Quality of principal

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Quality of principal

Postby Ay123 » Thu May 24, 2012 11:56 pm

Hi parents, please share in your view, what kind of qualities do u think a good principal should have in order to:
1) produce result
2) earn teacher's respect and they work willingly for principal
3) earn students' respect and not fearful

Ay123
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Quality of principal

Postby janet88 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:54 am

Ay123 wrote:Hi parents, please share in your view, what kind of qualities do u think a good principal should have in order to:
1) produce result

A principal should be able to earn respect from her staff and students.
When students greet her, she should reciprocate in a warm manner...this should be a 2 way traffic.

When she walks around the school, she must be able to lend a hand if she sees anyone in need of help. She should be firm, yet willing to compromise and be flexible.

A female principal should show care to students and her staff. This way, she can gain the respect. After all, a principal is like a CEO. Respect is a 2 way thing. It has to be earned. A top-down approach will not be helpful. Go to the ground level, understand problems/worries faced by kids and parents. If need to, organize workshops to help parents learn how to coach kids.
Teachers who have a caring principal will in turn show care and love for the students.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:14 am

janet_lee88 wrote: A principal should be able to earn respect from her staff and students.

Teachers who have a caring principal will in turn show care and love for the students.

I like Tao Nan Principal

http://www.edvantage.com.sg/edvantage/s ... dents.html

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:28 am

phtthp wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote: A principal should be able to earn respect from her staff and students.

I like Tao Nan Principal

http://www.edvantage.com.sg/edvantage/s ... dents.html

My children's sec sch principal will also stand at the school gates or compound to greet the students. Maybe not everyday but often enough. At start of every school year, students get a "welcome back to school" gift. The nature of the gift is also well thought out by the P as it is linked to the theme of the welcome back speech.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kwcllf » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:46 am

Ay123 wrote:Hi parents, please share in your view, what kind of qualities do u think a good principal should have in order to:
1) produce result

Just wish to comment on (1). Of course, I am not saying the rest are unimportant.

To produce results, a principal must be motivated and has the ability to cater to students with different ability to do their best. It is no use having a principal to achieve the minimum target and be satisfied.

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:34 pm

kwcllf wrote:
1) produce result

Just wish to comment on (1). Of course, I am not saying the rest are unimportant.

To produce results, a principal must be motivated and has the ability to cater to students with different ability to do their best. It is no use having a principal to achieve the minimum target and be satisfied.

It's pointless to have a principal who can just produce results and NOTHING else. The P must have IQ and EQ.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kwcllf » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:51 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:
kwcllf wrote:
1) produce result

It's pointless to have a principal who can just produce results and NOTHING else. The P must have IQ and EQ.

I didn't say other attributes are not important. I am just elaborating on point (1) cos I have dealth with one such P before. I totally agree with you that both IQ & EQ are important, plus being motivated and not being "nua" (slack).

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby resgmom » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:30 pm

Could be OT, but with the posting of principals nowadays lasting only 5 years (correct me if I'm wrong), how is the quality of principal going to affect the school? Would existing programmes implemented by the ex-principal remain? I really like DS' current principal, but with the shorter terms, unlike in the old days where principals tend to stay for years until they retire (which would really set the tone for the school), I am worried that he'll be posted out when DD enters DS's school next year.

resgmom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kwcllf » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:19 pm

resgmom wrote:Could be OT, but with the posting of principals nowadays lasting only 5 years (correct me if I'm wrong), how is the quality of principal going to affect the school? Would existing programmes implemented by the ex-principal remain? I really like DS' current principal, but with the shorter terms, unlike in the old days where principals tend to stay for years until they retire (which would really set the tone for the school), I am worried that he'll be posted out when DD enters DS's school next year.

Well, this principal that I am referring to, for some reason, has stayed for more than 5 years. It is only after a group of parents raised our concerns over the school's academic performance that certain programmes are being implemented. When the P left subsequently, it was left with the Vice P to follow through with the new P. Was told that they need time to implement some programmes. Fair enough but hope to see some concrete actions.

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:00 pm

It would be good if principals can stay at least 7 years in one school. At least he/she can take the batch from P1 to 6. When we did PV, we were so impressed with the ex-principal's caring nature. She is firm and commands respect. She is also very hands-on and friendly.

She interviewed potential PVs personally. Insisted on not more than 20 to try to take in all kids, even though there is no guarantee. Throughout the period when hubby and I did PV, she always had a warm smile and hello whenever we see her. But after we registered son for P1, she told us she was going to leave. :cry: her stay in the school was longer than usual.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time