how much sleep do you really need?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

how much sleep do you really need?

Postby 5mp » Sun May 13, 2012 2:16 pm

There is no magic number. It's important to pay attention to your own individual needs by assessing how you feel on different amounts of sleep: what your body is saying about your sleep needs.

In general, below table identifies the "rule-of-thumb" amounts most experts have agreed upon.

Age**************************Sleep Needs
Newborns (<=2months)******12-18 hours
Infants (3 ~ 11 months)******14-15 hours
Toddlers (1~3 years)*********12-14 hours
Preschoolers (3~5 years)******11-13 hours
[flash=]School-age kids (5~10 years)**10-11 hours [/flash]
[flash=]Teens (10~17 yeaars)********8.5-9.25 hours [/flash]
Adults************************7-9 hours
------------------------------------------Source: National Sleep Fundation

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/how-sleep-works/how-much-sleep-do-we-really-need

Can Singapore school morning session start at 8am?

5mp
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:11 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: how much sleep do you really need?

Postby LostInWoods » Sat May 19, 2012 6:58 am

5mp wrote:There is no magic number. It's important to pay attention to your own individual needs by assessing how you feel on different amounts of sleep: what your body is saying about your sleep needs.

In general, below table identifies the "rule-of-thumb" amounts most experts have agreed upon.

Age**************************Sleep Needs
Newborns (<=2months)******12-18 hours
Infants (3 ~ 11 months)******14-15 hours
Toddlers (1~3 years)*********12-14 hours
Preschoolers (3~5 years)******11-13 hours
[flash=]School-age kids (5~10 years)**10-11 hours [/flash]
[flash=]Teens (10~17 yeaars)********8.5-9.25 hours [/flash]
Adults************************7-9 hours
------------------------------------------Source: National Sleep Fundation

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/how-sleep-works/how-much-sleep-do-we-really-need

Can Singapore school morning session start at 8am?


Why? Just because ur kid sleeps late and not having enuff sleep as he needs to wake up early? You can always create a culture of sleeping early at home.

LostInWoods
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 2:54 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: how much sleep do you really need?

Postby Nebbermind » Sat May 19, 2012 7:28 am

LostInWoods wrote:
Why? Just because ur kid sleeps late and not having enuff sleep as he needs to wake up early? You can always create a culture of sleeping early at home.


Perhaps it's also parents who sleep late n struggle every morning packing the kids to school!

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 14654
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am
Total Likes: 148


Re: how much sleep do you really need?

Postby 5mp » Sun May 20, 2012 10:21 am

Nebbermind wrote:
LostInWoods wrote:Perhaps it's also parents who sleep late n struggle every morning packing the kids to school!


not true.

i try to let my kids sleep lates at 9.30pm. pls adivce if it can be earlier.

just don't want to wake them up at 5.30am but can't be even later otherwise they will not able to catch 6.10am school bus.

5mp
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:11 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: how much sleep do you really need?

Postby Precious2.lee » Sun May 20, 2012 11:34 am

IMHO, if sch starts at 8am, more parents will start sending their children from one end of S'pore to another due to "more time" to travel. This will create another problem for those staying within 1km to 2km not being able to get a chance to study in a school nearest to their home.

I think getting enough sleep is really important in any growing child. Perhaps you can send your child to school instead of taking the school bus or check if there's any private transport that can pick up your kid at a later time? Alternatively, you may consider transferring your child to another school nearer to home?

Precious2.lee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 6:00 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: how much sleep do you really need?

Postby laughingcat » Sun May 20, 2012 12:47 pm

During our time also like that and we are all doing just fine. So what's all the buzz about? :?

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1364
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:01 am
Total Likes: 1


Re: how much sleep do you really need?

Postby Mawar » Sun May 20, 2012 2:27 pm

I can cut down on some things but I must have my beauty sleep. If I don't get my 8.5 hours, I will not be able to function.

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1187
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:50 pm
Total Likes: 11


Re: how much sleep do you really need?

Postby 5mp » Sun May 20, 2012 5:08 pm

Mawar wrote:I can cut down on some things but I must have my beauty sleep. If I don't get my 8.5 hours, I will not be able to function.


same here.

but i need to clear things after kids go to bed. i usually can only start Zzz after 10.30pm, and wake up by alarm at 5.30am. so rarely get 8.5, that's why i buzz here.

and i believe i am not buzz for myself.

5mp
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:11 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: how much sleep do you really need?

Postby Eagle-Ladybird » Sun May 20, 2012 6:02 pm

My kids sleep at 8pm. They will be in their bedroom by 7.30pm, and lights off by 8pm. They will be awake on their own by about 6.30am.

My boy leaves house at 7am together with me, and we will take a relaxing stroll to school (benefit of living 500m from school).

My girl gets to sleep for another hour or so because she's in K2.

So all in, they get about 10-11 hours of sleep. Parents get a peaceful 3 hours from 8-11pm. We appreciate this little window every. We adults normally dose off about 12pm. We are very happy with this and hope to perpetuate this arrangement, but we know it's difficult, hehehe.

The above is possible, thanks to my dear wife who started "gina ford" approach from the very first day. When they were younger, they used to sleep at 7-7.30pm (it was great for us to recuperate, hahahah).

Eagle-Ladybird
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:39 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: how much sleep do you really need?

Postby laughingcat » Sun May 20, 2012 6:47 pm

I believe it all boils down to time management. If the schedule doesn't befits, then do something about it rather than hoping/waiting/demanding a change. I prefer the kids to start school early and ends early and comes home early so that they can have short afternoon nap before doing homework. Otherwise looking over their homework during evening is not possible with sleepy heads.

On the other hand, having to send the children to school at a later timing only compromise starting working hours. I don't think any boss/company would like it.

To add on......if the child needs to wake up so early for school, then most likely one is staying more than 2km from the school. Then nothing more can say since that is parents' choice and nothing to do with the school starting time.

As for adult' sleeping pattern, i believe one is old enough to manage bah.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1364
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:01 am
Total Likes: 1


Next

Return to Recess Time