: Teacher use Hurtful words on Student; Father call police

Postby winchester » Fri May 11, 2012 10:25 am

newuser wrote:I knew a teacher who is at her 50+ and has a quick temper. When a lower primary students handwriting are untidy, she will throw their work on the floor and get her students to pick up. Is this abuse?
She is the type of teacher of my generation.
But in today world, I think her act is inappropriate.


you are right. last time, teachers were mean and physical in their punishment. but that was norm. now it is unacceptable if they still slap, make students slap each other, throw book out of window etc.

now different, but scolding a child sounds alright, of cos depending on what is the scolding and what is the context.

winchester
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:22 am
Total Likes: 1


Re: Teacher use Hurtful words on Student; Father call police

Postby jesschan » Fri May 11, 2012 12:11 pm

newuser wrote:I knew a teacher who is at her 50+ and has a quick temper. When a lower primary students handwriting are untidy, she will throw their work on the floor and get her students to pick up. Is this abuse?
She is the type of teacher of my generation.
But in today world, I think her act is inappropriate.


Oh, my son just told me recently that his teacher does that in his class sometimes. And I heard of a similar story from my nephew who studies in a primary school that supposedly emphasizes on the teaching Chinese moral values.....

jesschan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:41 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Teacher use Hurtful words on Student; Father call police

Postby Daddy D » Fri May 11, 2012 2:02 pm

The other day I also threw dd's exercise book on the floor... :razz:
Teach 1 child also vomit blood liao... Cannot imagine 1 class of 40 :faint:
We need to manage our expectations...

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2745
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 3


Re: Teacher use Hurtful words on Student; Father call police

Postby alng » Fri May 11, 2012 2:24 pm

Daddy D wrote:The other day I also threw dd's exercise book on the floor... :razz:
Teach 1 child also vomit blood liao... Cannot imagine 1 class of 40 :faint:
We need to manage our expectations...


I totally agree. We should not impose unrealistic expectations on the poor teachers when we ourselves also cannot practice with our own kids.

I was guilty of tearing an assessment book for use in a tuition class once.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:27 pm
Total Likes: 36


Re: Teacher use Hurtful words on Student; Father call police

Postby LOLMum » Fri May 11, 2012 2:45 pm

Daddy D wrote:The other day I also threw dd's exercise book on the floor... :razz:
Teach 1 child also vomit blood liao... Cannot imagine 1 class of 40 :faint:
We need to manage our expectations...



This is the main reason why I cannot be the one to coach my kids. when it comes to coaching them, I will get :siao: .

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:25 pm
Total Likes: 1


Next

Return to Recess Time